The Power overhaul!

Reaction score
    I would love to see solar armor as an option, that is solar collection. It could be like hull and get as tough as standard armor.. this brings surface area into calc.

This is my prime suggestion.
    [doublepost=1488094491,1488093720][/doublepost]Further: cores could consist of the following (as explained by a power supply student):

In a simple view of things.

Power, the ability to do work.

How much do you make persecond and how far can you get that power to the things that need it? When demand is high, how long will it take to react? What are the draw backs to providing emergency power? When multiple units are brought online, why do they harmonize and not clash?
    [doublepost=1488096322][/doublepost]So, I put to you the additional new blocks:

The booster, this will be additional to conduit, it will extend conduit range, and provide rpg people a reason to have crew. What with repairs and all.

Power Computer, type; emergency power, this will give temporary combat power.
    Heat Management computer.
    Heat sink and heat sink conduit, hot and cool. This enhances core and other heat sensitive systems to provide normal and emergency effecency boosts. Careful not to do to much! A cold engine is also less efficient! (More crew management! )

Multi Core power effecency regulator computer and synchro blocks.
    To achieve best power generators have to work harmoniously. Pushing together, pulling together. If one in three pulls while others push. You have only one engine effectively. This can be another mini game where by every 30 seconds data on the cores can be ie core one, 5. Core two, 3. Core three, -1. If left unchanged the net system output (to be simplistic), would be 7. People can access the console and increase lead on two by 2, three needs a restart to be synchronized.
    Cores should be OK unless hit. Or emergency power triggers desync.
    Additionally you might want to have two cores at opposite values to lower sensor paternity, without turning of the engine... to save time for surprise attack.

Reactor capacitance. Battery should be for turrets and subsystems. Reactors should have capacity. To deal with changing power drain. Capacity can be used during core black out, too maintain a level of battery as the core spins down its production (weather by power down or damage).
    [doublepost=1488096772][/doublepost]So a large reactor makes large power, but takes a space week to get up to emergency power! Lots of small reactors spin up quickly for emergency power/battle mode.

A core should not generate power it is not using! Now we can add a bleed off block for excess. Or it could be dumped into batterys. Because if you are making x power but using less than x. Where is this being made up? Heat? If it's like reality you're nearing a core meltdown. And a boom!
    [doublepost=1488096944][/doublepost]I have other ideas. It would bring stealth into the game.

Heat is the sensor factor, forget how big something is!
    [doublepost=1488097890][/doublepost]Then you could introduce torpedoes...

They could have warhead cores, unguided without the Bobby ai, they will activate thruster on release, and when warhead reaches a block after a delay (adjusted via warheadcore) will detonate, with damage as if the associated weapons blocks had fired under normal circumstances. But with 20x the power.

Ion blocks can desync cores if not out right stop them.

Shield blocks drain shields

Stop cuts engines, push pull remains the same.
    [doublepost=1488098085][/doublepost]Reason being they could be difficult to track as they would be effectively a suicide stealth shuttle. Add a remote pilot feature to starmade, and it really will be!

New idea Coms block to comand and controll!

Reactions: Ghent96
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Creative ideas... You might be able to do this with some custom block mods; however the main point remains, that there are a LOT of different ideas and suggestions the devs could implement to alter / rebalance the power system without resorting to a complete overhaul as proposed in their suggestion thread last week. The devs' idea is ill advised and poorly thought out, and contrary to what they said, they haven't tried _anything_ yet as a potential fix... assuming, of course, that power is even broken in the first place, which it isn't.

Reaction score
    Creative ideas... You might be able to do this with some custom block mods; however the main point remains, that there are a LOT of different ideas and suggestions the devs could implement to alter / rebalance the power system without resorting to a complete overhaul as proposed in their suggestion thread last week. The devs' idea is ill advised and poorly thought out, and contrary to what they said, they haven't tried _anything_ yet as a potential fix... assuming, of course, that power is even broken in the first place, which it isn't.
    I disagree. The original power favors large ship, large turrets and spam.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Absolutely not. The current power system favors docking extreme numbers of small ships and turrets together, taking advantage of docked armor exploits, core power capacity, and the power softcap. Large ships and large turrets are incredibly inefficient.

Reactions: Master_Artificer
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The original _balance_ may have led to large ships, but not the system itself. Player behavior and smaller ships is effected most efficiently now by a mere rebalance of stats.

Reaction score
    Absolutely not. The current power system favors docking extreme numbers of small ships and turrets together, taking advantage of docked armor exploits, core power capacity, and the power softcap. Large ships and large turrets are incredibly inefficient.
    In other words. Spam. My definition of large, probly isn't yours. But regardless I feel your statement is encompassed by my original, spam.
    [doublepost=1488505686,1488504763][/doublepost]Any decent ship design should in theory need a max of 2 ship to ship turrets, about 2 antimissle and a host of player controlled fore weapons I feel the cluster misses are a laughable inclusion to the game being that they are also highly cable of hitting targets and doing multible passes.

My ideas would make large ships have to consider power supply lines. A group of systems would be severed if a power conduit was Seperate. Legitimacy of large groups of systems is then given and fighters could stand a chance of interrupting flanks of systems. Causing stratagem to be more relevant.
    [doublepost=1488506339][/doublepost]Include emp bleed trough all systems ending at power supply. And emp effect could be used to strategically disable systems attached to that grid.

Reaction score
    that's jokes, personal design opinions versus mathematical facts