The Apparent Cancer That Is Docked Hull

Reaction score
    I am not discussing the whole scope and all arguments of your reply now, please shorten your stuff or the discussion is not comprehensible anymore.
    That's not how starmade works, all they do is add forever, no ballancing or removal and certainly not listening to feedback unless its hundreds of people at once crying about imballance, in which case we get another kneejerk solution.

I've tested and given feedback, nobody listens. As for systems meant to be changed, what the fuck in this game is even remotely final; aside from logic and cosmetic blocks i can't think of anything in this game that isn't in dire need of an overhaul.
    I, for my own part, look on what works on Starmade. You see many problems. That's fine, and the spirit of a critic. But dude, I feel you want to play the game and have fun. Be happy in the world as it is, and not as you think it should be. ;) I mean there is so many cool stuff you can do in Starmade. Small scope fighter battles, frigatte battles, logic, building cool things, using rails to make some crazy ass inventions, stuffing ships with interiour and some nice laid out plan for room usage like hospitals, cargo rooms, hangar bays, turret holes and so on.

I just see so much critic, but this critic is useless if it is not compared with how Starmade works and that depends on what works at the moment, and what can be done in the game.

I agree that the combat is not that cool. But combat is not the only thing Starmade is about! And for me the combat never was nearly interesting, because all the little kids want to fight with their biggest ship. I tell you what I think: Titans are shit when there are no smaller ships around to give them a relational relative size. Who cares if the battle is traded between 2 ships that each weigh 2mill mass or 2 ships of 100 mass, if there are only 2 ships participating??? I dont care. I do care, if there are some dudes around who want to fight against me with ships that dont have docked armor, and are below 5k mass. I even proposed to have some fighting and give some random stranger a ship just to fight each other. :D (If I ever do that, I have to remove the jump drive, or he jumps away without fighting at all lol.)

Power sucks in this game because it's used to restrict how much thrust a ship can have. This means ships require excessive amounts of power simply to move, which is why there's a power bonus for smaller ships: so small ships can be fast while large ships are slow, but this just ends up backfiring since the power bonus makes power systems super cheap, and what should be limiting your weapons and systems isn't able to because it can't limit both thrust and systems when it's so abundant.
    -> so this reffers to
    Remove power drain from thrust (Overdrive can add it back in) then remove power bonus: Now there's no power advantage
    -but its very confusing how you write. I am not willed to argue about it.

This is why ships with multiple weaponsystems you can choose between don't make a lick of sense; what's the point in a 100k dps ion cannon and a 50k dps punch through cannon when you could use the same mass to fit a 95k dps punchthrough cannon and its power supply?
    Making power a more limited resource introduces choice into systems, since you wouldn't be able to run everything non-stop, and if there's no power bonus docked entities don't have a power benefit.

Rework passive systems so they aren't static percentile bonusses that demand X amount of mass; Now you don't need to move them to other entities.

As for passive system rework they're just so lazy right now, and it makes all ships regardless of size operate the exact same way; always overdrive + ion and noone bothers with anything else because they're super unhelpful.
    -> I agree.

If systems were put on a linear scale instead there'd be more room for different setups, and even small systems would be useful; like 5 blocks emp effect would add 0.0001% reduced emp damage to a ship with current setup, but if it was -200 emp damage from every hit it would provide a decent amount of protection against emp drones, while still doing nothing to protect against larger/slower emp weapons.
    Same concept with punch-through reducing incoming damage by a fixed amount would allow capital ships to completely shrug off smaller can/can weapons so these rapid fire fighter weapons would be more specialized against fighters and not effective against everything. If combined with better weapon ballancing like higher damage but much lower range for tiny weapons (100 damage per shot but only 50m range for 1 block turrets for example) you'd have small and fast weapons able to tear through fighters but completely ineffective against capitals that can completely negate 20.000 damage per bullet. Suddenly we could have specialized weapons for different roles.
    -> This sounds weird. Do you mean you want to nerf small ships hitting big ships?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    2) The main ship can inherit entities such as power, power capacity, armor/structure hp, shield and shield capacity from docked entities similarly to how the main ship can inherit thrust from docked entities. The docked entities will also be affected by the parent entity which involves soft caps.

3)Docked entities either than turrets DO NOT UNDOCK even when overheated unless done so through deliberate logic commands/activation and will remain intact as long as the rail it is attached to remains present. This will solve the lag issues that come with ships that have multiple docked entities such as wedge on wedge or tiger lily petals.
    I agree with these two things regardless of the docked armor arguments in any way. I would include turrets in the "DO NOT UNDOCK" thing just to eliminate lag. I believe all systems should be shared by anything docked to a mothership, in both directions. Why would we be able to inherit thrust but not power from the power system built into the entity the thrusters are on? thats dumb. I said these things in the thread where they announced the AUX Reactors.

