Super-rare resources and exceptional equipment

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    This thread got me thinking: http://starmadedock.net/threads/une...-and-density-getting-the-wheels-turning.6425/

Now playing off that idea, I want to suggest some extra resources that are extremely scarce. Such ores/crystals might only be found in a single cluster of 1 - 5 systems per galaxy. You'll live fine without them, but if you are able to locate, trade, or steal some, you will gain access to some exceptional equipment that is far better than standard. To be balanced, I think we need at least 5 - 10 such pairs of resources and equipment, and they would be scattered across the galaxy so it would be rare for a single faction to control all of them. Each faction would likely have access to one or two such resources, giving them certain unique advantages. Finally, access to and control over these resources would help build a natural economy and interfaction conflict.

Here are some examples for exceptional equipment. I'm sure those of you with more playtime than me can comment on these and provide additional ideas.
    • A resource that allows you to build advanced jump drive modules which have far greater range than the standard ones, on the order of 1/4 of the galaxy's diameter per jump.
    • A resource allowing you to build advanced shield rechargers which provide twice the recharge rate for the same amount of power.
    • A resource allowing you to build a higher grade of armor or shield which is nearly impervious to solar heat (would not protect you if you touch the star).
    • A resource to build an advanced cloaker which is twice as efficient, allowing you to cloak larger vessels.
    • A resource to build some kind of advanced scanner or radar which allows you to locate enemy vessels from a sector away.
    • A resource to build an advanced ore scanner which shows you what resources are available in your current system.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Andem and Snk

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I don't like the idea of rare, expensive, powerful blocks, because some yahoo is going to get a hold of enough of them to build a titan out of super-blocks, and then everyone else on the server is fucked.

A resource that allows you to build advanced jump drive modules which have far greater range than the standard ones, on the order of 1/4 of the galaxy's diameter per jump.
    Well, we ARE getting Hyperdrives at some point, which are basically the same thing as this.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I agree with the idea of rare resources to create strategic locations in faction wars and promote player economy and warp-networks and exploration. Yes, yes, yes.

However, Lecic is right about how the OP's system can eventually create juggernaughts that would rule a server.

Depending on what your underlying goal is:
    1. These resources are just for trade. Sell them to shops for boat-loads of credits, but this is limited by the speed at which the shops restock credits and sell the trade good. Selling them to other players - who live far away from the area - means they can get money from shops you haven't visited. And, of course, it is a one-way system; you can't buy the ores for this at shops.

-or-

2. The resources create a 1-block-per-structure module, like how a faction block works. These blocks give a % bonus to some ship system - 2, 3, or 5%. You can only have one of each type of module, so the best possible ship has +10% energy, +10% shield, +10% range, etc. This preserves the combat-focus of the game, but doesn't allow for juggernauts built entirely of rare resources. It also allows a faction to utilize the resource but still have a desire to trade it because they won't be able to use 10,000 such modules very quickly.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    2. The resources create a 1-block-per-structure module, like how a faction block works. These blocks give a % bonus to some ship system - 2, 3, or 5%. You can only have one of each type of module, so the best possible ship has +10% energy, +10% shield, +10% range, etc. This preserves the combat-focus of the game, but doesn't allow for juggernauts built entirely of rare resources. It also allows a faction to utilize the resource but still have a desire to trade it because they won't be able to use 10,000 such modules very quickly.
    I like this suggestion. These should be nice bonuses to a ship, but not used to make overpowered starships of doom that are undefeatable by players or factions without access to the proposed rare resources.

Reactions: whooplaah

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    What's wrong with juggernauts that overrun servers?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    What's wrong with juggernauts that overrun servers?
    I mean, if you like playing with nigh-insurmountable odds, then go right ahead. But I don't think that should be the default for the game.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I mean, if you like playing with nigh-insurmountable odds, then go right ahead. But I don't think that should be the default for the game.
    Different play styles, I guess. Personally, I think that everyone should experience a reign of terror once in a while. It's good for you.

Reaction score
    Different play styles, I guess. Personally, I think that everyone should experience a reign of terror once in a while. It's good for you.
    LOL, true but maybe this wouldn't be a temporary reign of terror if they have a whole Titan ship with these things.

Reaction score
    1. Maybe the should be found very rarely in storage crates on NPC ships, but would despawn almost instantly (10 or so seconds). this would allow all players to have a chance of finding the resources, instead of the players with massive mining ships being able to take them all and force new players to travel several systems or even galaxies. older players would still have an easier time getting these resources due to better ships, but once new players are also capable of destroying the NPC ships, they would be equally likely to obtain these resources with a moderately sized fighter as some one with a titan (in fact, they might be more likely because their weapons wouldn't destroy half the ship in taking it out).

2. Build high diminishing returns into the super blocks, based on the number. once you have so many blocks, each additional block would have almost no additional benefit. the total benefit would then be scaled based on the ships mass. for instance, one module has a benefit of 100, the second block only has 90, the third has a benefit of 83, and so on until at some number (say 100), the modules don't increase the benefit. the total benefit would be divided by a number, and used in the calculation instead of the actual number of modules on the ship. this would prevent a titan from being built entirely of the super blocks, and would encourage players to use these resources for smaller fighters and exploration ships.

Reactions: Andem
    Reaction score
    They are good for you.Where would we be today if everybody just sat around and cried to the gods to nerf Hitler? A player going on a reign of terror is sure to cause an uproar on servers. people would be forced to band together to try and fend them off. the best thing about old games is there difficulty. this would bring that old-school difficulty to starmade, something i would really enjoy.

Reaction score
    Not necessarily. something in common with all reigns of terror or overpowering force is that they all collapse under their own weight. it's difficult for a while, until you learn to overpower it with skill. making a system like this is game development done right, IMO.

Reaction score
    I did now. And now that I think about it, it's true.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Playing on the idea that large organizations could/should implode under thier own weight: What if end game highly rare materials required constant faction points?

This could play out in many ways, but it would likley put a price on your factions figurative head when others found out.

Reactions: Andem
    Reaction score
    Playing on the idea that large organizations could/should implode under thier own weight: What if end game highly rare materials required constant faction points?

This could play out in many ways, but it would likley put a price on your factions figurative head when others found out.
    That would definitely work functionally, and I am definitely on board with that. I will say however that I intended a more social aspect, bringing server communities closer together by uniting them to take down a large threat that this could provide.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    That would definitely work functionally, and I am definitely on board with that. I will say however that I intended a more social aspect, bringing server communities closer together by uniting them to take down a large threat that this could provide.
    It would still do that. If the faction cost is high enough you just do whatever you can to reduce the faction points they generate. Possibly and likely taking small amounts of territory.

Reaction score
    It would still do that. If the faction cost is high enough you just do whatever you can to reduce the faction points they generate. Possibly and likely taking small amounts of territory.
    True. It is highly unlikely that someone could just crop up with a (nearly) unbeatable super army and take everything over. little buffs do wonders in these situations...:)