The Advanced Combat Proposal - TID

Reaction score
    In case anyone is interested, here\'s a discussion on how to create a formula that results in diminishing returns from a minimum value to a maximum value: http://askville.amazon.com/equation-infinite-100/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=3535760

An example of the above that I plan to use as part of my future modding plans:

Weapon group damage = 500 - (50000 / (s + 100))

where s is the number of blocks in the weapon group.

Since s increases much faster than x, y, or z (the group dimensions) it makes sense to increase the ? multiplier to reduce the rate that the damage value approaches 500. (I\'m also increasing the HP of many non-terrain blocks in my mod, hence why I\'m using 500 instead of a smaller maximum. A filled 5x5x5 group (125 blocks) still only does 278 damage, and a 10x10x10 group (1000 blocks) only does 455 damage. Somewhere in between, you get less than one damage gained per block.)

The OP\'s class system idea could be implemented with soft limits simply by using diminishing returns and making the weapon stats for one weapon class become inferior to another weapon\'s stats at the same group size.

I\'m still hoping that schema implements weapon and subsystem properties into the BlockConfig.xml file soon so I can actually try my weapon ideas out.

ImperialDonut

Overlord of the North Pole
    Reaction score
    I\'ll add in soft limits and some example formulas for them later on.

Reaction score
    Epic stuff sir. I realy hope schema read this and will put this on his \"long-run to do list\".(of course if there are not such plans already in his head)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Gattling Guns: In section 4 you list them as having reduced damage, energy costs AND firerate, though in section 7 you talk about them as having a faster firerate. I assume that your wrote \"reduced\" instead of \"increased\" in section 4 by mistake.

This whole page looks incredible. It looks absolutely incredible. If this were to happen, I agree that it would greately alter the currently simple combat system to something which people have to think about. That seems like what most of the game is leaning towards, with generators already working as such: Simple beginnings, complicated endings.

I especially like the missiles section. More diversity among (and an actual reason to use) missiles is required

ImperialDonut

Overlord of the North Pole
    Reaction score
    Nah I meant increased for its class in 7, and decreased vs the small pulse laser in 4.

So it still has a high fire-rate overall, but lower than the pulse laser because of its low power consumption.

Reaction score
    I really hope that schema incorporates more game mechanics into the BlockConfig.xml file soon so we can play around with our combat improvement ideas and polish them according to our playtests. Right now, I\'m punching away at a graphing calculator to come up with weapon stat curves that I\'m happy with, but I have no idea whether my stats are anywhere near where they should be to achieve a good game balance.

Also it would be nice if I knew what the vanilla stat formulas were for each weapon and subsystem. I have no idea how the shield stats work or how to scale them appropriately to match the block hitpoints buff I\'m trying to add.

EDIT: If schema reads this, I\'m interested in becoming a tester for BlockConfig.xml modding support, since I can see myself using it a lot for modding, assuming that the remaining hard-coded block properties get moved to that file.

Reaction score
    Something I considered is that weapons cannot really have meaningful \"light\" classes , even with just one group allowed per ship the bigger ones are sure to field them.

A solution is to have weapons that affect both ships on different scales. For instance , an energy neutralizer that removed as much energy as it costs to fire would greatly favor large ships , but a shield disruptor reducing the shield regeneration of both ships to their square root value would favor the smaller ones.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I agree with all, except the sizes of your weapon classes I think they are too big, but if you manage to balance it well so small ships aren\'t useless, it\'s ok.

I don\'t want this game to be : who has the biggest (and ugliest) ship wins.

Anyway I would love to see shema replying to this !

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    this is amazing, I constantly have thoughts ingame when I have to add 200 weapon blocks to my ship. like \"this system could be better\"

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think that what he said makes alot of sense. I go out in my ship and when some guy comes shooting at me I cant even dodge out of the way because his rate of fire is so high and I get absolutely owned. The mechanics explained here would be a great update for the game and provide a much needed variation in strategies.

Reaction score
    +1 On Everything Definite Must Add Would Make This Game So Much Better

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What im thinking for regen is to use what Starcraft 2 Currently Does

Regen Out Of Combat(5 sec) During Combat No Regen if sheild down same thing 10 sec before recharge start but starts counting only out of combat

this prevents ur OP Sheild that u just cant break at all unless ur weapon is fast yet powerful

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Weapon For Sheilds EMP(Electro Magnetic Pulse)

Missle type weapon that kills the sheilds on the area it hits might be abit op so there can be 2 options

1. Kills A Specific amount of sheilds

2.Kills Sheilds On An Area But Radius Smaller

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the dis-integrator it should be renamed to bombs or something cause seriously its a bomb

make it a missle type but the ones that pack alot more punch but must be launched by dropping it like rela bombs

Reaction score
    I like most of your ideas, however I think shields should stay virtually the same, however if an EMP weapon of sorts was added or a couple types of weapons that are weak but can penetrate shields this would not change the mechanics too much and still give a larger variety of play types / methods of dealing with specific defense type players.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Honestly if they take eve\'s combat system, tweaked it, and threw it on stramade it would be awesome.

Also a huge -1 on regen out of combat. I hate hide and gun play.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I really like allot of the proposals being made here. I just had a thaught on shields- What if, while in combat, after the shields take a hit, there is a recovery period to it\'s regenerative capabilities?

Let me give you somewhat of an example as I suck at explaining things.

Ship A is hit by ship B with a missile. The sheild of Ship A has a regeneration factor of lets say 5% a second. Now that it\'s been hit, the sheild\'s regen rate drops to 0 for just a moment, and then it\'s regeneration rate increases by 1% every second untill it finally reaches it\'s max regen rate of 5%.

The only problem with this would be that weapons with a higher fire rate would be much more effective over weapons with a slower fire rate. But then again, that may help fighters out quite a bit taking down large capitol ships with the new weapons systems that are being proposed here. Just a thaught.

Reaction score
    That would mean that no noob in a giant ship could camp the spawn cause all you need to take it down would be a thruster and some explosives.

Reaction score
    Agreed

I do think there should be an intermediate class of weapons between the \"small\" class (upper cap of 50) and the \"medium\" class (lower cap 100) though.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Not only do I agree, but I also think this post should be used as a tutorial for how this combat system works.