The Hyper-Realm, non-instantaneous FTL travel method

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sounds a bit like Babylon 5\'s hyperspace (http://babylon5.wikia.com/wiki/Hyperspace)

and it sounds good!

Reaction score
    Sure, the name daemon was from 40k (mentioned by NATO to me in a convo), thats as much as i \"ripped off\" for the RP and design concept, forgive me if i reached a similar facsimile, ill point out that aside from the \"daemon\" thing, i have practically ZERO experience or knowledge of 40k, and if the similarity bothers folks, change the name, but do the demons in 40k literally exist as ethereal creatures who convert mass to energy in order to grow>?? (the realm is what i care about regardless, other mobs/ships or hazards can be substituted)\\

\"Make it moderately trippy and make it slowly deal damage to ships over time. That way only heavily shielded ships can stay in it for long periods of time, favoring it as a means of travel for large ships. Once shielding inside hyperspace wears off, it should deal block damage, the same way that suns do right now. \"

I did suggest all of that

Ill refer you to lines 7, 8, 15, 16

Those 4 address your wishlist (the realms \"look\" being entirely up to schema)

Reaction score
    Calibri: Please learn to read.

It\'s not the name, it\'s the concept of \"horrible demons in hyperspace realm that destroy ships\". ORIGINAL CONTENT DO NOT STEAL GUISE!

It\'s not a matter of similarity, it\'s that it\'s the exact same fucking thing. What\'s more, you\'ll eventually totally lose access to the warp with your demons, since they\'ll eventually grow big enough to block out everything. Without autorepair modules, you can\'t bring a ship through intact.

I suggested only damage over time. If you take offense to me agreeing with part of your idea, you have a serious issue, although you failed to specify that block damage only occurs when shields are down, which means ships could incur severe damage to complex power plants and outright kill smaller ships. 15 is an obvious resultant function of linear shield degredation, although it will need to scale with ship size to a degree. 16 has to do with your 40k ripoff daemons.

Oh, and your fluff for how physics work? Painfully retarded. We\'re trying to keep some semblence of believability here, remember. Or are you not familiar with the term \"suspension of disbelief\"?

Reaction score
    Alternate dimension, demons... original?? I am totally ripping off the Bible there right? you know 40k isnt the origin of all ideas right?

The word \"daemon\" by the way is latin for demon, and thus was ripped off from the romans by 40k

Again, ignore the demons if you like, idc.

These *mops/pirates/spaceghosts/slinky\'s/whatamacallits*

They also wouldnt crowd out the hyper-realm as suggested

\"12. Ample cannon fire can disrupt Ethereal-Daemons, reducing their size (and potentially returning them to the Hyper-Realm) and eventually obliterating them (once they are reduced below 1 block), time can also eventually reduce them back to their natural state of 1 block\"

\"**time can also eventually reduce them back to their natural state of 1 block**\"

at which point they can obviouslty be despawned.

\"I suggested only damage over time. If you take offense to me agreeing with part of your idea, you have a serious issue, although you failed to specify that block damage only occurs when shields are down, which means ships could incur severe damage to complex power plants and outright kill smaller ships.\"

• \"Make it moderately trippy and make it slowly deal damage to ships over time. That way only heavily shielded ships can stay in it for long periods of time, favoring it as a means of travel for large ships. \"

• Line 7 of my post
    • \"Shields will not recharge while in hyper space, and shield reserves will drain at a constant rate\"

• \"Once shielding inside hyperspace wears off, it should deal block damage, the same way that suns do right now.

• Line 8
    • \"Unshielded ships become vulnerable to matter ablation (your blocks start to dissolve, just like the damage you receive when too near a star)\"

lines 15 & 16 are related as they address the amount of sheilding available on large/small ships (generally speaking large ships tend to have more sheilds) thats why i linked them as potentially relevant (and if you ignore the -Redacted- in line 16 youll see that it does also talk about the small sheild size and its relevance to time in hyper-realm)

When you mention my \"fluff for how physics work\" which topic specifically are you refering too? If i posted something \"painfully\" wrong in the general concept of physics, i\'d prefer to find and fix the error.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    So, reading more of what Calbiri is suggesting, it seems like he was talking more like a block slime that eats your ship to make bigger box slime. So maybe we can end the 40k discussion and talk about a different idea....

This block that flies around and eats another block and grows... seems a lot like the age old game, Snake. Its a haunting idea really, snakes of blazing white ethereal blocks, on a background of orangish hell, running across like lightning striking repeatedly at your ship, jarring you with each blow. And when it takes blocks from your ship it gets longer and more aggressive. Growing exponentially from a one block thick line to a cap eater this thing is your nightmare.

Reaction score
    Commander, I thought the same thing reading the idea. It was obviously influenced by WH40K\'s warp, but the whole chilling in hyperspace reminded me very much of Babylon 5. And, frankly, I would much rather see that than the warp.

