Sympathy for the Pirates

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This is a humble suggestion, and may not be popular... Yes, everyone hates the pirates. Yes, they are heartless, soulless brigands who would sell their mothers for fermented y-hole space-rum. BUT!

Can there be some minimum sanity checking on pirate craft before they spawn? By default, a pirate can spawn in any craft, unless the admin specifically disallows it. They almost always appear in a squadron of the same craft.

It's so sad to fly through a cloud of poor little pirate turrets, doors or lifts spinning madly in the vaccum. For them, no glory, no booty, no space-rum. Just impotent rage in the darkness.

So what if the pirate spawning routine did a quick check of thrust/mass, energy/consumption, and offensive potential before it spawned the pirates? This should prevent me from being menaced by a squadron of hostile elevators.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I've been attacked by an entire squadron of shipping containers, which made for good target practice but not much else. I do think they should have a better sorting system for what ships spawn as a pirates, at the very least a way to sort out the lifts, doors, and other non-ship entities that are only parts of the greater whole. That way the poor pirates won't have to fly a cargo bay door into battle, only to be ridiculed before they meet their deaths in the harsh vacuum of space.

Reaction score
    Isn't that what the Ship Scores will be used for?

https://star-made.org/news/starmade-v0-19361-flash-light-ship-scores-on-ship-spawning-bugfixes

schema: "... we can also then use the scores to determine pirate spawning by difficulty, and adapt it depending on how powerful the combined scores of the players in an area are, which should lead to a lot better scaling difficulty and therefore more fun."

Still not sure if that will prevent vicious pirate doors from spawning in, maybe only if you are flying in a door too?

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Still not sure if that will prevent vicious pirate doors from spawning in, maybe only if you are flying in a door too?
    Sounds like a pokemon battle between a Magikarp and a Metapod.

Magikarp, use Splash!
    Metapod, use Harden!

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    *Flies a giant door and slaps everyone's ships into the sun*

Who's poor and little now, eh?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    *Flies a giant door and slaps everyone's ships into the sun*

Who's poor and little now, eh?
    Makes me want to fly around in a big rotor I built as part of the engines on a destroyer:D.

Just seeing a giant fan blade flying at you would make any pirate wish they were wearing their brown pants!

Reactions: Ithirahad

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Isn't this mostly a blueprint permission issue? So the real suggestion is to turn off all permissions by default with newly saved blueprints, so that the blueprint manager has to manually apply permissions for each new saved entity to any factions they choose. Such a thing is probably already planned for the next big faction update.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Isn't this mostly a blueprint permission issue? So the real suggestion is to turn off all permissions by default with newly saved blueprints, so that the blueprint manager has to manually apply permissions for each new saved entity to any factions they choose. Such a thing is probably already planned for the next big faction update.
    I thought it was already a thing, I mean when you upload ships to a server they aren't set as pirates. Probably just the defaults needing to be switched around.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I keep on spawning in pirates in SP to test my builds, and then seeing a number of turrets and movable wings spawn in. I have had THOUGHT that I removed everything that was not actually a ship, but I keep on creating new ones, so there is always a few pirates in turrets.

Reaction score
    Currently there are 4 Permission tags for blueprints that have existed for the better part of 2 years.

Faction: Members of the same faction as the owner can see and obtain these ship via the "Public Tab"
    Other: All members of the server the blueprint is uploaded to can see and obtain the ship via the "Public Tab"
    Home Base: A feature that I have never really tested nor confirmed, but restricts buying or obtaining this blueprint to the Store Zone of the faction home base.
    Enemy Usable: Allows the AI system to select this blueprint as a Pirate. (Used by server admins to set custom pirates)

Now for the reason why the core of this topic happens.

In the past and probably still true for the present, blueprints not owned by anyone would be added to the "Enemy Usable" tag by default. This can be a major problem for a multi-player server or even a single player build server containing a lot of blueprints.

The most common cause for this happening is wiping a server without clearing the blueprint list.

I hope this has helped shed some light on the matter.