Sustained Warp vs. Schine Engine

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    16 systems = 256 sectors - is that not enough?
    How else do you want an interesting Gate-Network without instantaneous arrival?

*joke ahead* Perhaps you can tweak it a bit to 32 systems or even 64, but you should not set 128 systems on a 64-bit server :D
    Code:
    <DistanceInSectors>128</DistanceInSectors> <!-- default: 8 systems -->
    Its 128 sectors, aka 8 systems in default configs. -.-

Try building a network from one galaxy to another, on the server we play they sadly got default gate configs, and between the spawn galaxy and the one we settled in, thats a freeking 10 gates from edge to edge of the two galaxies, meaning if you want a way back too, thats 20 gates, still 10 stations if you put two gates on one station. Id honestly be happy if it were 256 sectors, that would cut down the gate stations down to 5.

If i could wish for something, it be 512 sectors range, and a change in the energycost calculation, aka that the distance also increases the energy cost per ship, and not only the ships mass.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If i could wish for something, it be 512 sectors range, and a change in the energycost calculation, aka that the distance also increases the energy cost per ship, and not only the ships mass.
    Sounds good to me.

If you have 2 gates per station, perhaps 1 reactor is enough to power two.

1. If they take more energy for ships actually passing through than being active,
    and reactors are the blocks which take the majority of resources it would make building hubs interesting.
    .​
    In StarGate, the gate-bridge between Milkyway and Andromeda has several gates too.

2. Maybe we could have a similar mechanic where you can set a gate to "forward".
    Then twice the default = 16 systems, would be sufficient.​

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Code:
    <DistanceInSectors>128</DistanceInSectors> <!-- default: 8 systems -->
    Its 128 sectors, aka 8 systems in default configs. -.-

Try building a network from one galaxy to another, on the server we play they sadly got default gate configs, and between the spawn galaxy and the one we settled in, thats a freeking 10 gates from edge to edge of the two galaxies, meaning if you want a way back too, thats 20 gates, still 10 stations if you put two gates on one station. Id honestly be happy if it were 256 sectors, that would cut down the gate stations down to 5.

If my idea were implemented, you could kick back and wait a while to get there instead, but it would take far longer than with your gates. Honestly, I think intergalactic travel is purposefully painful to make other galaxies feel genuinely remote. The feel I'd like to have is taking half an hour or so to get to one, like traveling between systems in the pre-FTL days only not as hard on the finger. Gates should be a convenient "highway system" between populated areas, while jump/warp is for short distance hops, journeys on the frontier, or exploration.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I'd prefer FTL travel to take time and would like that mechanic over the current system. The number of FTL modules, instead of determining max jump range, will determine FTL speed. Instead of doing several jumps to reach your destination, you should just remain at FTL speed until you get to the waypoint. You should be able to cancel, but while at FTL you can't alter course.

Then, we can add in Star Wars Interdictor-cruiser mechanics and have modules which can prevent FTL in the area and even pull FTL ships back into normal space. ;)

Just my two cents.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Maybe sustained warp could work like Star Control 2's hyperspace, where you go into an alternate version of the universe, and travel at "normal" speed, but everything is much closer together in that hyperspace universe, so the same speed results in a much farther distance per time. Interdiction would involve an enemy ship getting into Hyperspace (replace with StarMade's name for the transit area here) near you (Maybe FTL'ing out ahead of you with an instant travel FTL drive and then activating their hyperspace drive to enter the transit area), and pulling out your ship into normal space, somehow. (E.g. Using a pull/stop beam and then turning off their drive to pull you both simultaneously back into normal space.) This seems like an easy way to implement a fast-but-not-instant travel using StarMade's existing mechanics, plus a new mechanic to create a "chibi universe" for fast warp travel.

Reactions: SpaceChief

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Maybe sustained warp could work like Star Control 2's hyperspace, where you go into an alternate version of the universe, and travel at "normal" speed, but everything is much closer together in that hyperspace universe, so the same speed results in a much farther distance per time. Interdiction would involve an enemy ship getting into Hyperspace (replace with StarMade's name for the transit area here) near you (Maybe FTL'ing out ahead of you with an instant travel FTL drive and then activating their hyperspace drive to enter the transit area), and pulling out your ship into normal space, somehow. (E.g. Using a pull/stop beam and then turning off their drive to pull you both simultaneously back into normal space.) This seems like an easy way to implement a fast-but-not-instant travel using StarMade's existing mechanics, plus a new mechanic to create a "chibi universe" for fast warp travel.

I actually really like this idea. It's better than anything else I've seen so far. It reminds me of the nether in Minecraft, where it's 8 times faster to travel through the nether between two portals than it is to travel between the same two portals through the overworld. I'm not sure if the Schine team wants to do something like this, but it would be a world better than the current mechanic.

Reactions: jayman38
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5

This needs own forum thread!

Reaction score

If there is going to be anything like this, it needs its own drive system. Personally, I prefer what this thread has already said about a sustained warp, like they do in Star Trek.