Surprise Dev Update

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So with the new docking system coming up
    someything comes to my mind:
    if they are magnets, could it be possible to deactivate a magnet to which a ship is docked, and then push the ship to an other magnet using a push beam.
    will it dock again?
    logicly it would, i mean it are 2 magnets

if this isn't planned or possible
    let it be!

for those who want to know why i ask this
    i have plans for the rails in which i have my ship's turrets are switched every minute.
    without details it would be a huge box with a nice front cockpit pasted on it
    turrets on top of the box, on the side, and under it.
    then a crew of 4 people (in the best case) would help me using repair turrets located inside the box.
    then after some time, the roof will split in 2 turned and placed at the sides.
    the sides are being forced together in the bottum of the box and the bottum of the box will rise to the top
    then while the fresh turrets are fighting the oldest are being repaired by my crew.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would love to see some mining stations made using this. I'm not fan of mining ships so sad that this is currently the only one efficient way to mine :P

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    LoL, man I wanted to do a nice cinematic showing off the new turret mechanic... but this happened

They movement of the base doesn't move yet in multi-player.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    LoL, man I wanted to do a nice cinematic showing off the new turret mechanic... but this happened

That is still really freaking awesome.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    That is still really freaking awesome.
    Sadly it doesn't work with AI yet or transfer of power. From third person this system is freaking great, I thought it was completely buggered when I went to record as I wasn't looking at it from the point of view of the pilot... just thinking to myself "Great what did I break now!"

Last edited:

Master1398

Keep calm and quit raging
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3

Like i said:
    ( °.°){I want it now!) :schema:
    ( °.°)(Not now. I have to fix a lot of bugs otherwise people will comp....} :schema:

schema plz fix!!!1!!11!
    It does look awesome though.

Reaction score
    This is a feature I was looking forward to the most, and by the looks of it is being done just as I hoped it would. Once again, great job!

Finally large turrets will become aesthetically pleasing! Hopefully the turrets will draw just enough shields from the mothership to be useful without being gargantuan, and not enough to be invulnerable.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    hmm...

So after playing around with the new turret mechanics I have two thoughts...

1.) "Oh wow that's really cool" You can now get creative with the way turrets look and move.

2.) "Oh wow that looks ugly..." Every turret now needs a minimum of FIVE blocks.... This means that even your little point defense turret used for shooting down missiles is going to take up quite a bit of space...

With the soon to be "old" turret system you could have a turret that was a total of SIX blocks: core, two computers, two cannons and an AI. Takes up no space, looks ok enough and did the job.

So now you need TEN blocks in order to make a simple point defense turret.... two cores, two rail dockers, one turret rail, then the computers, cannons, and the AI... That is A LOT of blocks just to make a basic turret. Not to mention you'll need to add some extra blocks just to not make it an ugly mess.

It has always bothered me how big turrets need to be in order to be effective. Now they will need to be even bigger =/

Don't get me wrong... I am EXTREMELY excited over this update, but I can't help but feel that the current turret and docking system needs to stay in the game in one form or another... They simply allow for critical functions that simply are not possible any more under the new systems....

EDIT:

I am going to make a post some time soon with pictures showing exactly what I mean as it is a little hard to explain.

Basically turrets on small ships are going to loose functionality if you try to visually keep them the same size.

Last edited:

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    hmm...

1.) "Oh wow that's really cool" You can now get creative with the way turrets look and move.

2.) "Oh wow that looks ugly..." Every turret now needs a minimum of FIVE blocks.... This means that even your little point defense turret used for shooting down missiles is going to take up quite a bit of space...

With the soon to be "old" turret system you could have a turret that was a total of SIX blocks: core, two computers, two cannons and an AI. Takes up no space, looks ok enough and did the job.

So now you need ELEVEN blocks in order to make a simple point defense turret.... two cores, two rail dockers, one turret rail, then the computers, cannons, and the AI... That is A LOT of blocks just to make a basic turret. Not to mention you'll need to add some extra blocks just to not make it an ugly mess.

It has always bothered me how big turrets need to be in order to be effective. Now they will need to be even bigger =/

Don't get me wrong... I am EXTREMELY excited over this update, but I can't help but feel that the current turret and docking system needs to stay in the game in one form or another... They simply allow for critical functions that simply are not possible any more under the new systems....
    Sounds like you need a little bitty thing with an omnidirectional output. It would be interesting if something with an omnidirectional output and almost no damage were added to the game.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    Hummm... i think is time to implement the new turret´s schema in the real life... or not?

i really really hope the new update comming soon... i have alot of ideas in my brain ... and he need go out now ...

