Tesla blades

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think ramming is one of the easyest ways to damage ships.
    but at the moment, we have a ramming block that can be shot before ramming.
    also it will damage you probably more then the enemy!

besides that, in servers ramming is almost illigal.
    as it creates lag and weird things that you are stuck in each other.

my solution!
    tesla blade.
    my own very creative idea of a cool ramming system!

this is a rough sketch of what it would look like!
    its energy based and when you ram somebody the blue energy line disapears!
    to get it back to working you'll need to charge it!
    it does no damage to your ship!
    it look awesome!
    it can be stacked!

usefull to do more damage!

WARNING NOTE:
    i am totaly not creative as you probably already saw.
    this idea and the pictures are from the game ROBOCRAFT.
    although it is from an other game, we can use the idea!
    because common, it is a cool thing.

I want to mention that it would only be usefull with manovable ships, the ones that are able to dodge and such.

to make sure that people don't overdo it, there would be a mak of stacking.
    also, as the blades are always shown, the uphold costs energy.

there is also a second option:
    the blade charge costs a lot of energy, the uphold too.
    the charge takes longer. damage is a fixed amount.

BUT to compromise this, the tesla blade insta breaks blocks!
    so think of the blade being 3 blocks wide. on hit it will take the 3 blocks that it is hitting out.
    so if you have a blade of 10 wide, it will take out 10 blocks. no matter how many shields the opponent has. so if you see a tesla blade, you go like "oh god GOD GOD NO" it's coming!
    but this would not be possible on small ships as they would have too less energy.
    btw the wider the blade, the more energy and cooldown!

remember this is an option.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    We already have collision damage as an option for servers - And you can set up damage pulse to auto-trigger when something is near it with logic. I don't see the need for this.

Reactions: Snk
    Reaction score
    This looks like something you would craft for your Robo.

In all seriousness, I don't think it's going to give StarMade a good reputation if they steal a weapon from another game.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Tesla blades in RoboCraft are completely underpowered - just like Explosive blocks here.

You have to
    1. get to the enemy.
    2. be at the same altitude (which can be very difficult in difficult terrain and with hoverblades or rotors on you or your enemy).
    3. hit him if he evades.
    4. rush into a bulk of enemies if you wanna use it.
    5. keep them alive until impact.
    6. do serious damage and then FINISH him before he gets repairs, because you are exposed.
    I think they would fit better to StarMade than RoboCraft ;)

It would look cool if we could render a 16x16 texture over 1x1 block arrays, showing lightening between the ship's body and it's wings.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Tesla blades in RoboCraft are completely underpowered - just like Explosive blocks here.
    I've actually seen some videos of tesla blades setup inside of an open square with thrusters. They just fly right onto players and often OHKO them in the middle of the 4 blades. It's hilarious. Semi-practical, but it actually works.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I love trains ... WOOOM

Try it again with 300ms ping.

Reaction score
    I think ramming is one of the easyest ways to damage ships.
    but at the moment, we have a ramming block that can be shot before ramming.
    also it will damage you probably more then the enemy!

besides that, in servers ramming is almost illigal.
    as it creates lag and weird things that you are stuck in each other.

my solution!
    tesla blade.
    my own very creative idea of a cool ramming system!

this is a rough sketch of what it would look like!
    its energy based and when you ram somebody the blue energy line disapears!
    to get it back to working you'll need to charge it!
    it does no damage to your ship!
    it look awesome!
    it can be stacked!

usefull to do more damage!

WARNING NOTE:
    i am totaly not creative as you probably already saw.
    this idea and the pictures are from the game ROBOCRAFT.
    although it is from an other game, we can use the idea!
    because common, it is a cool thing
    I wasn't very surprised to something related to Robocraft here :p

The idea in general though would be cool, although it should differ a lot from Robocraft

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Legacy Citizen 4

You have to
    1. get to the enemy.
    2. be at the same altitude (which can be very difficult in difficult terrain and with hoverblades or rotors on you or your enemy).
    3. hit him if he evades.
    4. rush into a bulk of enemies if you wanna use it.
    5. keep them alive until impact.
    6. do serious damage and then FINISH him before he gets repairs, because you are exposed.
    I think they would fit better to StarMade than RoboCraft ;)

It would look cool if we could render a 16x16 texture over 1x1 block arrays, showing lightening between the ship's body and it's wings.
    From experience, they're insanely deadly.
    TX-1 Armour, Shielding?
    This guy flies out covered in tesla blades and cuts my entire robot in half, before killing me shortly after.
    This has happened multiple times, and gives me the impression that they're actually really powerful >.<

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Uh, no. We already have a melee weapon. Damage pulses.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    As much as I love melee weapons on ships, the game isn't optimized well enough for it, because it WILL result in massive collisions when trying to use it.

Also why do people think its a good idea to suggest something from other games or media? We don't need photon torpedoes, Doom BFGs, Halo glassing cannons, and light sabers.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    for everyone i just want to mention that we could use the idea!

i never said that we should totaly copy it. and you can also use it for indoor stuff.
    think of a huge core you made inside your ship in that core is your ship core.
    the core is cylinder formed, think of covering the outside with moving tesla blades!
    think of the awesome look of tesla blades moving over rails in round around the cylinder.
    you can also use it for a deadly door. deactivating with logic.

anyone ever used damage pusle for real damage and battle changing attacks?

if we want to use something simular to tesla blades we can just think of it and costumize it to our own design.
    i bet robocraft didn't come up with it as first one. anyways ship and station and pirates are also from real world and other games.
    only they are that far personolised that it looks like a special thing.

ow and by the way,
    anyone also noticed that many of us play robocraft? :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I use damage pulse for interior security, and destroying things that get too close to my ships hull.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    anyone ever used damage pusle for real damage and battle changing attacks?
    That there is the biggest problem for this suggestions. People dislike Damage pulse because they have to get close to use it. This also requires you to get close. People do not like to dance with titan-fighters with the current thrust system, it will have a few days of amusement, then fall into the same niche as Damage pulse and Warheads are currently.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It would be the perfect weapon for cloaked ships.

