Read by Council Survival Needs

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    If the implementation of "food" or "drink" or "ammunition" is intended to have a more SM "survival mode" and "RPG" let me put my "vision" of the current RPG Starmade:

AMMUNITION
    - All weapons are based on energy, guns do not fire "bullets", they fire pulses of concentrated energy; the beams do not use ammo, use a concentrated beam of energy "laser beam"; missiles do not use ammunition, use concentrated pulses energy tuned to the signal emitted by the enemy ship (so look for the target introduced into the missile computer)

FOOD
    - In space, with advances of converting energy into matter (StarTrek reference), it has made our spacesuits provide us with the nutrients needed to survive in space.

this is just my point of view mates :)
    He speaks wise words, and guns in this game do in-fact produce no recoil NOR kinetic energy transfer upon the target (except for a few notable exceptions, like push beams).

And also mass is a property of energy which actually blew my mind a few months ago when i read that. Its M=e/(c^2), not E=Mc^2

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    If the implementation of "food" or "drink" or "ammunition" is intended to have a more SM "survival mode" and "RPG" let me put my "vision" of the current RPG Starmade:

AMMUNITION
    - All weapons are based on energy, guns do not fire "bullets", they fire pulses of concentrated energy; the beams do not use ammo, use a concentrated beam of energy "laser beam"; missiles do not use ammunition, use concentrated pulses energy tuned to the signal emitted by the enemy ship (so look for the target introduced into the missile computer)

FOOD
    - In space, with advances of converting energy into matter (StarTrek reference), it has made our spacesuits provide us with the nutrients needed to survive in space.

this is just my point of view mates :)
    Excellent, in space, fancy tech exists, pretty much my point of view. Allows us to forego tedious crap like eating/sleeping/defecating/maintaining proper blood iron levels/radiation poisoning/space paraphilias or what have you in the first place, sure is a step up when the games already a grindfest travel simulator :^)

Maybe add in an optional config setting at most for those who want it. If it were to be implemented.

Reaction score
    If you want minecraft go play minecraft, with it's not a 4 quadrillion galaxy play area and different mechanics. If you want space engineers, go play space engineers. If you want to play ARK go play ARK.

This is the thing, just because it uses Java and has build with blocks, StarMade IS NOT minecraft. I mean when was the last time any one had a dog fight with a creeper across 3 sectors while dodging suns and hostile stations and required 360 degree awareness? Never because StarMade IS NOT Minecraft and Minecraft IS NOT StarMade.

Just because a particular mechanic works in one game does not mean it will in another.

Honestly I get tired of seeing 'it works/is fun in minecraft/ARK/Space engineers' etc etc.

What we should be seeing is, "I think it would work in StarMade because (insert StarMade related stuff here leaving out shit about other games that are not StarMade)....'

StarMade is the only game your idea should be compared and related to imho.

Creepers are fun in MineCraft, Exploding Robot Dogs are fun in Space Engineers.... LET'S ADD THEM TO STARMADE COS REASONS!!!
    No, just no. Go play those other games instead that already have it. (Hands up if you've actually even bought starmade :p)

I mean I know some ideas in other games seem like a good idea and can work well in others, or be modified to work in others, but adding food and 'The Sims' game play would just kill this game for myself and many others becausemoreoften than not this kind of thing never translates well

We need missions, we need alien races, we need trading and economy, we need upgradeable systems we need gameplay, what we do not needis tedious RPG shit that makes a game a grindfest.

I do not know about anyone else, but I don't really want my game library filled with 100 games that only differ in titles. ;)

/rant :D

Reactions: Lukwan and Az14el
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    If tedious things such as food and fuel are going to be added, make them an optional server config setting. Game mechanics that the community is very 50/50 about should not be forced on all players. In a way it would be good for diversifying servers, so as long as its not compulsory I wouldn't mind food.

Reaction score
    Starmade Food Mechanic / System

For any food system to be considered there must be first a way to grow, gather, find, harvest, sort, and then consume the foods or products that are generated by the game, so lets think about this for a second, and go thru in depth and explore each mechanic that could possibly be.

Grow:

Growing food takes time, and energy, but we as humans know that growing food takes light,

looking at minecrafts food mechanic, you need it to be watered, it needs light, and sprinkle in a little time and poof, growing food, So what we will need wont really change from these basic needs.

Food would not decay thanks to the stasis properties of the sorting systems of our technologically advanced race.

