Tertiary Effects for Warheads

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    My suggestion is as the title says: adding the effects of the weapon systems to warheads to allow for more complex explosion types. Ion effect comes to mind, so you essentially have a massive EMP bomb. Overdrive might make a single block into a nuke. Explosive might help in the radius, but not damage. The list goes on.

I say this because me and my friend recently made a torpedo corvette that launches, as it sounds, torpedoes. Not missiles, but actual man-made projectiles that use warheads as it's payload. They can be AI guided, or dumb fire. It's pretty cool. The AI actually follow targets from what i've seen.

Here's a few demonstrations of said torpedos to give you the idea of it working:

They may not look effective due to the small payload, but they ignore shields, which is great, and would be able to due even more wide ranges of effects with Tertiary systems.

That's pretty much it, honestly. Discuss below.

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The use of warhead torpedos is a commonly discussed topic. Many love them, many hate them.

I personally don't like them that much, but I can absolutly see good use for torpedos with slaved effects.

Reaction score
    Wow does it actually follow targets? I'd like to see that, is the ship public, or is a recording avalible?

About your idea, it is good, starmade has potential, everything should be able to be connected to everything!
    I mean we already have Bm systems, they suck, but you can make them anyways and that is nice!

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I should dig up my old torpedo's using push effect. They are handy.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I like this idea... I'm hoping that Warheads get a complete overhaul. But I'm not expecting it any time soon.

In the mean time here's how to make guided Torpedo that does some decent damage:
    It works by clipping through the targets armor.
    Here's the kind of damage it can do: (approximately 150 system blocks worth)

The jist of how it works:

Endal

Ex Torpedo Researcher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hmm, Tertiary effects for warheads do sound nice, it'll help with the awful damage and resultant uselessness it has right now by giving warheads more niche roles. Would also give an incentive to build torpedo bombers and their carriers, making fleets more lively.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    We did some more testing and concluded that guided AI missile function, but very poorly. They will orbit around a set distance between the ship's core and will not leave that orbit to do anything else. You can guess that it may function better against large ships with huge cores as it attempts to bore it's way through into the hull to try and get into orbit range of the core. So, it conclusion, it's only useless against small targets, and works well against big targets, which, all in all, isn't terrible since torpedoes should really only be used against big, moving targets/static targets anyways.

Edit: in reality, this thread should really be about giving more capabilities to developing torpedoes as weapons. Perhaps even giving AI the ability to go full on suicide mode as an option, like how they can assume set roles as turrets/ships accordingly, they can assume role as torpedo/guided projectile, attempting to fly into the enemy core as close as possible.

Last edited:

Endal

Ex Torpedo Researcher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    We did some more testing and concluded that guided AI missile function, but very poorly. They will orbit around a set distance between the ship's core
    I'll have to correct you there, it is a set distance between the Center-of-masses(COM) of the two ships. An unarmed AI will orbit at approximately 40m on "Any" target and ~45m on "Selected" target. Also, having another AI option for torpedoes is all well and good, but until ship AI changes I don't see much of a difference between the two.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I'll have to correct you there, it is a set distance between the Center-of-masses(COM) of the two ships. An unarmed AI will orbit at approximately 40m on "Any" target and ~45m on "Selected" target. Also, having another AI option for torpedoes is all well and good, but until ship AI changes I don't see much of a difference between the two.
    I feel like we said the same thing but you gave actual numbers on it's 'set' distance
    Except for the core part, thanks for clarifying that.