Damage pulse is too optimized for multiple-targets and multiple-blocks to break the shield.

We need a high-damage, low-block-number meele weapon with alpha damage against shields too, because you can't build that right now.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    That there is the biggest problem for this suggestions. People dislike Damage pulse because they have to get close to use it. This also requires you to get close. People do not like to dance with titan-fighters with the current thrust system, it will have a few days of amusement, then fall into the same niche as Damage pulse and Warheads are currently.
    aaah that's the problem,
    I never said that you have to use it on a titan!
    I mean who doesn't know titans aren't and won't ever be good at moving.
    thats where the smaller ships come in to play a better role!
    titans destroy titans
    medium sized ships destroy small/medium sized ships and turrets
    small sized ships destroy small sized ships and turrets

you see? small sized ships are more focused on small things
    medium on bigger things
    and titans can't even aim well, they don't need to.

in a 1vs1 fight this has totaly no matter.
    but think of a faction fleet battle.
    10vs10
    this can be massive, instead of 20 titans, having small ships would now be usefull.

to get back to the tesla blade, they can only be used by manuvable ships, the ones that can dodge missiles.

btw check first post i changed it and added an idea

Damage pulse is too optimized for multiple-targets and multiple-blocks to break the shield.

We need a high-damage, low-block-number meele weapon with alpha damage against shields too, because you can't build that right now.
    exactly, and you could stay cloaked untill you attack like a ninja! :D

Last edited:

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    you see? small sized ships are more focused on small things
    medium on bigger things
    and titans can't even aim well, they don't need to.
    The game does no regonized Big/Small/etc. It's all just ships. There is absolutely nothing stopping a titan from covering it's port side with these and slamming into a station.

"Titan-fighter" is actually mocking the thrust system. In a fighter-v-fighter match, contact damage blocks like these are not useful at all, fighters move too fasts and easily increase the distance and dodge. It's a challenge to just stay within 100m.
    Titans and other large ships Also move like this, they have that ridiculous ability to fly full speed in any direction, they just can't turn. The main use for close range weapons like this should be small versus big, since the big can not dodge it well, and thus anti-small turrets etc etc. As long as large ships can go full speed sideways on a dime, close range weapons are just not useless. Maybe after the thrust reworking.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11

I'm pretty sure Missile/Beam is a much better weapon for cloaked ships. 45 seconds of alpha is great for something that can only get one hit in before needing to hide again. It also does high damage to blocks if the shield breaks.

Also, Damage Pulse and multiple targets? With a 30m diameter? That's a funny joke. You've got better luck hitting multiple ships with the radius on a nuke than with a pulse.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Also, Damage Pulse and multiple targets? With a 30m diameter? That's a funny joke. You've got better luck hitting multiple ships with the radius on a nuke than with a pulse.
    To add to that, Damage pulse does pitiful damage against shields normally. There main damage feature is full damage to all blocks in range, but they only hit shields once, which really hurts a weapon that only has a DPS/block of 0.5.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This is neither "your own," nor is it "creative," as you had stated in the top of the post. That said, it wouldn't be bad for ground warfare or for attacks on titans' turrets by fighters, with the right balancing. That said, this "right balancing" would be the opposite of what you suggested in the bottom of your post: it would require the weapon to be geared to fighters and have diminishing returns and dramatically higher power costs for stacking the modules on larger ships.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This is neither "your own," nor is it "creative," as you had stated in the top of the post. That said, it wouldn't be bad for ground warfare or for attacks on titans' turrets by fighters, with the right balancing. That said, this "right balancing" would be the opposite of what you suggested in the bottom of your post: it would require the weapon to be geared to fighters and have diminishing returns and dramatically higher power costs for stacking the modules on larger ships.
    have you fully read my post? There is a warning note :p i was just joking about the creativity to make people like you not waste sentences about my creativity.
    i wanted higher power usage because i needed some way of nerfing the weapon. you dont want some small cheap ship flying into you and damage much. and you kill him and he did more damage to you that you to him.

The game does no regonized Big/Small/etc. It's all just ships. There is absolutely nothing stopping a titan from covering it's port side with these and slamming into a station.

"Titan-fighter" is actually mocking the thrust system. In a fighter-v-fighter match, contact damage blocks like these are not useful at all, fighters move too fasts and easily increase the distance and dodge. It's a challenge to just stay within 100m.
    Titans and other large ships Also move like this, they have that ridiculous ability to fly full speed in any direction, they just can't turn. The main use for close range weapons like this should be small versus big, since the big can not dodge it well, and thus anti-small turrets etc etc. As long as large ships can go full speed sideways on a dime, close range weapons are just not useless. Maybe after the thrust reworking.
    i was talking theoraticly about ships. just how it is/should be. as i said titans vs titans, the game doesn't recocnise it, but we do.
    i forgot about the fact that titans can move left and right superfast but when fixed, you as titan owner would use tesla blades for ramming.
    maybe for some defense against ramming but not more than that. the tesla blade would fix the uselessness of small fighters in big battles. or atleast help to fix it. and yes, in a 1vs1 battle they will be tricky to use, but isn't that with all the melee?