Texture issues with dev build

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have been trying out the latest dev build, but large segments of my ship have been appearing invisible. Also, when I start the game I get a message saying: The texture pack you have chosen is depreciated and might have some missing textures.

Is there any way I can fix this?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have been trying to load an older texture pack, but the instruction videos seem out of date.

data/textures/block isn't anything like the videos would suggest. How does one load a new texture pack in the new starmade?

Also, I believe that I'm running the "realistic" texture pack, yet I encounter these issues.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    There is no need for a manual installation anymore.
    It is included in the launcher.

select-texture-pack.png

You may install more packs, but for them there should be some documentation on the site you download them on how to do this.

- Andy

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hmm, I can't believe I missed that. :/
    Thanks for showing me, it should prove useful in the future.

I just tried using the realistic pack: the depreciation message is gone, but my ship is still somewhat invisible.

It's physically there, it just doesn't appear.

AndyP

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    It looks like the light-calc is not done yet.
    In case this does not relieve itself, you may need to place a block on the 'invisible' ones, to trigger a 'light-update'.

This 'should' fix it.

If not, and its a ship, please create a blueprint and try to /load it. If you have the blueprint show the same error, please spawn it in on the testserver, or at least upload it, and tell me the name. Will check it there, and forward if there is some permanent error with it.

- Andy

Reaction score
    I do not believe this is due to lighting calculations. It looks more like there are chunks missing, which does remind me of issue#160.

Wow. I was just writing a post, asking for the blueprint. We probably should look into this.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    It has nothing to do with that stuff your blocks are there and you can interact wit them the issue is:
    Other Notes:
    Last version of dev build (..235417)causes major issues with placing tetra and penta blocks after 20000 blocks placing tetra or
    penta blocks in certain locations will cause entire sections of ship to vanish (still can place and interact with blocks but they
    are invisible)the only way to avoid is to not use those blocks or remove the last block that you placed after the ship vanished
    (though it will be next to impossible when the ship is invisible)...
    here is a gif of the issue you are having:

I hope that this clarifies what issue you are having with the devs.... also try pressing pause to make a quick recording of the issue your having as video is better that photo's in some cases... such as this...

AndyP

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Bug #160: Issues involving Pentahedron Placement

This is the bug you encounter.
    Its now listed, and signing up at the tracker and 'watching' it, will allow you to get mails on every step it goes from now on. =)

But its interesting this seems to happen on other blocks too, may you check if removing pentas in the nearby area keeps the blocks visible?

As there is a blueprint of a ship having nothing more than 1500 blocks or so,
    that suffers from the penta bug we have.

So this seems to be a result of the shape, rather than the size.

- Andy

Reactions: ghettodexter
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Cool I hadn't put much thought into shape as I don't start making shaped bodywork until the floors and framing are done, and I can remove as many block as I'd like but... once a penta is placed in that exact location again of the ship even if I changed the overall shape and remove every block around it i.e. 112,20,697... same issue

Reaction score
    I have been trying out the latest dev build, but large segments of my ship have been appearing invisible. Also, when I start the game I get a message saying: The texture pack you have chosen is depreciated and might have some missing textures.

Is there any way I can fix this?
    Hi, i have seen the same problem, does not seem to be dependent on textures or graphic settings. The invisible blocks appear to be randomly placed over the ship, adding or removing blocks does nothing (added blocks are invisible aswell). I spawned in a copy of the ship and the invisible blocks show at the very same spots as in the first one.

Edit: Played around a little bit more: the problem seems to be linked with at (least one) penta (just penta?) blocks sitting on the fringe of the chunks, deleting that block removes the invisibility, adding it back again and its back to hollow man again...

Last edited:

AndyP

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    You did read before posting, didn't you?

The bug linked in, is telling exactly this. =)

- Andy

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    So I guess the issue can only be resolved in the next starmade dev release? If so, I guess it's a good thing that it was brought to light.