Gather / Harvest

In mine craft you either pick it by hand, or build some complex machine to do this process for you.

In star-made I'm sure you can pick it by hand, or have a computerized system harvest this resource automatically when the growing cycle is complete, and then have the same computerized system sow the seeds or what have you to restart the process

Find:

Finding new seeds, plants, trees, and other biological interesting things will make it more fun to explore, asteroids, bases, planets, and with the galaxy being generated, and not static, would mean that many plants and seeds would be available, even possible.

Sort:

Sorting is the easy part, you would just hook your Growing/Harvest Block to the sorting system of say your station, you could sort by plant name, or seed name, or even by the color of plants.

Consume:

Consuming food would be no harder then pulling out your pistol to defend yourself from a hostile alien life form. It would take up a inventory space, and a time mechanic would be added to the game, however this is where I differ from MC, I think to balance the food mechanic with game play, you start out with a bar of 100 units of measured food, as time passed, 1 unit for 10 minutes of active game play, a food unit would be used. Starvation would not be an issue as any race of being advanced, would allow for emergency rations to be kept on hand, allowing another extra time to consume food, or get food to consume.

That covers the basics of how I would setup a food system in star made, however once you do this you open a whole can of worms, people will now want stoves, and sinks, and tables, and chairs, and then beds, not to mention pot, pans, plates, and what have you, to stimey this for the time being, I think that quarters would be out fitted with a star trek adaptation, Replicators, for the process of making the final food product, should its parts be available in the sorting system, this would allow you to make plates, and cups, but not actually have to use them as in in game model until such a system is in place, or even feasible, in closing I would like to say that I would support a system that handles a food process that makes sense, and that allows for player adaptability, and that can be turned off for who don't want to use it, or have no desire to see it in their galaxy, each person is different and plays differently, we don't need use one system, but we need a system that makes sense, and makes star made enjoyable.

Thank you!

Reaction score
    The only real way I'd ever want food implemented is for the NPC crews, and even then the system would need to basically be automated once you set it up. For example you set up a farm, designate an NPC and a ship for "delivery" (whether they actually deliver or not I don't really mind), and make sure your stations and ships have somewhere to eat and then you're good to go. Have something like the amount of food divided by the total number of NPCs equal moral or something.

This way you get the motivation to branch out in other bases etc like you would with a regular food system, without the unrelenting tedium that comes with it. Imagine a Minecraft-esque food system amongst a whole fleet? Micromanaging on a galactic scale.
    "Micromanaging on a galactic scale" would also apply to things like fuel etc.

Oxygen/ship atmosphere I would be for if it wasn't for the inevitable performance hit it would entail. Which wouldn't feel worth it for me.

Reaction score
    Right now we already micromanage on a galactic scale. That's improving, but there's still no good way to avoid micromanaging the mining of a planet, fleets are still really management-intensive, and I'm sure that more mechanics will be added before less micromanaging is possible.

Anyway, I'd recommend a system where you consume food, but it's basically an afterthought. If there's food where you are, you consume it. Perhaps instead of taking health, eating a good (Well, better than freeze-dried rehydrated rations from your suit's pocket dimension, anyway) meal can add some health. As in, if you have food, you will slowly regain food every time a food "tick" (When you and all your crew "eats" from a ship's or planet's food inventory) passes in the presence of food. Normally, you just eat the freeze-dried rehydrated pocket-dimension food that is not very plentiful, and so regain no strength.

And yes, NPC morale should be tied to the food they have to consume. The longer you make them eat the basic rations, the less happy they get.

Whoops, forgot production methods. I think that some sort of farming setup should be required, but you set it up, set up the supply route if you want some food taken to another station or planet, and then leave it and the cargo ship to be run by NPCs.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Right now we already micromanage on a galactic scale.
    What? No we don't. EI is the only server that even remotely comes close to requiring micromanaging on a galactic scale.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    I'm with the 'Food-as-Resource for crew or stations' crowd. It could be a useful mechanic if it serves a function in empire-management, but I can see no need the astronaut to have a hunger-bar. This is not a survival game and its already plenty complicated. Oxygen would be a head-ache too.

I like the idea of food as an optional alternative for healing. Then no one is forced to fart around with it if they don't want to.

A survival-mode is a valid theme for a building/SF game. Many of the stories from the golden age of science fiction involved some stranded spacer making a hostile environment livable. A low priority for me but it sounds like there are role-players out there who want this.

Reactions: Lecic