Oooo... and i forgot answer that...
    - In Advanced Build mode, you could add the possibility of modifying the X, Y, Z entering values using the keyboard and not a slider please? really it is very annoying ...

- And the possibility of adding a logical block "Clock" that fence 0.5 seconds to 60 seconds?

Last edited:
    Reactions: Zoli and Randomo

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    hmm...

So now you need TEN blocks in order to make a simple point defense turret.... two cores, two rail dockers, one turret rail, then the computers, cannons, and the AI... That is A LOT of blocks just to make a basic turret. Not to mention you'll need to add some extra blocks just to not make it an ugly mess.

"It has always bothered me how big turrets need to be in order to be effective." Tiny turrets, 6 or 10 blocks are meant to be anti missile only, where damage makes no difference.

Now if you want turrets to be DPS effective, then you put a 100% overdrive effect on it and you use your mothership to power it. My turrets are pretty much pure weapon blocks including overdrive, and now that the mothership will partially share its shield with turrets you need less blocks for that too. The DPS of those turrets is around 6-8 times higher than a ship equal in size. I imagine if I can dump my shields I can achieve even more DPS on the same turret.

So, now you need...4 blocks more maybe to make a working turret, but you will need 0 rechargers, 0 shield capacitors (providing your mothership isn't smaller than the turret).

Conclusion: in most cases the same turret would be a lot more effective with the new system, only for the really tiny ones DPS will take a hit. However on those it doesn't matter anyway since they are there to kill missiles.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I really really hope that using oversized turrets will come with some major drawbacks. I've heard this new docking system will make it harder for larger turrets to be efficient.

Reactions: Mered4
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    "It has always bothered me how big turrets need to be in order to be effective." Tiny turrets, 6 or 10 blocks are meant to be anti missile only, where damage makes no difference.

Now if you want turrets to be DPS effective, then you put a 100% overdrive effect on it and you use your mothership to power it. My turrets are pretty much pure weapon blocks including overdrive, and now that the mothership will partially share its shield with turrets you need less blocks for that too. The DPS of those turrets is around 6-8 times higher than a ship equal in size. I imagine if I can dump my shields I can achieve even more DPS on the same turret.

So, now you need...4 blocks more maybe to make a working turret, but you will need 0 rechargers, 0 shield capacitors (providing your mothership isn't smaller than the turret).

Conclusion: in most cases the same turret would be a lot more effective with the new system, only for the really tiny ones DPS will take a hit. However on those it doesn't matter anyway since they are there to kill missiles.
    I will edit my OP to emphasize what I intended to say, because I didn't make it clear enough.

My issues is not with DPS, it is with the minimum size of the smallest possible turret.

I spent a good 4 hours last night trying to refit some smaller ships (50 - 25 meters) with the new turrets. The issue really is with the 3 block swivel stick you need to move the turret from right to left. Mounting the swivel stick out of sight inside the ship is all well and good, but you now need 4 blocks just to mount the turret opposed to one.

I am going to make a post some time soon with pictures showing exactly what I mean as it is a little hard to explain.

Basically turrets on small ships are going to loose functionality if you try to visually keep them the same size.

That being said, I do get the new system and am not opposed to redesigning ships, but I think your going to find a lot more people complaining.

Might not be a bad idea to get out ahead of it and have some turret "workshops" to help people out.

Reaction score
    "I was not/am not complaining."
    complains anyway :p
    "You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means." -- I.M.

And, yes, I know who you are. No, I'm not intimidated. Disappointed in your behavior, yes.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    "You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means." -- I.M.

And, yes, I know who you are. No, I'm not intimidated. Disappointed in your behavior, yes.
    I guess you're using the new rail blocks to derail the topic?

Reaction score
    I guess you're using the new rail blocks to derail the topic?
    No, I'm scolding someone else for doing that. Someone who, with a degree of "fame", should realize that his comments are held to a higher standard. But I wasn't counting on the humor and subtlety to fully deliver the message.
    My apology if your sensibilities have been offended.

But, wait -- was there a topic here? I was still busy complaining...

Reactions: Keptick