System Control Computers- Introducing New Features and Saving IDs

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    We all know there's a growing problem of limited ID spaces. The question is, how can we help limit this problem as much as possible? Many people have suggested ways the help with this, but I've got one I've never seen before, that would also introduce new gameplay features.

Introducing... Computers and Cards.

This is an idea to clear up the IDs taken up by all the various computers.

Computers will be replaced with a System Control Computer, which will be openable. Inside has one slot (as well as some other things I'll get into later). These slots can be filled with Cards. What are cards, you ask? They're meta items, which don't take block IDs, used to replace the now removed individual system computers. They can be produced in a factory just like the old comps for the same price. Cards are placed in the slots of SCCs, and will cause this SCC to now act like a computer of the kind of card installed. SCCs can be slaved together just like the current system.

So, how many IDs would this save? 4 for weapons, plus 9 for effects, plus 6 support systems, plus scanners, jump drives, cloaking, and jamming, saves us 22 IDs, plus any future systems added. I'd have included warp gates, but I feel this might mess up the marker beam stuff.

Now, you're probably thinking that 22 IDs isn't worth all this trouble. Well, lucky for you, I've got some additional features for these things.

-An option to switch between waffled and staggered firing modes. Staggered works by setting a firing order (left to right, up to down) or manually ordering outputs, and then setting a time between shots. Want a constant firing weapon? Set up the time so that the last shot ends as the first begins. All your dreams of burst fire and gatling guns can finally come true, without the inaccuracies of logic fired weaponry.

-A toggle for outputting logic when fired. Do you want those cool after-firing effects, like fake recoil with rails, or a glowing weapon output that "cools down", or a blast cover sliding back over your vertical missile launchers? Do you want them while still being able to properly aim or lock on? This is what you're looking for.

-A display on the front that lists things like remaining reload time or expected length of a cloak/jam, slaved weapons and effects, and possibly more.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    There's not much to say, well apart from a question: When can we have this?

Reactions: Lecic

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    But wouldn't these cards be Sprites like rod-lights if you can slave them?

I would like a generic array controller.
    You can slave exactly one block type of any type to it, but not 2 different at a time.

The you place a controller which controls "slot-cards" or "Plugin" - maybe call it Main-Board block.
    There is one Master-Plugin, one Slave-Plugin, one Effect-Plugin which you place around the Main-Board block.​

Then you may link one of our current weapon/effect computers to the Main-Board.
    It would double as a seat and decorative.​

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    But wouldn't these cards be Sprites like rod-lights if you can slave them? ...
    You won't be slaving cards to the computer. You will "insert" the card (metadata) into the computer to change its behavior, at which point the computer can be mastered or slaved with other systems.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You won't be slaving cards to the computer. You will "insert" the card (metadata) into the computer to change its behavior, at which point the computer can be mastered or slaved with other systems.
    Ups...

But still, thinking more about it: It would be cool.
    You could access different logic-properties of the mainboard, whether your Main-Board is a
    • booby-AI { (do)aim, (hold)fire, ... }
    • weapon-controller {master, slave, effect}
    • dock-controller aka activation block {dock/undock, change direction, ...}

I know you thought about something else, but setting these properties through Plugins would give you an ability to not only technically but also visually "upgrade" your computer.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    But wouldn't these cards be Sprites like rod-lights if you can slave them?

I would like a generic array controller.
    You can slave exactly one block type of any type to it, but not 2 different at a time.

The you place a controller which controls "slot-cards" or "Plugin" - maybe call it Main-Board block.
    There is one Master-Plugin, one Slave-Plugin, one Effect-Plugin which you place around the Main-Board block.​
    Then you may link one of our current weapon/effect computers to the Main-Board.
    It would double as a seat and decorative.​
    How exactly does this provide the functions of the System Control Computer I've suggested?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    How exactly does this provide the functions of the System Control Computer I've suggested?
    So, how many IDs would this save? 4 for weapons, plus 9 for effects, plus 6 support systems, plus scanners, jump drives, cloaking, and jamming, saves us 22 IDs, plus any future systems added. I'd have included warp gates, but I feel this might mess up the marker beam stuff.
    1st flaw :you can't make one computer more expensive than the other.

