The Advanced Combat Proposal - TID

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    That would make make fighters much more dangerous to capital ships. I recommend this sort of thing would only have a serious effect with smaller shielding, so battleships don\'t just use their death beam to one-hit kill fighters but instead use some cannon spray that looks cooler and give gives the fighter a second or two to react.

Reaction score
    Sounds amazing, definitely needs to be implemented. The current combat system really needs a redo, and I think this could give it what it needs. +1

Also, an idea I had:

Particle Accelerator:

It would shoot a particle that travels in a straight line. This particle would pass through blocks, taking electrons as it goes, and turning the molecules inside the blocks into isotopes, making them unstable, and causing slow damage to the block overtime(will need a way to repair from that, still havent come up with a viable option). The particle would become more powerful as it goes, as its gaining more and more electrons. However, with each electron(+1-10 per block), the particle becomes more and more unstable, and eventually disapates. Particles would NOT be able to pass through shields. This weapon would also be a super weapon, requiring a large number of blocks for it to function. Also, it would be very power consuming.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    shield regen is good as it is now imo, only thing needed is a regen cap like with energy one, something like 200-250k cap.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This is the most comprehensive and well-thought combat suggestion here. We need to keep this thread on the first page so it can be seen by the devs and the general public!

WANT!

Darkkon

The Harlequin Builder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This is a great idea for a combat system for StarMade. I agree with one of the commenters that some of the size restrictions seem a little off but that isn\'t too hard to change. An added feature idea i have ties in to another commenter though. Instead of having doubling thhe weapons available just for color, why not have a specific set of weapons, and make them modifiable? In the Animorphs series and StarWars, gems are used to change the color and abilities of their weapons. Maybe you can have a basic color for the weapon and then you can attach a gem block to the front of it (or maybe a half block for that sleeker look?) to get the color change and effect. Another option is having it so that each weapon has an inventory of one space. If its the front-most weapon in the group (the one that fires basically) you can put the gem in there to get it to work, however putting the gem anywhere else would be ineffective or hazardous?

The shields are something else i have seen some arguments over. The main problem with them I have run into is that the shield capacity and shield regen aren\'t separate (at least that i have noticed) the server a friend of mine hosts (dont look for it, its private) has a set limit on shield regen that each ship is allowed. Currently, smaller ships have a limit of 160 and larger ships a limit of 500.....that also limits shield capacity to approximately between 9000 and 16000 respectively. Just making the two quantities a little more independant would be a good thing to add. A little more on topic, shield regen plays a large part in most sci-fi movies and tv shows so lowering it to a massive degree might not be the most popular idea, even if it is more realistic. However a good idea is that the more shield capacity you have the slower they regenerate. Maybe adding shield layering would be a nice thing too but that might be difficult to script (im going to college for computer science but thats not until the next semester.) One thing that is a definite need for the game though, even without any of the combat overhauls or anything...is a power allocation system. We already have the ability to allocate power in our weapons but we can\'t do it with shields or engines or anything else. It would greatly increase the consideration of how many engines you have on your ship (I have noticed servers lagging because people landed humongous ships on a planet....rather unrealistic...) as well as increase the custamizability of the ships systems, beyond just placing blocks.

Ok, I am done! One last thing before i go though is to say that this is a great game, a great idea from ImperialDonut, and I wish all of you the best time in space!

Live long and Prosper.
    -Darkkon

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    SO, here\'s what I think you should do.

First of all, you need to add in munitions for weapons, and have like 4 different types, like EVE. Have some of them be effective against shields, and others against hull. There should also be a super large gun that requires to be charged to fire, so while it is charging, say it takes like 10 seconds, it slowly eats up power, and then you can discharge the round/energy.

Also, you should add in beam weapons, which should be easy... just a salvage cannon re-scripted-ish. Also, they overheat after some period of time, or something. And with beam weapons, should also come reflector plate thingies. The reflect- RPTs, we shall call them, would reflect/deflect the beam energy, so if an enemy ship shot you with a beam weapon, it could reflect off your ship and get his buddy real bad. Of course these reflectors would NOT be cheap, and would likely cost a crap ton.