Have it so that a new type of hyperspace engine is required to open a portal to hyperspace. Any ship can enter the portal, no matter it\'s size. However small ships wouldn\'t be able to field this engine due to size and power limitations. The portal can be kept open indfinitely and the ship that opens it doesn\'t need to enter it. However as long as the portal is open it drains quite a lot of power, meaning it will only stay open for as long as the ship can supply power to the hyperspace engine. Which even for massive ships wouldn\'t be forever.

Instead of relying on mobs I\'d, again, rip off Bab5 and make hyperspace simply dangerous to navigate due to getting lost. It would be free-roam like normal space, but if you leave the invisible \"paths\" you wont be able to re-enter normal space until you get back on those paths. There would be no way of knowing where the paths are, as there are absolutely zero indications of their locations.

This opens up a new role for players, explorers. They can take the dangerous job of scouting hyperspace for safe transit lanes and then plonking down navigation beacons so that players can follow those. It also provides a counter-play that was brought up. Since if you wanted to deny a region you could go in there and wipe out the nav beacons, making it exceptionally difficult for other players to navigate their way through.

To get back into normal space you would have to open up a portal, same way as you got in. But again you would have to be on the set paths for this to work. Otherwise you simply couldn\'t leave. Or, perhaps, have it so that if you are not on the paths when you try to leave, it will send you to any random location in the entire universe. So you might potentially end up thousands of sectors away. Not a risk many would be willing to take.

When in hyperspace there is few downsides. You wouldn\'t take any sort of dot, you could stay there for as long as you wanted. However shields and weapons wouldn\'t work as well. Weapon trajectories could alter randomly so you risk hitting yourself with your AMC. And shields wouldn\'t reliably stay online. This would make fighting possible, but risky as you are just as likely to hurt yourself as you are the enemy.

Personally, I would much prefer this than WH40K\'s warp. I was never a big fan of the warp. Daemons and all that. If we\'re going for another realm, I want babylon 5\'s hyperspace.

Reaction score
    >Alternate dimension, demons... original?? I am totally ripping off the Bible there right? you know 40k isnt the origin of all ideas right?

I don\'t really know what you\'re trying to say here. You\'re saying that you\'re ripping the idea of a dangerous, demon-infested \"warp\" from the Bible, not from 40k? Damn son, I want to get my hands on the Bible you read, sounds a lot more interesting than the one I\'m familiar with.

>The word \"daemon\" by the way is latin for demon, and thus was ripped off from the romans by 40k

hurr. If you hadn\'t noticed, 40k uses a lot of latin and pseudo-latin. It helps evoke the parallels between the Catholic Church and the Imperial Cult.

>ignore the demons if you like, idc

But then it\'s just another dimention where you take damage and move further in the normal world.

>12. Ample cannon fire can disrupt Ethereal-Daemons, reducing their size (and potentially returning them to the Hyper-Realm) and eventually obliterating them (once they are reduced below 1 block), time can also eventually reduce them back to their natural state of 1 block

I thought you said I could ignore the retarded 40k-ripoff voxel demons. Also, nice job promoting gigantism, lel.

>more quotes and shit in which you contradict yourself and prove that you drew the entire concept way too far out

All of which are different from what I suggested. No need to get your panties in a knot over it. Your idea has some serious flaws that would need to be adressed. I believe it is a bad idea, and while the core concept may be solid, the way you want to see it executed leaves much to be desired. Not to mention that it\'s a 40k ripoff (and that you\'re getting really defensive about it). Not only are you making it overly complex and bloated, but it\'s unbalanced to boot, and when I suggest fixes, you try and claim them as your own ideas. You\'ve got this long drawn-out thing about the exact mechanics of the warp, while I want to see \"trippy empty alt-dimension where you jump in, travel, jump out, and you\'ve gone 10 times further in the normal world than you did in the alt-dimension. When in the alt-dimension, you take percentage shield damage, and block damage when shields are dead\". Two sentences, instead of two dozen bullet points and paragraphs of explanation.

Oh, and when I mention your fluff about physics, I\'m talking about your fluff about physics. It\'s stupid. Not sure how that\'s hard to understand.

Reaction score
    Reminds me of Warp travel from Warhammer 40k.

If something like this Warp Travel is implemented I feel the more mass a ship has the higher the chances it will get damaged/destroyed.

I think this would be cool, but probably harder to implement that a mass relay or warp gate. Basically Warp Gates/Mass Relays could grant near-instantaneous travel between long distances by just entering the block configuration and the game could change your coordinates from one gate to the other. A slight chance to be obliterated would be nice too, lol. This would keep people using regular space and if the giant ships can\'t fit oh well. Make a bigger gate or deal with slowly moving that thing.