I don't give two shits about docked armor as I don't play combat or multiplayer, and I don't build with it unless it's an armor covering for a viewport or something anyways. The way it is described here, I would call it an exploit anyways. The sharing of all systems and statuses would eliminate this, and the not undocking thing would eliminate all lag from undocking when the ship dies. Win win.
    (edit2: I'm building a carrier that would probably get a person banned from a server just for loading it up because of the huge amount of docked entities. If someone killed it, all the undockings would insta-kill a server. 66 fighters, 4 patrol craft, 2 cargo/troop transports, 50+ turrets, and I still have room for a drone system or more craft. It's an entire fleet in a can.)

Edit: Raisinbat, some of your ideas are worth trying on a devbuild IMO to see what happens. Trying other ways is not a bad thing in any way. All methods of achieving balance should be tested. I agree with you that some systems need to be reworked. The things Spoolooni suggested do not solve some of the other problems you mentioned. On the other hand, I kinda like the AUX power too and we can keep it even if they fix the power. (I lined my ships engine core with them so the engines can explode some if hit hard enough, realism lol)

Last edited:

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    I am not discussing the whole scope and all arguments of your reply now, please shorten your stuff or the discussion is not comprehensible anymore.
    You asked me to elaborate :p

I, for my own part, look on what works on Starmade. You see many problems. That's fine, and the spirit of a critic. But dude, I feel you want to play the game and have fun.
    Making cool ships is fun. Having your cool ships broken by pointless updates is not.

Be happy in the world as it is, and not as you think it should be.
    What are you doing on the sugestion forum then?

This sounds weird. Do you mean you want to nerf small ships hitting big ships?
    No, i want to have a distinction between bombers and fighters where some weapons are good vs fighters (can/can) and some are good vs capitals (can/pulse)

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    The biggest balance problem with docked hull was with a combination of layering, active effects and shield injection, and doesn't work anymore (no more shield injection)

Counters missile & beam damage very well for a time, does not really help against cannon dps. Negates the effects of stop & EMP weapons on the main ship entirely, and can stop high % Ion weapons from dealing their proper damage once the main ship is below 25% shields (and therefore the now shield-less docked entity completely blocks the ionized portion of damage).

Counterpoint is that everything you dock is still a part of your ship that adds mass (whether you can directly see its full stats on nav or not doesn't matter it's only visual, heavy damage is often being done but not represented on nav info at a glance), and (almost) everybody and their mother have rapid fire punch cannons installed as a primary or at least relatively sizeable system.

More distinct parts = more weaknesses too, there are some major trade offs for the advantages they give.

js though that heavily weaved docked geometry shit can just burn, along with those servers that allow such madness

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Okay I have thought about it again, and propose an easy workaround: Undock entities if the rail can not support its mass. This is easy to implement, because it worked when rails first got implemented, but got removed and the slowed turning speed got introduced.

I think then you have to pay a high price for each armor block that you slap on your ship with docks, via energy from the main ship.

For the docked shield hp part I see no real use of nerfing it, because docked shields (not docked armor!, i talk about shield capacitors) have a major trade of: they are static. So once the docked shield is destroyed on one part, the docked armor on the other sides of the ship is useless. I think this is okay. Ofcourse there are shields that are wrapped all around the ship in a cylindric form, but this case can not happen if you need a big chunk of rail mass enhancers.

Reactions: Jojomo
    Reaction score
    Making power a more limited resource introduces choice into systems, since you wouldn't be able to run everything non-stop, and if there's no power bonus docked entities don't have a power benefit.

As for passive system rework they're just so lazy right now, and it makes all ships regardless of size operate the exact same way; always overdrive + ion and noone bothers with anything else because they're super unhelpful.
    If systems were put on a linear scale instead there'd be more room for different setups, and even small systems would be useful; like 5 blocks emp effect would add 0.0001% reduced emp damage to a ship with current setup, but if it was -200 emp damage from every hit it would provide a decent amount of protection against emp drones, while still doing nothing to protect against larger/slower emp weapons.
    This sounds good.

Same concept with punch-through reducing incoming damage by a fixed amount would allow capital ships to completely shrug off smaller can/can weapons so these rapid fire fighter weapons would be more specialized against fighters and not effective against everything. If combined with better weapon ballancing like higher damage but much lower range for tiny weapons (100 damage per shot but only 50m range for 1 block turrets for example) you'd have small and fast weapons able to tear through fighters but completely ineffective against capitals that can completely negate 20.000 damage per bullet. Suddenly we could have specialized weapons for different roles.
    Wouldn't this have the effect of making a large ship invunerable to an equal mass of fighters?
    It sounds like it would be a strong reaso0n to always just build the biggest ship possible.

