Read by Council Survival Needs

Reaction score
    Fall damage is a definite no. ...
    But I don't see how needing to eat food would be relevant. We can mine planets easily... That can give us plenty of plants. ... And food would only be ok for RP stuff... But in overall, needing to eat food would pretty much be a nuisance. Starmade is a game based around making ships and stuff and battling other ships, not survival.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    But I don't see how needing to eat food would be relevant. We can mine planets easily... That can give us plenty of plants. ... And food would only be ok for RP stuff... But in overall, needing to eat food would pretty much be a nuisance. Starmade is a game based around making ships and stuff and battling other ships, not survival.
    I generally agree with this. Hunger in minecraft is just annoying; generally I ignore it completely until I can sustain myself by bringing a stack of melons everywhere. After that, it doesn't affect me at all; melons can be easily farmed in a small space and have a huge yield. I spend 30 seconds of my time breaking every melon block I can see, and after that I'm good for 5+ hours. It may as well not exist at that point; to be honest, I'd probably farm the melons anyway (I like a little harvest moon in my minecraft).

Starmade seems to be going in a macro direction, rather than a micro direction - big fleets, big factions, big space. I'd rather spend my time trading with factions and blowing up pirates than making sure I'm well fed.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I fail to see how Minecraft food is crappy, forced, or even unneeded, though I do find that the implementation could've used a bit of refinement (i.e. buffs; you definitely should not have to shove a massive beefsteak down your throat so often). Without the hunger system, though, there would be nothing to keep you from just digging out a room underground, filling it with torches, and not having to expend any effort on actually surviving ever again. Which happens to be the same issue StarMade is facing right now.
    With the hunger system, I can still dig out a room underground, fill it with torches, and not have to spend any effort on actually surviving again also. Just pipe a little water in and grab a few seeds before you do it.

What's interesting, though, is that people never do that in Minecraft, because that's FUCKING BORING. The driving force in the game is the desire to build and fight things, which, holy shit, happens in Starmade too. Starmade just needs a reason to fight over things.

I don't see why you hate on minecrafts food system so much lecic. You say that no one likes it, but I and everyone I know actually DOES like it. I enjoy preparing and eating food, and usually play with mods that do nothing but add a huge variety of it.

Its a building game, why should we build nothing but warships? Right now thats the only thing that we really need. I for one would like to be able to build a hydroponics station, and enjoy the food it produces.
    What exactly is stopping you from RPing building a hydroponics station and "enjoying" the food it produces already? Seriously, there's no reason to force a shitty hunger mechanic into the game just because you want to RP that the pixel alien mushroom you just "cooked" and "ate" was "delicious."

food adds in REASONS to have a planet base
    Uh, sure, if for some reason the only way to get food is from a planet, and there's zero hydroponics for stations for whatever bizarre reason.

Personally, though, I can think of a lot better reasons to want to have a planet base than food for the player.

Reaction score
    Actually, a planet provides cheap land (Relative to the costs of building, maintaining, and defending a space station) that has 10 sides (At the moment) that all face the local star enough to grow planets.

A station has 1 side the faces the star constantly, and plenty of upkeep costs and problems.

The problems include everyone who is not you and not in your faction wants your space station to A. become theirs or B. be destroyed.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Actually, a planet provides cheap land (Relative to the costs of building, maintaining, and defending a space station) that has 10 sides (At the moment) that all face the local star enough to grow planets.

A station has 1 side the faces the star constantly, and plenty of upkeep costs and problems.

The problems include everyone who is not you and not in your faction wants your space station to A. become theirs or B. be destroyed.
    Is this a joke? Stations can be massively expanded with ease. Let me guess what they'd need- soil, oxygen, and light. Light and soil are easy. Oxygen, unless you want to make spending any amount of time in space in this SPACE GAME a shit experience, is also going to be easy.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I mean, anyone who didn't like you would probably try to blow up your planet base too. And anyone concerned about that should make use of homebase protection.

Reaction score
    Yes, but if you don't claim or rename your planet, you have a reduced chance of being spotted by people, as opposed to a station, which appears on everyone's map and is obviously yours.

Yes, homebase protection.....that's getting nerfed sometime, so we can plan for the future....where a faction's homebase is not an invulnerable killing machine. (When properly equipped with turrets, that is)

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Yes, but if you don't claim or rename your planet, you have a reduced chance of being spotted by people, as opposed to a station, which appears on everyone's map and is obviously yours.
    People tend not to visit stations named things like "Pirate_Station_Alpha_2_4_5_q43523475473."

Yes, homebase protection.....that's getting nerfed sometime, so we can plan for the future....where a faction's homebase is not an invulnerable killing machine. (When properly equipped with turrets, that is)
    As far as we know, no, homebase protection is not getting removed. The game is just moving in a direction where having a single base is impossible to survive with.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Again, your are acting as if most of the community hates food, and yet most of the posts on this thread support some sort of food mechanic. You can hate mincrafts food all you like, that's your right. But you can't speak for everyone when you say that no one likes it.

Also, your argument that people who want food should just pretend that it's in the game is silly. People could also dock their ship to a scaffold and build it off of that and RP that it was a shipyard, does that mean that shipyards were an unneeded feature? You COULD just self-destruct your ship everytime you went near a star and pretend that it was destroyed by heat, does that mean that sun damage should not be a thing.

