the future of jump drives?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Are jump drives possibly going to be looked at/changed in the future? I noticed looking up the jump drive suggestions on the forum they don't seem to get much attention. There doesnt seem to be any in the frequent suggestions thread as well. Anyone have some insite?

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Are jump drives possibly going to be looked at/changed in the future? I noticed looking up the jump drive suggestions on the forum they don't seem to get much attention. There doesnt seem to be any in the frequent suggestions thread as well. Anyone have some insite?
    The council has been the one keeping up with the FSM thread, and the council is currently going through some internal changes so we don't have anyone right now. Generally they are looked at. Some of the former council members may be able to comment further.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    I remember talk about another FTL system or two, once "real capitol ships" get introduced.

Would be nice if they introduced a "shape" mechanic to jump drives that differentiated charge speed, distance traveled, and power consumption. Be nice to have a way to make your jumps either longer or faster or just plain more e/sec efficient via the way you build them.

Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    FTL is due for a rework, but nowhere in the visible future. There have definitely been talks about a new FTL system for "capital" ships (however those are to be defined). I recall that this is to be a "hyperdrive" mechanic (continuous-travel FTL, as opposed to point-to-point FTL like jump drives).

Personally I'd like to see jump drives relegated to capital ship use, and hyperdrives fielded on smaller boats, but my name isn't Robin Promesberger, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Until then, it's chaindrives all the way down, folks :)