Suiciding Penalty

Should suiciding come with more penalties ?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    Reaction score
    If you put somebody in a difficult situation, i. e. you capture somebody inside your ship or putting up a fight they likely will lose, I noticed quite some situations where people immediately suicide, taking away all possible interaction that could have happened with this player.

What you will drop on death, % of credits, inventory items, toolbelt, varies between server to server but as far as I know, there is no seperate setting defining what people drop on suicide. If the penalty is low or non existant, the suicide button works as a "teleport home" button, which should not be the case IMO.

I suggest
    a) A seperate penalty on suicide that is default put to "drop everything" but can be changed in the server settings to discourage hasty use of the suiciding.
    b ) A timer on suicide in the same fashion a lot of other games handle logging out of combat ( known as "combat logging" in other games ) where as you must not take damage, not move, not undertake any action in the next 15 ( or other ) seconds or the suicide timer will be reset.

I am aware that somebody who suicides will leave their ships in open space but again, people who travel with a practically worthless piece of junk through space will not count that as a penalty and you will never be able to kill the person, therefore never having a chance to get the credits/blocks he is carrying, which in turn makes engaging that player pointless alltogether.

Edit:

In order to eliminate the need for suiciding when you are phasing inside of a construction that cannot be mined, permanently enable the unstuck command with the uparrow key with a cooldown of x seconds.

Last edited:

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    You forget that there are real instances where suicide button is the only means of being able to leave and actually play.

Reaction score
    You forget that there are real instances where suicide button is the only means of being able to leave and actually play.
    If you are stuck in something you use
    - upkey to unstuck
    - "o" to sit on a nearby block then "unsit" to move freely again
    - mining yourself out of where you are trapped

Additionally, even if those would not work and you really had to suicide, the penalty is already there, I am not suggesting to remove suicide alltogether. If you really are in a situation where you cant use any of the above though, you are most likely in a situation where suiciding just acts as a cheap "teleport home" button which I cannot imagine was its intention in the first place.

Otherwise please present an example where suicide is the only mean of continuing to play without using other legitimate means.

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    If you are stuck in something you use
    - upkey to unstuck
    - "o" to sit on a nearby block then "unsit" to move freely again
    - mining yourself out of where you are trapped

Additionally, even if those would not work and you really had to suicide, the penalty is already there, I am not suggesting to remove suicide alltogether. If you really are in a situation where you cant use any of the above though, you are most likely in a situation where suiciding just acts as a cheap "teleport home" button which I cannot imagine was its intention in the first place.

Otherwise please present an example where suicide is the only mean of continuing to play without using other legitimate means.
    The intention of a suicide button in many game cases is when you get stuck in a place where you cannot get out.

Reaction score
    The intention of a suicide button in many game cases is when you get stuck in a place where you cannot get out.
    The intention of the suicide button is clear to me, however it is also clear to me that the suicide button can be used to avoid instances in the game that you should be confronted with intentionally.

Can you provide a situation where "you get stuck in a place where you cannot get out" that cannot be overcome by the gameplay mechanics I listed above ?

Edit: To clarify, my point of view is, if you get yourself caught in a situation where seemingly suicide is the only option, you messed up and it could have been avoided on your side. Therefore I see a penatly for using it fit to prevent it from being abused.

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    A factioned structure such as a server spawn.

Reaction score
    If you spawn in a factioned structure and hit the suicide button, you will spawn there again. Not helping at all. Could you maybe be a bit more elaborative ?

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I've had several cases where I would phase through the floor of a structure and be unable to escape since it's factioned and none of the factions members are online.

Reaction score
    Thats indeed a valid point, allthough I could always get my self out by sitting on something close, placing a core and entering it etc. How about enabling the unstuck command with upkey permanently with an x second cooldown ?

The main thing I would like to see disappear is the fact that suiciding can be used as a cheap "bail out" button, which we can all agree on I guess is the case in its current implementation.

OP updated

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I was once riding a factioned ship of another faction. Allignment failed and I flew back, and then into the meat of the ship due to horrible clipping issues. The only reason I got out was because he kept moving and I eventually clipped out iirc, but yeah. There are cases where that is useful, like maybe falling into a planet on spawning as well.

Reaction score
    I fail to understand the issue with suicide, If you were to kill the person, literally nothing would have changed. They would have died, lost money and teleported back to spawn, Similarly if they suicided, they would have died, lost money and teleported back to spawn, Only sooner than actually dying. Which I am assuming your issue is PvP related.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If you put somebody in a difficult situation, i. e. you capture somebody inside your ship or putting up a fight they likely will lose, I noticed quite some situations where people immediately suicide, taking away all possible interaction that could have happened with this player.

