Suggestions for future updates

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hello, i'm kyle. Let me start by saying that I adore starmade and I would play it over minecraft any day of the week. That being said there are a few things that I find could use improvement, and a few things that should be added. I understand that starmade is in alpha and that is why I think it would be so easy to add these things now rather than later. Obviously there are imperfections in it's early stage but I keep seeing bugs being fixed and ugly textures being replaced. You guys are on the ball when it comes to updates! So here are a few ideas for some future updates that might make the game even better.

Short term projects

Balance the shop.
    The buying and selling prices are way whacked out. People can get half a billion credits from one pirate space station and those things are so easy with their terrible AI and no ships to guard them. I think that the selling prices of most objects should be massively reduced to stop people from mega looting and getting supremely rich.

Better gui
    The fact of the matter is that when you are flying your ship in the cockpit you have no idea whats going on with your hull. You simply cant see it. I think that there should be a better gui while in flight so that pilots can monitor what is happening to their hull, perhaps a block count that goes down for each block destroyed. Or maybe even a percentage on screen of how much damage has been done to systems (percentage would be based on block count of the system i.e. thrusters, weapons, missiles, lasers, etc.)

More micro management.
    I think the current system of power generation and power delegation is a little bit simple It works fine for the most part but sometimes, for smaller ships, it would be nice to be able to customize system outputs on-the-spot during flight. I think that, during flight, a whole new menu should be available for power management. We can keep the current system of generating power and setting up weapons systems but pilots should be able to direct the flow of power from a couple systems and focus it on one to give it a temporary stat boost (possibly in the form of more percentage points on the weapons system customization screen, but automatically given out equally or something).

Optional catalogue.
    This may be a personal opinion but i'm sharing it anyways. I hate the catalogue. I can't stand it when people get billions of credits and buy a massively overpowered ship off the forums. It's another form of plagiarism in my eyes. Most of the time these people buy huge ships because they either know nothing about ship design or they are lazy and don't feel like designing their own. The catalogue takes away from the whole point of the game! I understand some people love the catalogue and want it to stay so all i'm asking is that you create a console command to disable the catalogue on a server. That way admins like me can disable it on their servers.

The faction home problem.
    It's not a secret that starmade is a heavily pvp based game, I mean, what good are guns if you have no one to shoot them at. And please don't say pirates because it's obvious they were in the wrong line when they were handing out brains. Players want to fight people with minds of their own, so that its a challenge. One of the most fun parts of the game is having a faction declare war on you and then annihilating them (don't lie we've all done it and it's fun as heck). But when a faction puts a faction module on their planet it makes it impossible to launch a full scale invasion (and if they hide it well it becomes impossible to destroy them). This may be seen as protecting people's hard work but come on, if they were smart they would have built better defenses and they would not have declared war unless they were ready for anything. I think at faction modules should not completely protect a base, and trust me when I say that people will adapt to the change.

Planets
    Not a huge problem here but i think planets should be much much bigger and they should be few and far between. There are simply too many planets. If planets were more rare, people would value them more and want to live on them more. Not to mention that people would battle for them more or even buy them from planet brokers.

Long term projects

Civilizations.
    This is going to be a ton of work I know but don't write it off too soon, just hear me out. If you've ever played games like endless space, master of orion or even mount and blade you'll know what I mean when I say that having people populate a gigantic, explorable area is essential to making a good free roam game. Look at games like fall out or skyrim. They've won awards for gameplay but most people agree with me on this: it's really lonely. And nobody wants to feel alone in the universe. I propose that other races are made, not necessarily alien races but maybe just giant factions of humans. Imagine if new world generation was added so that some planets sometimes spawned with pre-built cities or military bases. Imagine if some were hostile like the pirates and some were not. Imagine if you could buy and sell from them or complete missions for them to gain their trust. And what if you could alliance with them so that your enemies are their enemies? Maybe instead of these being self contained civilizations on one planet, they are a race of aliens across multiple planets or even star systems. Maybe you could help them colonize new planets by putting faction modules on them. Maybe they have a certain expertise at building certain parts and could sell you certain items for cheap. There is SO MUCH you could do with that idea. The wonderful thing about starmade is that it is possible to do these things. There is so much room for change, it's awesome! You could take anything I just said and use it in any combination. The possibilities are endless. So I urge you to please look into it. You would get a lot of positive feedback :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I agree with everything this guy says. But we should also add some saved presets so we dont lose all our customization that we spent so long on setting it to make the perfect weapon.

