Texture Travesty

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Decided to play with textures a bit. Been working on all of the computer displays first, and a few others. Going for a scan-line, monochrome theme for each computer. Limited controls because buttons are so last millenium and everything has a touch screen now.

UPDATE 8-19-2013: New light textures, missle ideas, decoration blocks, new shields, and embossing.

Above: Ideas for missle fronts and backs, new light texture to reflect the scanline theme in all of the computers, and four decoration block concepts.

Above: Computers are embossed on top and bottom with their respective logos.

Above: New shield animation (left), darkened the fan-blade of the ship core, and added a tentative animation to the power storage.

Top Row: Rader Jammer, Cloaking Module, and Bobby AI (HAL). Middle Row: Repair, Salvage Beam, Powerdrain, Powertransfer, and Gravity. Bottom Row: Antimatter Cannon, Dummy Missle, Heat-Seekers, Smart Missles, and one decoration panel. Right side is just lights (old design) and a comparison of Hull versus Hardened Hull.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hope you pull through and make it a downloadable pack. I know how hard it can be, there are so many textures. And good luck not loosing your sh*t with the minerals and icons :D I finished my texture pack last night :) check it out: http://star-made.org/content/texture-pack-%E2%80%93-low-res-minecraft-style-clean-gui

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Why is HAL in there? Are you trying to get us all killed by our own Spaceships?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'m afraid I can\'t remove that, jstenholt.

Stupid jokes aside, I just like the look of it. And can you honestly say the default isn\'t just as creepy? xD

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    More texture experimentation. Playing with a few of the animated textures as well, this time.

Top Row: Power (recharge), Shield, and Powerdrain Beam. Bottom Row: Power (storage), Ship Core, and Powertransfer Beam. Shield needs work, but I might keep the overall look. The power regen will probably be changed. Not sure I like the battery look for it. The idea of storing power in a giant, unstable nuclear crate amuses me, though.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    New shield animation, decoration blocks, missles, and embossed computers. Enjoy.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think the Pacman cabinet could distract the crew too much :D

check your circles, there are some mistakes in the missiles and the \"screw\" decoration panel.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Right you were! I tend to do everything by eye when figuring out an initial design. A few tweaks and everything is right as rain. Until I\'m satisfied, the missles and decoration blocks are more of a placeholder, but once you pointed out the circles I had to go and fix them now instead of later or it would continue to bother me.

On another note, after spawning in some of my larger builds, I\'ve decided the orange box for power storage does not suit my needs in large numbers and looks out of place. The texture has been repurposed for bombs for now, and something more circuit-y will be used in its place. Shields also aren\'t quite right. So that\'ll need a change.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Nice textures! i bit toony but i know how it feels when it comes to texture packs. hours and hours of work mad props too you!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I prefer smoother, simplified textures that go with the games inherent blockiness. I\'m sick of the grittiness of modern games. I like it better when my games have more character and less realism.

Reaction score
    Your texture pack somehows reminds me of the X-Com series (Not the reboot one)... Ahh, the nostalgia...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Nice, I am curious how it looks on my current ships :}

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I would love to see how it looks on some other builds, but it\'s going to have to wait until I at least have all of the blocks retextured. I got a bit sidetracked playing with the GUI (with far too much time spent trying and failing to find the white box that goes over a selected item in your hotbar). Plan to have more progress by the end of the day to show, but a download is going to be a ways off.