The game is much worse than it was a year ago for me

Reaction score
    I used to play a lot of starmade about a year ago, but ended up quitting because of obnoxiously poor performance and a staggering amount of game-breaking glitches. That's all normal, I know that, so I decided to return a week ago to see how that game has progressed. So far almost every single change I have scene is explicitly negative. Here is a quick rundown of the things I noticed (I play single player btw):

-All weapons were massively nerfed. I have no idea why this happened but antimatter cannons are something like 5 times more expensive, and 10 times less useful than they were a year ago. They are completely unsatisfying and also completely useless unless you have an incredible number of them, which is much harder to get now because they are way more expensive and money is far harder to come by.

-Salvage Rays are now burst weapons. The change from continuous ray to burst doesn't even balance anything it is just more time consuming and less fun now. I have no idea why this or the cannons were changed.

-Despite looking cooler now, prefab stations serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever as far as I know. Before they were very useful for either just setting up camp and making yourself a temporary home, or strip mining and getting a large initial boost of credits. Now they are eye candy, yay.

-All of the previously commonplace ways of generating inital income are gone. Ice Crystals and Cacti are now worth as much as grass, stations aren't mineable, and salvage rays themselves got nerfed hard. The only reliable way to make early credits right now as far as I know is to mine minerals, but it is far slower and far more tedious than the old methods.

-There is a huge emphasis on crafting to generate credits. I'm assuming this change was made because Schema felt that factories were underused, but factories suck ass to begin with because of how time consuming, as well as straight up not very profitable they are, so IMO this is a huge mistake.

-The official wiki wasn't updated to reflect almost any of the recent major changes, so me, and all other new players, are left to figure out a game that has a lot of confusing and totally arbitrary mechanics like 3 axis reactor building completely on our own.

-The old weapon balancing mechanics have been completely removed it seems, if I want to increase the speed of my AM cannons instead of damage, I am apparently screwed, which is a double whammy because AM cannons are extremely slow now at the start.

-Planets still aren't very efficient. It is very obvious when you land on the surface of a planet and get plagued with warnings about heavy memory usage that way more is being rendered / stored in memory than there has any place being.

-As a result of the other major changes, such as the difficulty in obtaining credits early on in the game, as well as weapons being extremely expensive as well as weak, fighting pirates is no longer a viable strategy unless you spend a ridiculous amount of time grinding credits out with very slow factory methods until you have enough money or resources to build an enormous ship.

-Jump Drives, despite being a much needed addition to the game, are poorly implemented in my opinion because instead of having a long cooldown, or a shorter distance, you have to just sit there charging it up until it is ready to go, creating an illusion of really doing anything which you aren't you are just wasting time when you charge it up.

There are probably quite a few other annoying things that I noticed but forgot as well, but I think that pretty well covers it, because my point is not about individual elements but rather a very concerning direction the game is going in (at least to me.) A lot of the nerfs, hindrances, and changes to the game seem to make no sense whatsoever and were probably only implemented because the designer wanted the game to be played differently, but not because anything really needed to be changed.

What do you guys think?

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    -All weapons were massively nerfed. I have no idea why this happened but antimatter cannons are something like 5 times more expensive, and 10 times less useful than they were a year ago. They are completely unsatisfying and also completely useless unless you have an incredible number of them, which is much harder to get now because they are way more expensive and money is far harder to come by.

-Salvage Rays are now burst weapons. The change from continuous ray to burst doesn't even balance anything it is just more time consuming and less fun now. I have no idea why this or the cannons were changed.

-The old weapon balancing mechanics have been completely removed it seems, if I want to increase the speed of my AM cannons instead of damage, I am apparently screwed, which is a double whammy because AM cannons are extremely slow now at the start.
    You do know about weapon-linking, right?
    You increase fire-rate by linking another AMC computer(with it's respective module) to the main weapon(or salavage array).
    Salvage beams e.g. will become continuus if you have as many AMC modules on the AMC computer, as you have salvage modules on the salvage computer.
    (Other weapon systems adjust the stats in a different way)

Reactions: SkylordLuke

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    That is because the weapon system was remade, and rebalanced. The old system was broken as fuck in quite a few regards. While the new system does have some problems, it is still far superior honestly.