2n flaw: We would keep all these for decorative purposes.
    Perhaps we would condense 4 into 1 (4/6 screens (auto-orientates toward player if one of my suggestions make it in), 2/6 cover face).​

3rd flaw : No visible indication (apart from popups - which I consider spam), what is plugged in. You need another block to indicate that.

My idea provides 12 Plugins = for different functions * number Main-Boards which only requires 2 Block-IDs
    Their function would depend on whether they are plugged in x, y or z axis to a block and their primary face orientation (like wedges).
    Because you can plug 3, each with 4 rotations, it gives you: 4^3 = 64 choices

Since they are connected to the Main-Board, you would have 4 bit input.

And you can expand upon that - add 3 different Plugin-Blocks or allow up to 6 Plugins per block - if required.
    You can also set different prices:
    A better Chip would cost more or much rarer materials.​

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    1st flaw :you can't make one computer more expensive than the other.
    The card meta items are produced in factories and cost the same as their computer blocks currently do.

2n flaw: We would keep all these for decorative purposes.
    Perhaps we would condense 4 into 1 (4/6 screens (auto-orientates toward player if one of my suggestions make it in), 2/6 cover face).
    3rd flaw : No visible indication (apart from popups - which I consider spam), what is plugged in. You need another block to indicate that.
    "A display on the front that lists things like remaining reload time or expected length of a cloak/jam, slaved weapons and effects, and possibly more."

Does covering the front of the computer with information of what it is not cover the "decorative" and "no visible indication of what is plugged in" complaints?

My idea provides 12 Plugins = for different functions * number Main-Boards which only requires 2 Block-IDs
    Their function would depend on whether they are plugged in x, y or z axis to a block and their primary face orientation (like wedges).
    Because you can plug 3, each with 4 rotations, it gives you: 4^3 = 64 choices

Since they are connected to the Main-Board, you would have 4 bit input.

And you can expand upon that - add 3 different Plugin-Blocks or allow up to 6 Plugins per block - if required.
    You can also set different prices:
    A better Chip would cost more or much rarer materials.
    Your system may only need two IDs, but mine only needs ONE.

Also, the actual gameplay effects of your system still doesn't make any sense to me. There's plugins and boards and choices, but what does that actually mean?

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    We all know there's a growing problem of limited ID spaces. The question is, how can we help limit this problem as much as possible? Many people have suggested ways the help with this, but I've got one I've never seen before, that would also introduce new gameplay features.

Introducing... Computers and Cards.

This is an idea to clear up the IDs taken up by all the various computers.

Computers will be replaced with a System Control Computer, which will be openable. Inside has one slot (as well as some other things I'll get into later). These slots can be filled with Cards. What are cards, you ask? They're meta items, which don't take block IDs, used to replace the now removed individual system computers. They can be produced in a factory just like the old comps for the same price. Cards are placed in the slots of SCCs, and will cause this SCC to now act like a computer of the kind of card installed. SCCs can be slaved together just like the current system.

Now, you're probably thinking that 22 IDs isn't worth all this trouble. Well, lucky for you, I've got some additional features for these things.

-An option to switch between waffled and staggered firing modes. Staggered works by setting a firing order (left to right, up to down) or manually ordering outputs, and then setting a time between shots. Want a constant firing weapon? Set up the time so that the last shot ends as the first begins. All your dreams of burst fire and gatling guns can finally come true, without the inaccuracies of logic fired weaponry.

-A toggle for outputting logic when fired. Do you want those cool after-firing effects, like fake recoil with rails, or a glowing weapon output that "cools down", or a blast cover sliding back over your vertical missile launchers? Do you want them while still being able to properly aim or lock on? This is what you're looking for.

-A display on the front that lists things like remaining reload time or expected length of a cloak/jam, slaved weapons and effects, and possibly more.
    Awesome! ;)

Reactions: Lecic and Snk