But the ship catalog should stay on, just limit the amount of blocks that we can put on a ship if we want it to make the catalog, so it wouldnt be massively OP.

Other than that I completely agree with this article

-AsianGamer

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I love the civilization idea. Here is an excerpt from a post I made earlier.

\"Civilization Technology Levels: This is just an idea, there probably is a better way

Level 1- Barbaric, populations live in a few small scattered villages, not capable of space travel, primitive weapons

Level 2- Primitive, small villages and towns, perhaps something like renaissance era weapons, no space travel

Level 3- Modern, small towns and one large capital city, small turrets and modern weapons, only capable of trade space travel (no weapons on ships). A bank is located on these planets.

Level 4- Advanced, some towns and a few cities (still one capital), small-medium turrets and a small station orbitting planet, space travel capable (trade ships and small-medium fighters). A bank and shop is located on these planets.

Level 5- Highly Advanced, some cities and a capital, a variety of turrets in strategic locations, may conquer nearby planets (or already own), station orbitting home planet, bank and shop located here, capable of space travel (trade ships, fighters, and one or two frigates).\"

Maybe there should be another level between primitive and modern, but I think something along these lines would make starmade much more interesting.

Bank= Put your credits in, access from any bank, credits safe in bank

Also perhaps some level 4 and up have factories on them.

Just food for thought.

Also, planets should vary in sizes, and civilizations should only be able to exist on planets that are big enough.

Maybe a single AI faction has multiple planets under its realm, and higher level factions have orbital defenses and such

Reaction score
    I love the civilizations idea, but it would take a while to implement.

what I really like and could be done more easily (and I think Schema might be doing) is an overhaul of the power system so portions of power need to be allocated to different systems. These would of course be changeable on the fly, so you could change from all engines to weapons and shields during a battle. The other thing that this would do is force pilots to prioritize on the most important systems in their ship, rather than have everything going full blast at the same time.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    These points are very interesting. I too would love civilization, better energy systems and the planets are far too many and far too small.

It would make for enhanced gameplay if these were implimented.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thanks everyone for commenting. I totally understand that civilization will take forever for schema to do so I\'m not going to rush him. But an overhaul of the entier combat system would be fantastic and doable very quickly. If you want to know exactly what I think should happen, just read calbiri\'s post on \"Fighting Gigantism in Starmade.\" If schema does what he says, starmade would be a level playing field for all combatants and the winning fighters would be determined by tatics, ship design, and skill. Not brute force and sheer amout of guns (i\'m looking at you nexus).

Reaction score
    There\'s an easy way to balance the catalog that I\'ve talked about in other posts. Anyway, all you\'d need to do would be to require that all of the blocks necessary for building the ship be in your inventory and using those parts to build the ship instead of credits. Suddenly building even a cataloged ship is a considerably more challenging prospect and as an added bonus it takes care of the idiots spamming free BSGs everywhere.

No construction materials, no ship. No ship components, no ship. Simple as that.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I agree with most of the suggestions, especially trying to balance the shop.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    A very good idea skulltaker! But I believe that something simular to warp drives is being added in a future update. But what do you mean by phasers?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Optional Catalogue: As morrigi said, just make it a requirement that you have the materials to build the ship

The faction home problem: I believe the general idea of the faction home option, right now, is that it gives you a place to fall back on. Since some people don\'t have the time to play constantly, it would suck to have their work destroyed while they were offline. I find this a little questionable, but it seems reasonable enough and I can find no good alternative to it. Otherwise, faction modules are fine.

Not sure I quite understand what you\'re asking for on the more micromanagement section, I disagree with the planets idea (I don\'t feel the planets need to be rare, and considering how hard it is to get to one already...), and on all the others I agree.

Reaction score
    I agree with most things. What I don\'t agree with is the planets, it would make your civilavations idea very hard to work with, while also making exploration boring.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    A very good point is being made here. The planets being rare might be s problem for some people. I can see what you mean after looking for an ice planet for a long time. But i think there is a little confusion as to what I mean. I do not mind planets being numerous and easy to locate. What I detest is when i see 5 or 6 planets right next each other in a clump. So if we are going to be scientifically accurate then all these planets are too close together. Their gravity wells would collide and they would crash into each other making one giant ball of rock. If this were what happened when the game engine places the planets too close together I would have no qualms. But since it isn\'t i\'d like the planets to be spaced out more or, at least, the world gen fixed so this doesn\'t happen anymore. And to MrNo, what I mean is that I want to be able to focus all my ships energy and attention to specific system in case it is badly needed. For example, if you were being attacked by pirates and they surprised you. Your sheilds are down and you don\'t have time to get a bead on any of them before they destroy your ship. In this situation, wouldn\'t it be nice to be able to tell your ship to stop worrying about thrusters and guns an cloaking and just focus on getting those sheilds back up ASAP? I thought of this because emergency situations are always happening but there is rarely anything you can do if you are outnumbered. This would allow you to win a battle where the odds aren\'t stacked in your favor by using battle tactis rather that brute force.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Balance the shop.