Part of the weapon changes was the introduction of Slaves and Effects. If you take the time to do the tutorial or ask around, you'll see that it does offer a lot of customization of weapons (including constant salvagers).

-All of the previously commonplace ways of generating inital income are gone. Ice Crystals and Cacti are now worth as much as grass, stations aren't mineable, and salvage rays themselves got nerfed hard. The only reliable way to make early credits right now as far as I know is to mine minerals, but it is far slower and far more tedious than the old methods.
    The old method included a very broken economy which was based around everyone getting infinite of everything very quickly. The new system is somewhat grindy to start, but does get faster when you figure it out (like x6 mining, or locations of the asteroids you want).

-The official wiki wasn't updated to reflect almost any of the recent major changes, so me, and all other new players, are left to figure out a game that has a lot of confusing and totally arbitrary mechanics like 3 axis reactor building completely on our own.
    I'd have to ask what you are using, because the Official wiki, as listed at the top of the forums, is entirely up to date and in-depth with power, it's probably the best article in there.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    1 - This is part of the new weapon system, which I am going to assume you know little about. There are now something like 75 weapon combinations that all act differently. Frankly, weapons were OP. It shouldn't be easy to instantly wipe out entire sections of a ship. Thats not a gun, it's a superweapon. We do not need that firepower on every ship we build.

2 - You get just as much during the burst as you did before IIRC. The burst has no impact on how fast you mine. Slaving a cannon system to is makes it rapid fire and non-stop. Slaving damage beams increases range.

3 - The prefab stations add variety to what was already there. You can do everything you used to be able to do now.

4 - Just because crystals do not give you absurd amounts of credits does not mean it is impossible to get money or resources. Just find out what sells for better.

5 - I have a factory on my homebase that was made by someone else. It can create 10000 of any item at it's peak and it auto pulls resources. Sure, that is end game. But understand that you shouldn't be getting that quantity of resources without putting in a bit of work. Also, the game is starting to push for the survival aspect. Otherwise we would be playing an over-glorified ship building program. Bit boring.

6 - By official wiki, I hope you mean the one that you can access from this website. http://starmadepedia.net/wiki/StarMade_Wiki
    There have been a few people that are working really hard to fill up it's information. I assume you went to an unofficial wiki instead.

7 - Again, investigate weapon linking.

8 - The reason planets are inefficient is due to collisions. If you land a ship and it stops moving, no more collisions will be detected and you will be fine. If it rolls around on the planet, then it will blow up your performance. There are ways to avoid this. Build a ship that lands in a stable state or dock it to the planet. The current performance is a light year ahead of what it once was. The players that have continuously played for the past year can attest to this.

9 - There are changes you can perform in the config files to fix this. I expect the devs will not leave us so helpless in the final form of the game. Weapons are not useless if you know which ones are good for certain situations.

10 - Devs have already explained this one away. If a jump drive charging was an instantaneous action, then there would in effect be no consequences for warping into the midst of an enemy fleet. This is a balancing issue. Jump drives are an expensive tool. Having more of them on board a ship quickens the recharge rate. You can also place multiple individual system to increase the rate of jumps in a short amount of time. There are no means of interdiction or tackling currently so until those parts of the game are in, this is the only option.

To be honest, I think you jumped into the game without researching enough of the changes. And that has lead to the ignorance that is this response. Most people have been applauding the changes and there have been tweaks to the crafting system and values based on player feedback. The devs are creating a council of players to represent the ideas that the community has and present them to the developers. Please do not assume the devs are doing things 'just because' They have a solid idea as to what needs to happen. There may need to be tweaks, but parts of the puzzle are not here yet. It's tough to start but not impossible to really get going in the game. My faction has millions of resources, thousands of factions points, and we only own a few systems. You just gotta learn to play with this new system, and not rely on experiences from over a year ago.

