System Inventory (Solution to ship construction tedium)

Reaction score
    My point is if no one is forcing me to use the system I won't. I'd rather select where blocks will be specifically. I like to build variants of ships that have different armor configurations and system placements. If I have to designate what goes where it still actually doesn't help me at all.

If I want a 20x20 area with shield capacitors and I change my mind but want the capacitors in front of the regen. How would this system reduce the time it takes me to accomplish something like that? I can't seem to understand how this would help me. I get that people are tired of having to hunt for blocks when they want to refit but this seems like a restrictive system that is simplified by letting the player place blocks freely.

I would rather see systems not require the placing of random blocks for a power boost. Sort of how power works right but more in terms of the restrictions vs. payoffs paradigm.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If I want a 20x20 area with shield capacitors and I change my mind but want the capacitors in front of the regen. How would this system reduce the time it takes me to accomplish something like that? I can't seem to understand how this would help me. I get that people are tired of having to hunt for blocks when they want to refit but this seems like a restrictive system that is simplified by letting the player place blocks freely.
    It would reduce the time needed to do that because you would never need to
    • Look for
    • Remove
    • Replace
    • Link
    the blocks that you want to replace. You just drag and drop blocks in a cargo inventory and move sliders around or something to assign it to groups on the fly, and the system inventory now pretends you have those blocks on your ship.

You would never explicitly assign an area anywhere, the entire system inventory is just one big cargo space.

Reaction score
    You would never explicitly assign an area anywhere, the entire system inventory is just one big cargo space.
    That's my problem with it. I can't be utterly specific with where my blocks are. If I take damage to my system cargo blocks what happens? Do I just lose random blocks?

When I build combat ships I'm specific in where systems are placed so that they can absorb damage before more critical systems. System placement is critical to the damage system. With this proposed system you have no control over the physical location of a given system, aside from confining it to a given space. My guns could be at my rear and my power system right in front.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    That's my problem with it. I can't be utterly specific with where my blocks are. If I take damage to my system cargo blocks what happens? Do I just lose random blocks?
    Yup, that was the idea. If you have a larger proportion of a certain kind of block in the inventory, that block would have a higher chance of being lost when system cargo space decreases, etc.

When I build combat ships I'm specific in where systems are placed so that they can absorb damage before more critical systems. System placement is critical to the damage system. With this proposed system you have no control over the physical location of a given system, aside from confining it to a given space. My guns could be at my rear and my power system right in front.
    I do understand that it'd take away from the immersion of having X system be hit only affecting X system, and that's a shame.

I have to be absolutely frank though, i don't think that's a problem. Usually when you take damage to systems, unless you're flying a ship so big that the systems are hundreds of blocks of dimension, the shot pierces through X amount of different modules and cuts off power lines left and right. This system makes such damage a little more predictable and allows ship shapes that would otherwise be unviable (exotic alien ships with detached "pods", long stretched out curving snake shapes, ships where detailing causes there to be lots of disconnected empty spaces inside the ship) to be a little more competitive.

Along with making ship construction and refitting much less tedious, its a tradeoff i wouldn't mind.

The real question is how would turrets work.