The new 3d model export system: Just why?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    EDIT: I retract my post. It seems it was just a mess up on my end.

Last edited:

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    I'd be interested in hearing more of the specifics about what process you're using to import the models. The image below is the same as was included in the news post, however all I did was drag and drop the .obj file into a rendering scene I have set up in 3ds Max. No additional work, no texture mapping done by me, all of it was done by StarMade. The only thing I had to do was turn down the Specularity on the texture. I've exported numerous other times, as well as seen successful exports by others, so I've not seen any of the issues you described but would like to help narrow down the cause if possible.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    I was genuinely not expecting a prompt reply, but i'd be glad to provide the information. I'm using the latest version of Blender, at the moment.
    I really didn't do anything special aside from import the .obj file into Blender using it's import function, after i had StarMade export the ship i was trying to model.
    What resulted was a 81.8MB .obj file, which can be found here.
    After i got the previous result with the StarMade export, i went to the old SMtoOBJ tool and used it (which, as stated, does not work with Chunk32).
    It provided a workable wireframe and texture map that Blender seemed more than happy to use, abiet, i am having to manually position the turrets.

Id' be very interested in knowing what exactly is going wrong, since i was really excited about this feature.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    I was genuinely not expecting a prompt reply, but i'd be glad to provide the information. I'm using the latest version of Blender, at the moment.
    I really didn't do anything special aside from import the .obj file into Blender using it's import function, after i had StarMade export the ship i was trying to model.
    What resulted was a 81.8MB .obj file, which can be found here.
    After i got the previous result with the StarMade export, i went to the old SMtoOBJ tool and used it (which, as stated, does not work with Chunk32).
    It provided a workable wireframe and texture map that Blender seemed more than happy to use, abiet, i am having to manually position the turrets.

Id' be very interested in knowing what exactly is going wrong, since i was really excited about this feature.
    I just tried to import the file you provided, but wasn't able to get anything from the file, as in nothing would load up in 3ds Max. Are you only getting a .obj file when you export using the "Export as 3D model" button in the in-game catalog window?

After exporting using that button (after naming the export) you should get a folder of the same name in your StarMade directory containing the following files:

Then I just grabbed the .obj file and drug it into 3ds Max, with this as the result:

So whatever the issue, I hope that it isn't a common problem, as how it's behaving for you hasn't been my experience in helping Schema test the feature. With .obj being a fairly universal file type for 3D software I didn't test in Blender, so if anyone else has imported into Blender, either successfully or not I'd like to see the results.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    After reinstalling starmade the system worked flawlessly - it appears to have just been a bug. Thank you for your help, though!

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    After reinstalling starmade the system worked flawlessly - it appears to have just been a bug. Thank you for your help, though!
    Huzzah! A great victory was had this day! Glad to hear it's working and I'd love to see what you do with the models in the future. You can either post a thread of your own or you can drop a post in my 3D thread in "Schine!" on the forums. Happy modeling!

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    This seems easy enough that maybe I could do it!
    Just drag and drop you say?
    just drag and drop just drag and drop just drag and drop just drag and drop just drag and drop...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Anybody know how to make blender use the textures? I can import the model but it is untextured.