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    1 They were nerfed because overpowered weapons ends badly for multiplayer, which is really where the heart of this game is.

2 No they aren't. See weapon linking. That added a lot of much-needed depth to the game.

3 How is better stations supposed to be a bad thing? Everyone else loved the change.

4 Oh no, you have to actually try. They're moving out of the spot where that sort of thing is possible for the purpose of testing the upper limits of the game, and now it's heading into balancing/adding new features mode.

5 That was the single best change for multiplayer Schema made outside of the weapons update.

6 Sounds like you're looking at the wrong wiki.

7 See #2.

8 Then don't go near planets until the game's not in ALPHA any more? They've been improved quite a bit and this seems to be an issue only pertaining to people with bad computers. If you want a quick fix, go into the server.cfg and turn down the planet radius amounts.

9 Fighting pirates isn't hard, you're just bad at it. No offense, of course.

10 Oh just deal with it, everybody but you loves them.

11 They nerfed the game because they're trying to actually have some sort of balancing involved.

Reactions: SkylordLuke
    Reaction score
    To be completely honest, the official wiki is rather lacking on some subjects, needs updating to the most recent changes. But if I can figure stuff out, then anyone can... Tutorials, fora, unofficial sources -- it's like every other game today: There is no full manual.

And if yer on the sandbox server (like I am -- cuz my pc is crap and can barely handle solitaire) I have one word for ya: console commands (ok 2 words...) ---> CHEAT it's alpha! Honestly though, even if I could play with others I would probably wait until an actual economy and functioning galaxy was implemented. PvP isn't my thing. But exploration is. Until that comes around, I'm gunna build stuff and accept the limitations (and complain, I'm good at that...)

So, I dunno what to say. Come back in another year?

Reaction score
    I used to play a lot of starmade about a year ago, but ended up quitting because of obnoxiously poor performance and a staggering amount of game-breaking glitches. That's all normal, I know that, so I decided to return a week ago to see how that game has progressed. So far almost every single change I have scene is explicitly negative. Here is a quick rundown of the things I noticed (I play single player btw):

-Despite looking cooler now, prefab stations serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever as far as I know. Before they were very useful for either just setting up camp and making yourself a temporary home, or strip mining and getting a large initial boost of credits. Now they are eye candy, yay.

-There is a huge emphasis on crafting to generate credits. I'm assuming this change was made because Schema felt that factories were underused, but factories suck ass to begin with because of how time consuming, as well as straight up not very profitable they are, so IMO this is a huge mistake.

-Planets still aren't very efficient. It is very obvious when you land on the surface of a planet and get plagued with warnings about heavy memory usage that way more is being rendered / stored in memory than there has any place being.

-As a result of the other major changes, such as the difficulty in obtaining credits early on in the game, as well as weapons being extremely expensive as well as weak, fighting pirates is no longer a viable strategy unless you spend a ridiculous amount of time grinding credits out with very slow factory methods until you have enough money or resources to build an enormous ship.

-Jump Drives, despite being a much needed addition to the game, are poorly implemented in my opinion because instead of having a long cooldown, or a shorter distance, you have to just sit there charging it up until it is ready to go, creating an illusion of really doing anything which you aren't you are just wasting time when you charge it up.

There are probably quite a few other annoying things that I noticed but forgot as well, but I think that pretty well covers it, because my point is not about individual elements but rather a very concerning direction the game is going in (at least to me.) A lot of the nerfs, hindrances, and changes to the game seem to make no sense whatsoever and were probably only implemented because the designer wanted the game to be played differently, but not because anything really needed to be changed.

What do you guys think?
    Single player mode...

Does not allow for interaction with other players and exposure to different ways of playing StarMade.