Reaction score
    Wouldn't this have the effect of making a large ship invunerable to an equal mass of fighters?

Please, if you have it, I would like to see the After Action Report, of even a lowly DD being sunk (not crippled, SUNK) by the machine-guns on a "fighter" (I mean Machine-guns, 7.62mm or smaller bullets, NOT the 20/30/40mm anti-shipping cannons that some fighters [and many bombers] did actually carry.)
    (this allso means no Kamikaze strikes, as that is effectively the same as ramming a fighter-sized bomb into it.)

If nothing else, I'd love to hear how the hell:
    A: that event was allowed to happen,
    B: said ship-design was allowed to be produced. (I am aware that sometimes quality MUST take a "back of the bus" seat versus Quantity, but this'd be a smidgeon extreme.)

For that matter, I cannot think of any manner of even semi-modern MBT being taken out by anti-infantry weapons. (those very same 7.62mm or smaller bullets
    ) but I CAN recall several cases of said tanks being "taken out" by either 20/30/40mm bullets, or by ye-olde RPG/satchel charge. (effectively "dedicated weaponry")

I'm not even certain there are that many, very popular, Sci-Fi franchises where a lowly fighter truly kills a "capitol" vessel, that isn't Star Wars or Wing Commander, and one of those was kinda built around that concept. (and even then, it wasn't the machineguns that slew the capitol ship)

Reaction score
    Please, if you have it, I would like to see the After Action Report, of even a lowly DD being sunk (not crippled, SUNK) by the machine-guns on a "fighter" (I mean Machine-guns, 7.62mm or smaller bullets, NOT the 20/30/40mm anti-shipping cannons that some fighters [and many bombers] did actually carry.)
    (this allso means no Kamikaze strikes, as that is effectively the same as ramming a fighter-sized bomb into it.)

If nothing else, I'd love to hear how the hell:
    A: that event was allowed to happen,
    B: said ship-design was allowed to be produced. (I am aware that sometimes quality MUST take a "back of the bus" seat versus Quantity, but this'd be a smidgeon extreme.)

For that matter, I cannot think of any manner of even semi-modern MBT being taken out by anti-infantry weapons. (those very same 7.62mm or smaller bullets) but I CAN recall several cases of said tanks being "taken out" by either 20/30/40mm bullets, or by ye-olde RPG/satchel charge. (
    effectively "dedicated weaponry")

I'm not even certain there are that many, very popular, Sci-Fi franchises where a lowly fighter truly kills a "capitol" vessel, that isn't Star Wars or Wing Commander, and one of those was kinda built around that concept. (and even then, it wasn't the machineguns that slew the capitol ship)
    I think you're saying that I'm right, but that it doesn't matter?

I think it does matter. Note I didn't say a fighter should be able to defeat a large ship - but I do think that an equivalent mass of ships should be somewhere reasonably close to having equal chances of winning a fight, no matter whether that mass is in a single ship or 100.

So for a WW2 destroyer of 1500t I'd be thinking an adversary of around 750 spitfires.

I expect a WW2 destroyer would have no chance whatsoever against 750 aircraft with multiple 20mm cannons strafing it, but I don't think emulating real life should be the goal anyway. The goal (of any game) should be fun, and for that I think fighters need to be a viable choice of ship in SM (large swarms of them).

Fighters are only an extreme example anyway. What we're talking about is a general trend of multiple smaller ships becoming less effective against larger ships, even when their combined mass is equal.

A (rough) guide to equality between two sides should be mass, not the size of the largest ship on each.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    I agree with these two things regardless of the docked armor arguments in any way. I would include turrets in the "DO NOT UNDOCK" thing just to eliminate lag. I believe all systems should be shared by anything docked to a mothership, in both directions. Why would we be able to inherit thrust but not power from the power system built into the entity the thrusters are on? thats dumb. I said these things in the thread where they announced the AUX Reactors.
    why didn't they just do that instead of adding these aux things

i mean if a rail entity just became 'part' of a ship we wouldn't have to worry about docked reactors lagging everyone to death, or the 'exploits' in docked armor.

like you said it doesn't even make sense game mechanics wise when thrust can be directly inherited

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    It sounds like it would be a strong reaso0n to always just build the biggest ship possible.
    That's only true if the fighters are using can/can. If the effect is 1 damage mitigated per block, every block would mitigate 2 blocks of can/can, but you would need 5 blocks to mitigate can alone, 20 blocks per can/beam module and 80 blocks per can/pulse. Keep in mind these blocks don't contribute anything else to the ship, no armor HP no shield HP. If you dedicate half your ship to these modules your ship is extremely weak to slow firing high damage weapons.
    This also stops the advantage of stacking 100 beams 500 damage each which melt armor like a little girl's heart at a pony show; they would do NOTHING to a ship with these systems.
    Also enables schine to add larger area of impacts to weapons as they scale up in damage making armor more useful since they impact more blocks, and you need to use the higher damage weapons in order to hurt large ships.

