The Rail show off thread!

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    It's nice to be back...
    You may or may not have already heard of this. Here is something I made quite some time ago, back when rails were first made public:

I am planning to return to this concept and make a 2.0 version, complete with a nicer programming interface. Wish me luck!

EDIT: Oops, it appears I just revived a dead thread.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    It's nice to be back...
    You may or may not have already heard of this. Here is something I made quite some time ago, back when rails were first made public:

I am planning to return to this concept and make a 2.0 version, complete with a nicer programming interface. Wish me luck!

well if it looks good its not a necro
    its divine resurection

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It's nice to be back...

i'd suggest you to first go to a doctor, that's a weird way of waving I must say :P
    [DOUBLEPOST=1436946273,1436946236][/DOUBLEPOST]ow and thanks!

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Purchased!
    As I had promised:

This is a late version of the Programmable Robotic Hand 2.0 running demo mode. When it is finished, I will update it in CC, and create a post for it in Logic. I will see you guys then.

Reactions: Valck and Deepy
    Reaction score

Where did you find this ship, been looking for it for ages and can't find it

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10

Completely impractical design... but I like how it's coming together.
    seems like you have set the picture to be private? Google says something in the lines of not having access to show the picture.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    seems like you have set the picture to be private? Google says something in the lines of not having access to show the picture.
    Odd.... It's set to be viewable and searchable by all. Don't know why it's failing here.

Alternative Link just in case.

EDIT: Re-uploaded on a crappier host and linked it again.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Purchased!
    Reviving this thread once again:

This is the sample storage system on my science vessel. I knew it would be more convenient if you could tell at a glance which storages have which. There are two rows that shuffle the samples down to the left. When this is done, the displays move with the samples so they remain accurate. Of course, the green lights indicate the row the samples are currently in.

Now why I'm really here:

Here is the thread I made for it in logic, it also has the download link:
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/programmable-robotic-hand-2-0.20515/

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Don't know how to record gifs in game, so I'll just have to describe it.

My capitol ship I'm building had space for fighter bays that were just barely bigger than the fighter itself, and I know from experience it would be a pain in the ass to manually fly in there and get back out again, so:

1) I rigged the bay doors to open and close one row at a time to make it look like a garage door moving up and then back down. Opening was easy, just a set of delays chained together. To get them to close in reverse order took me some trial and error, but I finally found the simplest solution was to make a NOT-DELAY-FLIPFLOP structure for each row, and to link the NOT into the opposite FLIPFLOP. When the door opens, the delays toggle the flip flops and the door goes up. When I hit it again, the NOTs activate the flip flops in reverse order so that the door comes back down.

2) Built what I call the CD Tray. Basically a scaffold platform that extends out of the bay that has several rails in a strip on it to dock on.

3) Pieced together the logic using wireless blocks so that from inside my ship I can press a button, the bay door scrolls open, the CD tray with the ship on it moves out of the bay, then automatically undocks it once its fully out. For docking, hitting any part of the tray rail will move the ship fully into locked position and automatically starts retracting the scaffold and closes the door behind you.

Next bit I want to add to it to have it automatically start retracting the scaffold after it undocks you. Just gotta spend a couple minutes looking at the logic to make sure I set it up so it doesn't try to retract as soon as it extends when you activate the bay from outside (don't want it closing while you're trying to line up and dock).

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Don't know how to record gifs in game, so I'll just have to describe it.

My capitol ship I'm building had space for fighter bays that were just barely bigger than the fighter itself, and I know from experience it would be a pain in the ass to manually fly in there and get back out again, so:

1) I rigged the bay doors to open and close one row at a time to make it look like a garage door moving up and then back down. Opening was easy, just a set of delays chained together. To get them to close in reverse order took me some trial and error, but I finally found the simplest solution was to make a NOT-DELAY-FLIPFLOP structure for each row, and to link the NOT into the opposite FLIPFLOP. When the door opens, the delays toggle the flip flops and the door goes up. When I hit it again, the NOTs activate the flip flops in reverse order so that the door comes back down.

2) Built what I call the CD Tray. Basically a scaffold platform that extends out of the bay that has several rails in a strip on it to dock on.

3) Pieced together the logic using wireless blocks so that from inside my ship I can press a button, the bay door scrolls open, the CD tray with the ship on it moves out of the bay, then automatically undocks it once its fully out. For docking, hitting any part of the tray rail will move the ship fully into locked position and automatically starts retracting the scaffold and closes the door behind you.

Next bit I want to add to it to have it automatically start retracting the scaffold after it undocks you. Just gotta spend a couple minutes looking at the logic to make sure I set it up so it doesn't try to retract as soon as it extends when you activate the bay from outside (don't want it closing while you're trying to line up and dock).
    hit the pause/break button to start. Hit it again to stop.
    go to starmade files and you'll see the GIF just above the F6 screenshot.
    use imgur if you can't upload it on the forums. for imgur: hit the upload button and browse our files.
    then once uploaded copy and paste the link into your post. Tip, don't make the GIF too long.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1440776820,1440776646][/DOUBLEPOST]
    http://imgur.com/TSPVqS9
    --- Updated post (merge), Yesterday at 12:35 PM, Original Post Date: Yesterday at 12:29 PM --- http://imgur.com/p0xL9ll
    all my rail experiments and progress on an actual walker!

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    hit the pause/break button to start. Hit it again to stop.
    Ah, gratci. Didn't realize it was actually built into Starmade. That makes things a hell of a lot easier!

Don't have anyone else to fly the ship, so had to jump around a bit to get the shot, but I think it gives the basic idea.

Then the same thing in reverse with a press of the same button to launch.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Ah, gratci. Didn't realize it was actually built into Starmade. That makes things a hell of a lot easier!

Don't have anyone else to fly the ship, so had to jump around a bit to get the shot, but I think it gives the basic idea.

Then the same thing in reverse with a press of the same button to launch.
    smart choise to use blast doors instead of blocks on rails, it wouldn't fit anywhere :D
    it looks cool, you don't see many people taking the time and patience to give blast doors an animation.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    since when do rails make lag? that only happens if you don't turn off your rails and there are multiple entities on it.
    Its the same reason docked power generators create lag. The system is constantly running collision checks.