I think it would be neat to find gates naturally occuring in the universe, similar to space stations, linked to distant parts of the galaxy for exploring.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Dont be so hyper critical. He\'s only trying to imagine a balanced meathod of traveling through a stupendous universe. Don\'t worry about if it\'s similar to 40k. this is genuinely a case of \'all similarities to other people, ideas, or things is purely coincidental\' this really would be a balanced form of fast travel. This is equally as creative as EVERYBODY else is. There is no talk of genuine physics here so those points are null, his hyperspace ideas have everyright to be as similar to 40k as starmade is to minecraft. The bible references are scarasm so get over them. He never contradicted himself and he also never stole any ideas from within this post, in which he proved by citing himself. so relax, it\'s a game. don\'t hate me for hating the hate, I just want people to be a bit level headed.

Reaction score
    Sadly this does sound like a rip off. Sorry your idea was pretty neet though. Never the less it was too mindcraft nether realm for me anyways. Hyperspace demons? I don\'t know, not really the sci-fi I think the devs were going for. Besides my idea is the Awesomite L3 to your Succumite L1:

I think it would be better if hyperspace had lag- errr, I mean \"grav-wind\" and was full of glitc- *AHEM* \"hyper-dimensional shifts\". Traveling through hyperspace would not only be tedius, due to \"winds\" blowing you around or nearly freezing you in place, but also dangerouse as the hyper dimensional shifts could teleport bits of the ship 3km away or perhaps the pilot himself. The invisible \"hyper-walls\" throughout hyperspace would make anything over 100m wide a giant coffin. Smaller ships though would be guaranteed to be thrown around and have their nav computers garbled. The cries of hundreds of distress calls painfully muted, captains would only brave this dimensional travel under the most extreme cases. Only if that was the end, vet pilots hush the rumors of the dreaded space kraken having eaten entire ships leaving but the pulsing blue core and it\'s crew no escape but suicide.

If you were smart enough you\'d leave well enough alone and strap 100 thruster mods to your hull prancing through norm-space. Pirates and rogue AI being dangerouse enough as is, you\'d stick to mining roids and glass from abandonned stations. The thousands of wrecked newbie ships and bodies of many beta-testers having no effect on your decision you\'d ignore all warnings and delve into the misty dimensional folds, head first, ofcourse.

To be certain hyper-travel should be a mid/end career choice costing insane amounts of credits/resources to even open a portal to this un-godly plane. The rewards of this insane jaunt into the unknown un-doubtfully meaningless compared to your physical corporeality. The taste of infinite L5 compounds and near instantaneouse travel to other sectors wet on your tounge leaving you helpless to surely die in the gli- uhhh, \"hyper-grav-wind-shifts\" filled nightmare, or quite unbelievably become rich beyond reason.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I quite like this idead but it would be a shame if it replaced ordinary space travel.
    So I think its very important that there is a good balance.
    Great idea anyways!

Reaction score
    obvious troll in this thread. gigantism? really? try harder.

obviously nothing said here is set in stone, this is the basic idea. the deatils are up for discussion (hurdur we are on a forum)

>travel by system istead of sector in another game dimension

>hazards in said dimension

>hard to access said dimension

regardless of this being a ripoff of anything, if you aint trollin you must be tarded. trashing this entire idea because warhammer40k... with that logic, only the original thing is any good, so 40k must suck dick since it takes just about everything in it from other things. actually the only original ideas at all that being said would be compleatly new discoveries. /trollbaitingonpurpose

the basic idea is great, but details will make it awesome.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I agree that some kind of Hyperspace that is incredibly dangerous to linger in due to edlrtich abominations becoming aware of your presence would be awesome.

i predict a situation where players attempt to design ships specifically to survive in such a harsh environment for a very long time, Hyperspace Cruisers. Of course, this just increases the amount of eldritch devouring beings in the hypersector.

I also feel that\'s accessing hyperspace/warp, without very careful precautions (like limiting the amount of food it has to reproduce kn our worldand having a well protected ship), will cause it to temporarily leak out into the main universe, meaning players have both an industry and a weapon: the industry is from factions that control and open hyperspace routes for other ships, the weapon is discretely opening up a station to the hyperspace beings.

Reaction score
    what if you had hyper-realm clocking to protect ships from daemons? it would be limited to smaller ships by block limits or something.

Reaction score
    that\'s what it is but dissimilar enough not to get sued on copyright infringements.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Perhaps some mechanic/system that involves building a massive construct which locks an area around it out of subspace - but allows gate use (the gates mentioned in the OP?) - this would mean that if you had an insane enough amount of money/blocks, you could build a massive gate and a massive subspace jammer, place them together, and have a very useful and relatively secure base.

Obviously with the max credit limit, such a construct would have to be hand-built and would not be purchaseable from the catalog, which would in turn make it\'s eventual destruction highly significant for it\'s owners.