Another EVE thingy to add in, perhaps there should be electronic warfare/something! Like hacking, you could disable an enemy\'s computers or something, or disrupt their targeting, which would cause them to miss very badly no matter how hard they try.

Oh! And maybe you guys should add in like mines or something, with cheap, easily visible early game versions and late game ones that are cloaked. They would cause devastating damage, and would have several different types, like one could be an EMP that disables an enemy\'s electronics (shields, computers) for a given amount of time.

Welp, that\'s all.

Please read this, Schema.

Reaction score
    Combat really does need changing. I\'m tired of having to make shield boxes and seeing other players that just plain use shields as generic hull material. Just piling on more weapon blocks is also really dumb and just ends up with the race to build larger and larger death cannons. Fighters and turrets rapidly become useless.

Also, yeah, the way missiles work right now is just plain ridiculous since basically it comes down to LOL THERE GOES HALF YOUR SHIP (or a very large section of a space station) the moment one missile makes it past the shields.

Reaction score
    I had just started a forum topic about \"Combat Balancing\" because I was fed up with how I always had to build a giant capital ship just to have any hope of fair 1v1. I love these things you suggested and I fully support it, but I just have one problem. The \"Burrowing Missiles\" sound a bit over powered if they do massive damage after piercing an enemy\'s shields. I could see people making large ships that only use these for combating capital ships, instead of using any of the projectile weapons.

Reaction score
    I support faster missiles, but on servers where speed is increased above 50km/h, missiles will be too slow. It would be nice if schema could make it so missile speed would scale with a server\'s max travelling speed.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I would love all of these ideas. I have an idea for a ship based of a ship in warhammer 40k from lore called a \"Defence Monitor\" which has a main weapon called a \"lance\" (massive beam laser) which cuts whole cruisers in 2 in 1 shot. this would work sooooooo well in SM because you could get strait to the ship core and bang!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    ...but very relevant post anyway. One glaring thing not on the list is ship manouverability, example ships seem built around some restrictions coming from ship size which hasn\'t been apparent during my month of playing. It\'s really only visible up to like 200 mass which doesn\'t really involve many ships relevant in combat, you can make a heavy fighter / corvette or something but that\'s about it until ship size starts to matter less and less besides making for a bigger target, offset by not needing to make serious compromises between mobility and firepower. Having good engines and accelerating 0-100 like a sports car helps a lot more than having slightly smaller frontal profile.

That said, some sort of solution needs to be figured out for ship balancing before making big ships unmanouverable whales, because if something kills joy in gaming it\'s feeling of helplessness. If ship size really restricts your ability to move around and get your target, you\'ll find yourself in a dreadnought deturreted by a ship half or quarter your size and steadily eating your shields off and then drilling a hole to your core, with nothing to do to stop him except maybe bribery. And that\'s not really fun, except for the one doing the killing. Maybe with warp cores or something to empower large ships to disengage when necessary, while giving smaller ships advantage in turning, acceleration and maybe max speed, or giving max speed with ship mass while seriously gimping acceleration to make smaller ships still tactically superior.

My suggestion is that smaller ships are tactically superior, ie can (easily) outmanouver and in short term outrun bigger ships to get away but large ships master strategic movement and in practice can\'t be whittled down by small ships unless they bring enough to cripple the bigger ship before it can escape, or the big ship decides to stick around for shooting stations, other capitals or whatnot. Maybe a charge period for warping should it be implemented to avoid instant escapes. Possibly a server variable, warp requires full shields, x amount of shield or shield check disabled.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    what about ships like sniper ships to take down friggates or that size soemthing that is small has huge acuracy and damage but at energy ond firerate as cost

It would shoot trough the glass window into the cocpit module disabeling ship sight and fly away(or probalbly be destroyed)

Then wehn the ship is at its weakest point a few dones fly in and take out their engines weapons etc

Then a carrier sip boards the vessel and takes control of it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Maybe you could use coolant-blocks to help the firing rate of large guns, it just required more energy?