Tech comparison - StM vs SkW

Reaction score
    LWJGL+Java vs Unity
    I wanted to ask these question for a long time, and here they are:
    1) in theis vid fellow space sandbox developer Francois Duret demonstrates very fast and impressive procedural asteroid belt that consists of huge amount of objects loading at incredible speed. Even while he moves at very high speed (compared to SM's maximum), generation produces no artifacts and fps keeps being high. Is it possible to get at least similar speed with java? Afaik, generation speed in SM way slower even with recent optimization updates, extremely visible example of this - planets, I believe they consist of the same amount of blocks as visible asteroid belt on vid, but they load for a minute or even few. This seamless and fast loading and detalization level change impressed me so hard...
    2) in this vid you can see a super fancy-looking star, texture of which is procedurally generated and animated. Will we have something similar in future? I'm fine with sprite in alpha (for 5 years already) but I guess it won't be okay in beta or release.
    3) space skybox texture in both vids is magnificent compared to current ugly SM placeholder, while in SkW nebulas and stars on skybox are also real object that can be visited by player. Any plans for that?
    4) Lighting in SM is a bit worse even at max settings compared to Unity + DX11 used in SkW. Any plans of upgrading this?

SM is still way better in SkW in all other aspects (except that SkW has small_bricks-in-block system that afaik will never be implemented in SM because of java perfomance limitation) and this is not advertising - this game was already discussed few times here.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    1. The asteroids are immobile and cannot be interacted with.
    2. Straight up better.
    3. I never was sure about starmade skyboxes, I think it has something to do with how sectors are technically infinite.
    4. Hard to say anything concrete, I imagine lighting is easier when most objects cannot be altered.

Reactions: The_Owl and Top 4ce
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    SW is using a premade engine that allows for fancy visuals, but not significant depth.

The Starmade engine was built from scratch and they can do pretty much whatever they want in it, as well as significant optimizations.

In starmade skyboxes, every Star you see is an actual star btw. You can travel too and interact with all of them.

As far as Stars go, they have had one major update a while back that I can rember. It would be nice to see them get the attention that desrve, however that is secondary to main game development.

In short SW has some cool premade visuals and a nice logic system. In every other respect I feel that SM offers more depth.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    It is worth noting that much of the slowness in loading SM planets seems to be related more to problems with the entity that is their core than the SM rendering process. Try destroying a planet's core and watch how much faster plates load in. Since planets apparently still have a major update pending this may change soon.

The_Owl

Alpha is not an excuse
    Reaction score
    give it a year or 2 and we'll see when the "universe update" comes out

Reaction score
    Give it a year or two and SW will have physic mechanics. Heck if i refer to what he said on his kickstarter page that's gonna be way less.