What you will drop on death, % of credits, inventory items, toolbelt, varies between server to server but as far as I know, there is no seperate setting defining what people drop on suicide. If the penalty is low or non existant, the suicide button works as a "teleport home" button, which should not be the case IMO.

I suggest
    a) A seperate penalty on suicide that is default put to "drop everything" but can be changed in the server settings to discourage hasty use of the suiciding.
    b ) A timer on suicide in the same fashion a lot of other games handle logging out of combat ( known as "combat logging" in other games ) where as you must not take damage, not move, not undertake any action in the next 15 ( or other ) seconds or the suicide timer will be reset.

I am aware that somebody who suicides will leave their ships in open space but again, people who travel with a practically worthless piece of junk through space will not count that as a penalty and you will never be able to kill the person, therefore never having a chance to get the credits/blocks he is carrying, which in turn makes engaging that player pointless alltogether.

Edit:

In order to eliminate the need for suiciding when you are phasing inside of a construction that cannot be mined, permanently enable the unstuck command with the uparrow key with a cooldown of x seconds.
    Im sorry but this is o0ne of the most stupid ideas i've heard the use of suicide is necessary i've seen trolls capturing people and never letting them go if suicide cost them everything what would be the point of playing what if you lost everything i have had times where i have had all my resources have been on me and got stuck to the point i could not do anything to get out i once played on a server where you lost everything it was horrible i lost everything quite often suicide should stay the same as it is

Reaction score
    I fail to understand the issue with suicide, If you were to kill the person, literally nothing would have changed. They would have died, lost money and teleported back to spawn, Similarly if they suicided, they would have died, lost money and teleported back to spawn, Only sooner than actually dying. Which I am assuming your issue is PvP related.
    I am beginning to think that my experiences with looting may have been custom server settings on the servers I played. From what I have experienced, when I kill somebody I get a portion of his credits immediately transfered to my inventory. When somebody suicides, he will lose a portion of his credits but not actually dropping them.

I usually play online not SP, so I cant tell what the default setting are but it dawns on me that that what I described is not standard. So now you may understand may suggestion.

Im sorry but this is o0ne of the most stupid ideas i've heard the use of suicide is necessary i've seen trolls capturing people and never letting them go if suicide cost them everything what would be the point of playing
    That is exactly one of the points I mean when I call suiciding a bail out button. You may find it stupid to lose all your stuff when suiciding, I on the other hand would have to call someone stupid to get caught by another player and then complaining that he cannot simply teleport away with no penalty.

Last edited:
    Reactions: killerdude8
    Reaction score
    That does sound like a server thing, in which case you should get ahole of the server owner and ask them about modifying it to included a more serious suicide penalty.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    No. If anything, you should be glad someone suicided to get away from fighting you, because you'll be able to get more salvage out of their ship since you didn't need to kill them for it.

i've seen trolls capturing people and never letting them go

Sometimes it's fun to capture newbs in a box at spawn for a few minutes and then let them go. Permanently trapping them is pretty dickish, though.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    From what I have experienced, when I kill somebody I get a portion of his credits immediately transfered to my inventory.
    That is a mod that extremely few servers use. I have not once experienced a server that does that, and I server hop a *lot*

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Lets see Suicide Button is mainly used by me and others for:
    1. Getting out of being phased inside objects.
    2. Getting Unstuck when the Unstick feature fails hard (Which happens often enough to make me want to tie someone to a computer until it is fixed)
    3. Being Stuck inside Faction Home Base Protected things.
    4. Stuck inside planet Cores (Yes I had this happen)
    5. Stuck inside a star inside a slowly roasting ship. (Not needed but came back later to save what was left of the ship, trust me it was Well Done)
    6. Troll Prisons: Those lovely things that will have you singing a very different tone if you get stuck in them.

This list could go on but these are the ones I've ran into.

Reactions: Winterhome
    Reaction score
    I see. It appears player clipping is not stable enough ( yet ) to allow for giving up its suicide function in form of a last-resort-unstuck-button. Thanks for the input everyone.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    If the suicide button is removed people who get stuck are royally F****** and anyone who wants to escape without giving you the satisfaction of killing them by your own hands can just have a logic activated weapon to kill them on their own ship.

This suggestion would solve nothing, if a player can kill someone else they can kill them selves.

Reactions: Winterhome