Read by Council Symmetry Improovement Discussion

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    - Safe Symmetry Mode

I wish for an option in advanced buildmode which states that if checked it will only remove blocks of the same kind as the one which is being clicked on on the other symmetry planes.

Means if you click on a black hull wedge to delete it, the blocks on the other symmetrys are not black hull wedges they will not get deleted. which in case of there being a salvagecomputer or NOT-signal is a really nice thing...

- symmetry toggle

For the exact same reason, I have desired a 'symmetry toggle' which would allow you to maintain your symmetry lines.. but perhaps tap a hotkey to turn them off while quickly attending to an a-symmetrical feature.

- Symmetry Indicators
    As well, folks on stream (mainly @SmilingDemon, if I recall) have called for a bold indicator on screen of sort to remind you have which lines you have active. Maybe he'll wander in and elaborate on that one!

Last edited:

ToasterBorst

Formerly known as Weishaupt
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Wired for Logic
    For the exact same reason, I have desired a 'symmetry toggle' which would allow you to maintain your symmetry lines.. but perhaps tap a hotkey to turn them off while quickly attending to an a-symmetrical feature.

As well, folks on stream (mainly SmilingDemon, if I recall) have called for a bold indicator on screen of sort to remind you have which lines you have active. Maybe he'll wander in and elaborate on that one! :)

Any chance you'd be willing to edit this to be 'symmetry improvement discussion' and edit the original post as it continues to include the best points of the discussion as it evolves with the community?

Also, not going to tag this thread quite yet as I'd like to see more discussion on the topic and also don't want any other councilors to overlook it.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    S-Mode-Agreed (Yes please!)
    S-Toggle-Agreed
    S-Indicator: There are colored 'Screens' indicating the active symmetry plane already. They are had to see because otherwise they would block the view for building. Perhaps an additional indicator on the HUD would help.

Reactions: ToasterBorst
    Reaction score
    • Tester
    Summoned i was ;)

Yeah the icon indication is the solution i would prefer. if you are moving far enough away from the set mirror plane you cant see them anylonger ... especially if you are using them on a planet and afterwards build on a station that might cause some confusion ^^

Icons like these on the top
    Screenshot_1.jpg

Reactions: ToasterBorst
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I don't think slab symmetry has been fixed yet, so add that to this list.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I don't think slab symmetry has been fixed yet, so add that to this list.
    It wasn't ever broken. You just have to enable mirror cubes in the advanced build mode menu... And now it is enabled by default, thanks to Schema. :D

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I would also recommend sub-symmetry sets. This would allow you to create symmetrical shapes on both sides of the main symmetrical plane at the same time.

Example: Let's say you want to make symmetrical engine pods on both sides of a ship.
    dragondecktwo_subsymmetry_example_804481.jpg
    Normally, you would either have to make each engine symmetrical with careful planning, using a central symmetry plane (indicated by the solid red line) or else set up an "anchor point" with this symmetry, and re-arrange the symmetry plane for each engine, building them one at a time, with automatic symmetry (indicated by the two dotted red lines). But that is prone to errors. (Accidentally leaving the symmetry plane on one of the engines, thinking it is centrally located on the ship's body instead.)

With sub-symmetry planes, you can set it all up at once. A main symmetry plane on the ship body, then sub-symmetry for both engines at the same time.

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I will throw these aditional planes in:
    What we have now
    and what I want

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I used to have big issues with it, but now it seems fixed whatever they did XD
    Nope still bugged; strangely enough it is bugged only when it feels like it. Sometimes no troubles other times have to do all sides one by one.