Texture Pack,

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Christmas has been really busy, family comes first as im sure you\'ll understand.

However it\'s nearly done, working on planets and minerals now.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Can I have a download link soon? :D

Cant wait till I can use it and keep up the good work.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Yes! You may.

ETA: Soon.

Sorry i can\'t be any more specific, but i\'m close!

I actually have a question regarding decoration panels. I was given a ship by Saria to sample the textures on (her?) ship. Decoration panels are everywhere. Works in default textures just fine, but i was hoping to add a different function to one of the panels.

Just like the previous texture pack, i was hoping to have a pipe / wire decoration panel that could be run down hallways or engine rooms / maintenenace tunnels etc.

This altered use will perhaps mean replacing the existing decoration panels on your ships or considering it in future builds.

Would it be worth it visually to replace 1 of the 4 computer type panels with something else? Like a tube or wiring?

Input appreciated.

Reaction score
    I personally liked the idea of pipes in the previous texture pack and I would enjoy a similar use in this pack. It allows me to have more interior design options that jrent there in the default pack. hope this helps.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Does anybody else have this problem?

http://star-made.org/content/damage-overlays-bug

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/Daray_Ryo/Starmade/starmade-screenshot-0397_zps3f7b6f19.png

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    her is correct

and yes a pipe/wire block would be great

for all you people asking for a custom block, I\'d like to be able to use my ships on every server i join.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    This is my view too.

I\'ll let the question linger for a little longer, but i\'m swayed towards having a pipe texture.

As for custom blocks, i would like the texture pack to be standalone and compatible with any ship, any player and any server. So that rules out modding block properties or adding new ones (for now).

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I haven\'t seen that before at all... and i made those textures. :O

However i can tell straight away the damge overlay in the above picture is not the one i supplied with that texture pack.

I\'ll reply in full in your thread, avoiding a derail.

See the image below to see the current damage overlay for this pack.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Jaw drops in awe... for the love of god, get Schema to make this the official Starmade textures!

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Thanks pal.

A few people have mentioned this now.

Lets mutiny! Ha.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Sadly, it\'s also alot about his vision of the game as well (not just what the community wants). Hopefully his vision of the game matches up with your texture pack (which wouldn\'t be hard).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Personally, I can\'t imagine changing the skin of one of the deccorative blocks being a big deal. Just my opinion though, I say go for it, cause I\'d love a pipe/conduit block.

And I second/third schema making these the official textures. I am looking forward to you relaseing this more than a new version of starmade.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Actually it\'s not that good of an idea to change the general look of blocks. Minecraft suffered from this a lot with it\'s texture packs. A lot of things built only looked good in that specific pack, if you view it with default it looks like a completely different structure. Imagine if one of the four decor blocks were used as a pipe. Now you make a nice looking ship with pipes and share it. Somebody using the default textures downloads the ship and there are just buttons or computer screens lining the walls. Personally I already feel these textures deviate from the standard aesthetic to much already, a few of my decorative blocks look out of place with this pack installed (but that\'s just my opinion).

Case in Point:

What used to be computer stations are now pipes.

My entire CIC is littered with pipes where there was once computer screens.

Personally I like the default textures better, at least in this current release they just seem so dull and flat to me and I\'m not a fan of the hull texture either. It looks like there will be new hull texture and that looks like it might be good though so I\'ll definitely take a look at the next release. Fire also doesn\'t burn in space as there isn\'t enough O2 so that doesn\'t make much sense to me, but I have to use my own overlays anyway so that doesn\'t matter much.

The number of people who like and stick to the default is probably more than the people who choose to switch to a texture pack, so I don\'t really support any texture pack becoming the \"official textures\".

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    There a few reasons why we should change some of the original textures;

Firstly the clarity and legibility of some textures can be improved. The computer blocks having a rather ambiguous motherboard or wiring on the sides / bottom / top, or the astrotech\' computer being almost unreadable as a form for example.

There is a huge amount of repeat textures. The computer\'s side texture is used on over 50 faces, all 7 \'action\' blocks (thrusters, AMC, salvage, powerdrain etc) ALL have the same texture, with colour hue being the only indication of what the block is... and even then the 32x32 textures stretched over a 64 pixel tile leaves a lot to the imagination.

This new pack im making will also repeat a base texture for computers too, but using different graphics, icons or input/output textures on all sides should set them apart from any angle.

Default shield, ship core, docking, turret docking, faction and build blocks again, all the same textures with colour as the only indication.

The lights border are set to tile with standard hulls, not but hardened or inbetween computers, placing them in terrain or anything but your ship looks annoyingly out of place.

The decoration blocks are 4 of the same idea, used mainly (like in your example) as filler on a bridge, or generic rooms. Just little squares of colour.

Giving the player a multitude of decorative blocks with different purposes allows the player to create more appropiate and creative interiors. Engineering bays or maintinence with tubing, power conduits and wiring, server racks... or living space objects, shelves and such. It\'s a more immervise experience for the players who build detailed ships.

As for ships being compatible with different texture packs / default? I have tested this pack with a multitude of ships, even Saria giving me a copy of her new ship to see how it would look.

The only stick out difference between the hundreds of textures was decorative blocks. The rest was seeminly intuitive. If you play with blueprints only, sure that one block might not line up correctly. But decoration blocks are so sparsely used its not a big deal to correct a few blocks is it?

Personally I like the default textures better, at least in this current release they just seem so dull and flat to me and I\'m not a fan of the hull texture either. ... Fire also doesn\'t burn in space as there isn\'t enough O2 so that doesn\'t make much sense to me...

Thats absolutely fine. Texture packs really are down to personal taste. The previous pack was meant to be a little flatter, cleaner and a little more colourful. Cartoon like in appearance. The main goal was to remove the harsh tiling effect of the standard hulls. Patchwork hulls *shudder*.

As for the fire effect? It\'s important damage information is legible from a distance within seconds and visible on all surfaces. Not to mention obviously detrimental. Fire / melting metal is inherintly bad.

It also looks badass (Cheers Crusade ;) )

Black cracks or smoke / scorch effects are not as viable from a distance on all surfaces.

The number of people who like and stick to the default is probably more than the people who choose to switch to a texture pack, so I don\'t really support any texture pack becoming the \"official textures\".

Yea, without a doubt default settings will always be played more than modded games. (Although I am constantly suprised by the huge number of downloads and unique blog hits i get looking for that texture pack...)

As i have previously said, it really is not my prerogative to change the default look of starmade. Just add an option for those who would like it.

I don\'t think it\'s a case of people banding together to get this officially adopted haha, It\'s just a very nice compliment.

Hopefully that explains a little more my reasoning to those of you interested.

Thanks for the input! (athough can we resize the images to 500 pixels wide :D)