It would also make it a good idea to reballance weapons so damage isn't on a linear scale, but starts out with MUCH higher damage per block but still same power per damage but much lower range, like 50m for a single block system so they would actually function as interior turrets. Would also make much smaller turrets worthwhile in combat since they can actually protect you from fighters, but lack the range and penetration to be effective in capital battles.

Reaction score
    That's only true if the fighters are using can/can. If the effect is 1 damage mitigated per block, every block would mitigate 2 blocks of can/can, but you would need 5 blocks to mitigate can alone, 20 blocks per can/beam module and 80 blocks per can/pulse. Keep in mind these blocks don't contribute anything else to the ship, no armor HP no shield HP. If you dedicate half your ship to these modules your ship is extremely weak to slow firing high damage weapons.
    This also stops the advantage of stacking 100 beams 500 damage each which melt armor like a little girl's heart at a pony show; they would do NOTHING to a ship with these systems.
    Also enables schine to add larger area of impacts to weapons as they scale up in damage making armor more useful since they impact more blocks, and you need to use the higher aamage weapons in order to hurt large ships.
    Hmm, you're very good Raisinbat - I'm definitely buying what you're selling, even though I didn't really expect to.

Can you see any potential problems with what you're suggesting? Any way to exploit it to upset the balance of things? (I can't, but I don't have the same depth of understanding of it that you have)

Jasper1991

Totaly not an alt, btw join Vaygr XDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
    Reaction score
    Docked Hull is an unintended way to allow you to avoid significant amounts of damage with little to no effort and causes significant lag, this is the very definition of an exploit.

If a docked entity is used and anything happens to it then it should affect the entire ship period.

Docked hull gets shield damage? Whole ship looses shields.

Docked hull being hit with punch through? The whole ship should be taken into account for calculating penetration and damage.

Docked hull receives armor or structure damage? Whole ship looses Armor/Structure HP

Using docked armor to allow your ship to be faster? Docked hull should be accounted for in thrust to mass calculations.

You get the idea.

Reaction score
    So what I just read from this thread: No one has a simple solution to the docked entity exploiting?

I feel like some guys want to sidetrack into the weapon balancing problem. I get that there is potential, and weapon rebalancing needs to be adressed. But people don't come here to talk about weapons: they expect a conversation about docked hull, and its very confusing if the title states to talk about docked hull, and suddenly everyone has to read through 20 comments about weapon suggestions.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    So what I just read from this thread: No one has a simple solution to the docked entity exploiting?

I feel like some guys want to sidetrack into the weapon balancing problem. I get that there is potential, and weapon rebalancing needs to be adressed. But people don't come here to talk about weapons: they expect a conversation about docked hull, and its very confusing if the title states to talk about docked hull, and suddenly everyone has to read through 20 comments about weapon suggestions.
    It's not a side track when "the problem with docked hull" Is "how docked hul interacts with weapons" Like OP said, it negates EMP, momentum, drains, etc. That's the "real roblem", and it's "how docked entities interact with weapons systems"

Reaction score
    Okay, let's try it this way.

Without discussing weapons, the only possible solution to docked hull, is to delete from the game any method by which said hull could otherwise be docked to a mass of systems.

There. That solves the ENTIRE problem of docked hull, without talking about the true reason docked hull was a problem in combat.

No-one uses docked hull in a COMBAT ship, unless doing so grants them an advantage equal-to or better-than the "penalty" of their ship violently self-destructing when damaged just so, and often taking the server with it.
    (which, unless you're the kind of troll who only has fun by preventing others from having fun, is not fun at all)

WITH the weapons-interaction, which has been very, very clearly elaborated upon; re-designing both the weapons and their support systems, OR re-designing how docked entities work, is going to be the only truly viable solution.
    Because you cannot currently prevent people from exploiting the game's underlying mechanics, which overwhelmingly favor the very very cheaty nature of docked hull.
    (unless you as a server admin figure out a way to forcibly disable building of anything at all on the server, but then I rather doubt anyone would want to play on such a server.)

Reaction score

You did a few posts back, didn't you? Undock anything too heavy for the rail - this would make docked entities expensive.

So no hard ban, just a soft ban that has the same effect.