The age old problem of "relocating/moving the ship core" I HAVE AN IDEA!

Reaction score
    ALL RIGHTY! This is gonna be a long one, But i guarantee A LOT of those who read this might like this suggestion. HERE WE GO!!! The Veterans and Master builders have all run into this issue and many of us who play this amazing game have all been wanting it for ages.

The age old issue that became even more of an issue when the armor/structure system was implemented. SHIP CORE RELOCATION! Most discussion/suggestion threads myself and most likely every one else has looked into on this topic, of which seems to be a mythical fix we all want now, But ultimately comes down to the games coding that prevent such a system being implemented.

Well here is my idea/suggestion on the issue. A BRAND NEW "logic/controller(or what ever the weapon system coms are called again)" based system. What if instead of moving the Ship core, we had a new system controller (that could be optional so it in theory, could be even easier to implement), we could call it the "Captains chair". This would be the Main "Core" component of this new logic system. It could be linked to the "ship core", witch would give you full control of the ship just as you would have if you entered the ship core, as well as control other things (when not bound to the ship core), like drones/turrets through the other logic components that would make up this new logic system.

Next I will explain my idea on the logic components that would be specific to this system. You would have have a new wireless control logic called the "RC (Remote Control) Terminal", which would basically be a wireless interconnect between a mother ship and another ship in the same fleet. The "Captains Chair" would have the "RC Terminals" linked to it.

The "RC Terminals" would be linked together the same way the already in game "Wireless Logic" blocks link together. To accompany this system, the next piece of the logic in this system is a 2 part system (think cannon com and the cannon blocks ). The main com block would be called the "RC rage extender/booster" and the system components you would link to it, the "RC Antenna" which does what the systems name implies, extends the rage /area at which a wireless controlled "drone" can be controlled with in.

To make calculating the center point for the spherical area would be, it could use center of mass of the mother ship or the actual ship core of the mother ship (could be changed with in the config files). The next piece of this new logic system is similar to the "RC Terminal", but specific to turrets. Also a 2 part System, the main com would be called the "Turret Management Network" and the second would be called the "Turret Network Port/access".

The "Captains Chair" would be linked to "Turret Management Network" (not the other way around) which would be linked to the "Turret Network Port", which would then be linked to the Turret dock that is apart of the main Ship. this would grant you control of the selected turret in the same way that you would be controlling it if you were to switch to it from the ship core, but would have to be coded to automatically control the cannon barrel part of the turret and bypass the base entity of the turret.

NOW. in terms of the "RC Terminal" and "Turret Control Network". I can See a few issues if this function was not coded into the game. when using a "Captains Chair" with the "RC Terminal". The First issue I could see is if the game thinks your Character(AKA you) aren't in the entity you are controlling and still on the Mother Ship.

My solution for this is simple in theory:
    When controlling a drone or turret through these systems you actually WOULD be in said entity. NOW, this brings the second issue to light- "What happens if the entity you are now technically in is destroyed?" When you get into the chair it would act as a temporary "undeathinator", that way if the entity you are controlling is destroyed.

It would then act react as if you died, a pop up dialog box will come up stating something along the line of "entity was destroyed/over heating, connection lost" and you would find yourself next too the "Captains Chair". the third issue would be if you left the "Captains Chair" before Docking.

If that where to happen for what ever reason then the "Drones" Ai could be set to auto activate and return to its dock on the mother ship or get into formation with the mother ship that it was being controlled from if it was not docked or if it's dock is destroyed. and lastly if you where to get out of the "Captains Chair" it would have to be set up to put you next to THAT "Captains Chair" and not the "Ship Core" of the entity you where controlling through it.

This System could add a lot of functionality to the game as well as expand options for RP Builds and even encourage team play between friends and guilds on servers

Hopefully the dev's see this and would chime with what they think about this idea and weather or not it could be implamented!

EDIT: The formatting was whack, added paragraphs to be easier to read. ~ Crusade

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reactions: ebr1198

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Captains chairs are already planned as a form of ship control. Who knows, maybe we won't even need ship cores, but rather build blocks and chairs (which are both placed, not spawned) in the future? = )

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    An official documentation of the blueprint file structure, that is kept up to date or alternatively a blueprint <-> template converter (template files are much easier to work with) would make third party solutions way easier.

Reaction score
    I have often thought it would be nice if we could switch between fleet ships just like we can switch between docked ships and turrets with the arrow keys and/or left shift.

I figured there is a game balance reason why they don't want to make this easy. Thats' why they don't seem to let faction transporters go between undocked ships, only public ones. . . and why the transporters drop your shields for 30 seconds when you want to switch ships. This idea seems to add more balance by requiring antenna's and ranges and such. That could be a thing. . .

I do think it will be nice if the planned chairs give us a better ability to control docked turrets and switch between AI and manned turrets with less hassle. I would like to have turret stations on the bridge where a person can take manual control of specific turrets. That would mean the chairs can do wireless control and that would also mean the captains chair could be put on a rail or a turret axis to let us slide around between stations while seated. . . like that cool captains chair in the movie WALL-E. . . or I could control the ship from a command module or observation module that is docked onto it. Or a chair on a rail that can drop into a turret. . . lots of possibilities if chair control can be assigned to the core of another docked entity.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    We should just not have ship cores.
    So much this. Or maybe remake them into something that can be moved and rotated like a command chair. A middle ground would be to have placeable cores where if a core already exists the act of placing a new core would recalculate the ship's coordinates around the new core and remove the old one.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Once command chairs are implemented, cores should be on the fast track toward being obsoleted, because then command and control can be divorced from the ship origin point.

Reactions: Agame3
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Once command chairs are implemented, cores should be on the fast track toward being obsoleted, because then command and control can be divorced from the ship origin point.
    But that wouldn't solve the problem of ships that were built with the wrong orientation.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    But that wouldn't solve the problem of ships that were built with the wrong orientation.
    Couldn't the command chair be used to decide what direction is forwards and/or up?

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Couldn't the command chair be used to decide what direction is forwards and/or up?
    That would make it easier to build ships that don't fly in the normal direction according to their deck, like Slave I from Star Wars.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    It's surely possible, the question is whether the effort is worth it. Only the devs can answer that.

Reaction score
    from the depths does a similar thing and doesn't have a core at all and its turrets are way better and less glitchy I really wish starmade got some inspiration from them

Reaction score
    -Additional control blocks were asked for ages ago, so far there's no sign of them.

-If no technological break is made and the cores stay, their relocation could be handled as such:

1. New button for build mode: "Relocate Core"
    2. Click on it, a window pops up, asking you to input an X, Y, Z number.
    3. You input the numbers, click ok. The game will recalculate the entire ship, moved by X, Y, Z amount relative to the core. Make sure it's done step by step and not all at once, so the game doesn't freeze!

Sure beats marking up a battlecruiser to segments your PC can handle and copy-pasting it little by little to a new location. Especially if you end up having to do it more then once....

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Actually, we had a tool (SMBEdit) for such operation not too long ago - for both rotating the ship around the core and core moving. Unfortunately it seems to be abandoned now, but POSSIBLY we'll get it updated after Universe Update.