It also does not allow you to be exposed to:
    New Ideas - You mean I can just link a single pulse computer to a cannon computer to get "lock on" capability???
    Answers to questions - "What the best anti-pirate weapon?" "How do you make credits?"
    Faction help (if you join one)

Weapons - ask more questions, your statements above show you do not understand the last round of changes
    Salvage - same as above, try linking
    Planets - Sadly I agree with you
    Wiki - I also wish there was better on line documentation.
    Jump Drives - there are 2 types fast charge and slow charge, just depends on how you build them

If you have just given up on StarMade, send me a private message. I will send you our server info, you can hang out with our faction and we can answer some questions.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Your problem comes from a staggering ignorance of the new (and old) game mechanics. Things have changed, they behave very differently now. Trying to reproduce old results with entirely different mechanics just won't work. And if you had to rely exploits and broken features so badly to make the game enjoyable than just use admin commands.

Seriously, go do the tutorial.

Ps: Don't land on planets with a big ship. It's a bad idea, always has been.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I kinda agree with him on jump drives, though. They are kind of boring.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yay, replace jump drives with slipstream from Andromeda.
    It has problems near big masses a lot bigger than your ship which kinda makes gates an interesting choice near Stars or Planets.

Reaction score
    Credits are too hard to get now?
    1. find a shop with high prices
    2. find a shop with low prices
    3. buy as much as you can afford from the shop with low prices, and sell it to the shop with high prices

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Yay, replace jump drives with slipstream from Andromeda.
    It has problems near big masses a lot bigger than your ship which kinda makes gates an interesting choice near Stars or Planets.
    I read up on the Slipstream from Andromeda, and I gotta say something like that in Star made would be interesting.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I read up on the Slipstream from Andromeda, and I gotta say something like that in Star made would be interesting.
    I find it an interesting concept, but potentially very annoying for gameplay due to its randomness.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I find it an interesting concept, but potentially very annoying for gameplay due to its randomness.
    Some would call it more interesting ;)
    I made a thread about slipstream-mechanics some time ago... maybe you have to update this idea for the new galaxy system generation.

Reaction score
    I just have to boggle at the "factories are useless and time consuming" thing. I have to wonder if we are playing the same game, because with enough enhancers my factories easily produce more than I can ever use. I have about 20 factories in my base with between 250-500 enhancers each, and usually only 6-7 of them are actually making stuff, and most of those are making things that I already have too much of, just need to process it because hey, what else am I going to do with idle factories? Usually only 1 factory is actually making something I need atm.

Factory system is near perfect and scales easliy, IMO.

Reaction score
    I just have to boggle at the "factories are useless and time consuming" thing. I have to wonder if we are playing the same game, because with enough enhancers my factories easily produce more than I can ever use. I have about 20 factories in my base with between 250-500 enhancers each, and usually only 6-7 of them are actually making stuff, and most of those are making things that I already have too much of, just need to process it because hey, what else am I going to do with idle factories? Usually only 1 factory is actually making something I need atm.

Factory system is near perfect and scales easliy, IMO.
    Maybe we are literally playing a different game because single player factories are literally useless, single player starmade is in general garbage right now. All stores in single player have the same prices, and every single block that can be produced with any factory is always worth either equal or less than the raw materials used to make them, so literally all factories do is waste time and money. Not sure if that is a glitch or just plain out bad design but one way or another it sucks.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Maybe we are literally playing a different game because single player factories are literally useless, single player starmade is in general garbage right now. All stores in single player have the same prices, and every single block that can be produced with any factory is always worth either equal or less than the raw materials used to make them, so literally all factories do is waste time and money. Not sure if that is a glitch or just plain out bad design but one way or another it sucks.
    The game is based off of non-credits. The fact that you are trying to amass credits to do stuff is probably your problem there, credits are only really good for buying stations or for getting a few blocks that you were missing. The rest is crafting focused.