So far, you seem to be in the minority, or at least not the majority, when it comes to hating the idea of a food mechanic and survival mechanics in general. Thats OK, I'm sure that any survival mechanics will be server-configurable, as with most things in starmade. But stop behaving as if your opinion is also the opinion of the entire starmade community.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Also, your argument that people who want food should just pretend that it's in the game is silly. People could also dock their ship to a scaffold and build it off of that and RP that it was a shipyard, does that mean that shipyards were an unneeded feature? You COULD just self-destruct your ship everytime you went near a star and pretend that it was destroyed by heat, does that mean that sun damage should not be a thing.
    The difference is that shipyards are an essential feature for the automation of producing large-scale fleets, which are necessary for the future of the game, while food does nothing but subtract from the game by
    1) Wasting time
    2) Wasting inventory space
    3) Wasting space on our hard drives
    4) Wasting developer time
    5) Making the game even more challenging for newbies, while doing absolutely nothing to the late game

And for what? So some guy who likes to pretend he's eating some delicious meal when he shoves some virtual pixel food down his virtual pixel throat can be satisfied? Please. What a fucking waste.

Reaction score
    The only place in Starmade that food belongs is as a tradeable foodstuff that you can buy from one NPC faction for cheap, and then sell to another NPC faction for a profit. Hunger doesn't belong in Starmade.

However, food as a way to heal oneself wouldn't be so bad. But many other systems need fixing before this happens.

Bonus points if you had Space Pizza.

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Can confirm food will be a bad idea. This game isn't minecraft. Minecraft was about basic survival, Starmade is about building spaceships. If we added food, we might as well rename the game Tedium(tm) and be done with it.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    NPC crews really should have some sort of food/supplies as an ongoing cost for buffing the ship.

Player astronauts eating food could really just be an emergency heal system, with various foods each applying different minor buffs to the astronaut (which aren't applicable in ship to ship combat).

Alternately, hunger could be implemented as a simple server option defaulting to off.

Reaction score
    Lecic, I'd recommend some more respect for your fellow forum-goers.

A difference of opinion on videogame food does not need such extreme language. Just sayin'.

1. The whole GAME wastes time. Games are nothing BUT a means to waste time. If you don't like it, don't player servers with food.

2. Who says food will take up astronaut inventory space? And please, we carry around stacks of thousands of plates of heavy-duty armor. A month's worth of food is such a laughably small amount of space compared to a battleship's worth of hull plating that the space required is ridiculous.

3. It's not like it's gonna take up so much space on your hard drive.

4. Once again, games are nothing but a means to waste time. So the developers may use their time however they see fit.

5. Who will figure out what they're doing through tutorials or questions on the forums. That's the newbies' problem, not ours.

6. Then why are you pretending that you're building a wonderful ship when you start a virtual pixel ship in your virtual pixel shipyard in a virtual pixel game about building said virtual pixel ships?

Please, find some better reasons not to include it, or simply accept that you don't want food, and that because of config options, you will most likely not have to have food if you don't want it.

Reactions: Winterhome

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    A difference of opinion on videogame food does not need such extreme language. Just sayin'.
    Swearing adds some fucking emphasis to my points, buddy, does not necessarily mean anger, and is completely allowed by the forum rules. Just sayin'.

1. The whole GAME wastes time. Games are nothing BUT a means to waste time. If you don't like it, don't player servers with food.
    No, games are not "time wasters." They're a way to spend time doing something FUN. Food is not FUN. Food is a boring grind that adds nothing that RPing can't. Seriously, explain to me why you can't just pretend to eat food?

That's the newbies' problem, not ours.
    It's attitudes like this that lead to our absolute shit-tier new player retention.

6. Then why are you pretending that you're building a wonderful ship when you start a virtual pixel ship in your virtual pixel shipyard in a virtual pixel game about building said virtual pixel ships?
    I'm not "pretending to build a wonderful ship." I don't pretend to build a real space ship when I play this game. I build a pixel ship for use in the pixel game, because I want a pixel ship for the pixel game, not because I feel the need to RP something.

EDIT- Also, on "config options"- The default config option is almost always the one servers are running, or only slightly tweaked. I can almost entirely guarantee you that 95% of servers will have food on if it's the default, just like how 95% of servers have systems the same as default.

FlyingDebris

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Dev time, then. Food would take time that could be devoted to fixing, finishing, or adding new features that are actually useful and not irritating to the majority of players out there.

Reaction score
    Did you know that bold text and italics, perhaps even an underline or two, can add mature emphasis without the need to sound like a high school hallway?

Actually, yes, they are meant to consume time in a way that does nothing (tangibly) useful for your life or other peoples' lives. Or, at least, games like this are. Some games are used for educational purposes, but that's a different topic. Hence, time-waster. Except that yes, this is fun.

Actually, I said they'd figure it out by referencing things like wikis and our wonderful forum.

And we don't pretend we're actually eating food in Minecraft. We play survival mode Minecraft because it is a fun challenge to survive, not to gather resources with no limits and build infinitely. That's what creative mode is for.
    Oh look, SM has a creative mode too! Use that! Wow, solved your problem, didn't I? And plus you can even duel pirates and other players and whatnot. Or use that magical config option to disable everything you don't like.

@FD, well, are you sure that it's a majority? And why not add, fix, and finish the feature of food/other survival needs?

Reactions: Valck
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    If the implementation of "food" or "drink" or "ammunition" is intended to have a more SM "survival mode" and "RPG" let me put my "vision" of the current RPG Starmade:

AMMUNITION
    - All weapons are based on energy, guns do not fire "bullets", they fire pulses of concentrated energy; the beams do not use ammo, use a concentrated beam of energy "laser beam"; missiles do not use ammunition, use concentrated pulses energy tuned to the signal emitted by the enemy ship (so look for the target introduced into the missile computer)

FOOD
    - In space, with advances of converting energy into matter (StarTrek reference), it has made our spacesuits provide us with the nutrients needed to survive in space.

this is just my point of view mates :)

Reactions: Lecic

FlyingDebris

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    How about we just don't have food in a game that's about spaceships instead of surviving in the wilderness.

How about we also drop any and all parallels to minecraft, as this is a totally different game now, aside from the blocks.