I actually did a single post for this, and spent hours crunchin the numbers, and formulating a way to balance the shop vry easily

http://star-made.org/content/broken-manufacturing-economy

Optional catalogue.

I would actually sugest a different approach. How about when purchasing a from a catalog instead of just spawning, it starts a build. You need to bring all the required resources to that shop for the build to complete and the ship to spawn?

The faction home problem.

I personally dont have a problem with this. Just means that the fight will be harder to win. those who settle a planet have a better chance of surviving. And so it should be. in RL what would be easier to wipe out, a planet or a station? BB missiles work well

Planets

agree with everything on this topic

Civilizations.

This would be very nice

Reaction score
    I think some of your ideas are nice but some arent. The catalog is a nice thing. that way if you build a cool ship you cant have it destroyed forever but you can save up for a new one. I like the plannet size how it is and i agree it could be a little bigger but if its huge it can drop your framerate like a rock. And on a server you arent going to want to travel for an hour just to find a plannet for a faction base.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yes, a lot of people misunderstand my stance on the catalogue. I love the saving your ship feature but I hate how lazy jerks go raid a pirate base and get billions of credits (this is actually the shops fault) to buy a overpowered ship that they spent no time building and no effort designing. It\'s cheating.

So there are a couple ways to tackle the catalogue problem. We could require that the parts for the ship be preasent when buying. We could remove the catalogue and have an option where, at any time during the construction of your ship, you can make a blueprint of it (it can only be made once so do it when ready. It can be tradable but trading blueprints would have to be limited). We can also fix the econamy which will make a lot harder to get the 3 billion credits (arbitrary number) needed to buy a nexus or a deadelus. We can also do balance the combat system for large ships (read calibri\'s article on fiting gigantism, it\'s astounding).

So my stance is this: I hate the catalogue in it\'s current state. I have no preferred way to fix it, I just want it fixed. And about the faction home, I totally understand what you mean and I agree that a challenging fight is a good one. But i have had several instances where it was impossible to fight the planet because the faction block was inside the planet, therefore we could not destroy it and their base was invincible. This is a pvp game and nothing should be invincible, if you want to keep your base safe then move it farther away so people don\'t find it! Use some common sense for goodness sake XD. People always complain to me that their bases are getting destroyed and they don\'t know what to do. Here\'s how to fix all these problems at once: just use your brain :p don\'t put a giant space station 2 sectors away from spawn, it\'s a bad idea! If faction homes weren\'t indestructable then people would be a lot more cautious about where they make their base.

The real underlying issue I have with starmade itself is that, for a game about creativity, there a lot of things that let you not have to think at all. There are too many crutches, if your ship keeps getting destroyed the design it better, do some reseaerch. I\'m not saying this to sound mean and I know that there are a lot of noobs who don\'t know what they are doing. But honestly, the best teaching tool the creators could use it to throw them into a situation where they are forced to think quickly and efficiently or they are going to die, necessity is the mother of invention. The noobs will learn from mistakes but if you give them a crutch so they have no mistakes then how are they going to learn anything? I guess this is just me ranting again but comment if you agree.

Reaction score
    I have an idea to prevent lazy folk buying huge ships from online. I say that perhaps the catalog should be split in two, one half for local creations and the other for downloaded ones (hehe as a safeguard to prevent loading from download and saving local how about anything that is loaded from download will always save to download). Then only enable loading from local on servers, meaning they can still buy huge ships with billions, but they actually gotta make em first rather than effectively relying on slave labor of other people. Maybe some limitations on size can be used (very delicate thing, try not to limit TOO much) and if someone wants to push this limit they gotta team up effectively uping the limit on size. The rest I pretty much agree with.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hey add

black holes

worm station

landing gear

Hover stuff

different type of plants so more less gravity

bigger plants

more mobs

auto pilot