Suggestion - Scanners (No not those ones)

Basic question, should this feature be in the game?

• Yes, Jes, Ja, Да, HIja'

Votes: 7 100.0%
    • No, Neniu, Nein, Нет, Qo'

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Hello, I am Blakpik. I am kinda new here so I am hoping that there is no suggestion formatting I missed.

Overview:
    My suggestion is for computer thing that is functionally similar to a scanner. But instead of scanning the space around you it scans a ship or a station or a planet, thus giving you data on the structure's stats, weaponry, computers, factories etc. as well as maybe a diagram (similar to the Master Systems Display from Star Trek, see here: https://img1.etsystatic.com/043/1/8839179/il_570xN.529938973_89pf.jpg ). This information can then be uploaded to a database where you can compile all your intel on ships, this would make stealth ships more worth while and actually allow for serious espionage.

Usage:
    It should be constructed similar to scanners, a computer and module blocks. However, to scan a ship / Station / Planet etc. you must put your reticule on the thing you wish to scan (like lock on), the scanning takes a while (and takes longer for larger / more complex structures) and for the time that you are scanning you can not use other weapons. if you lose lock or switch to a different item on your hotbar you get an incomplete scan (which contains incomplete pictures / statistical errors and generally corrupted data.)

If you have any questions or suggestions for improving this suggestion, do feel free to post them here and I will endeavour to address them, accordingly.

Last edited:
    Reactions: mgwerner and jath

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think this would be an excellent secondary effect of the existing scanner system. Generally, when you have a target locked in your reticle, you aren't all that interested in the surrounding space, just that target.

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I think this would be an excellent secondary effect of the existing scanner system. Generally, when you have a target locked in your reticle, you aren't all that interested in the surrounding space, just that target.
    True. That would make sense, but then you would need a way of preventing yourself from locking on accidentally when you want to just scan space. Maybe a way to toggle the lock-on system on and off?

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    True. That would make sense, but then you would need a way of preventing yourself from locking on accidentally when you want to just scan space. Maybe a way to toggle the lock-on system on and off?
    This would be a very minor annoyance at its worst and shouldn't give the player much trouble. If you are in a smaller ship, just turn slightly away from your target for a moment to start the scan of surrounding space. If you are in something that doesn't turn so easily, target something else temporarily, initiate the long-range scan, and then lock back onto your focused (under the reticle) target again. You'll lose a missile lock if you have one, but generally if you want to get a long range scan, you probably aren't in the middle of a battle.

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    This would be a very minor annoyance at its worst and shouldn't give the player much trouble. If you are in a smaller ship, just turn slightly away from your target for a moment to start the scan of surrounding space. If you are in something that doesn't turn so easily, target something else temporarily, initiate the long-range scan, and then lock back onto your focused (under the reticle) target again. You'll lose a missile lock if you have one, but generally if you want to get a long range scan, you probably aren't in the middle of a battle.
    Or could be done with right click f it gets real bad. We'll have to wait to see if it is added to see what will be an issue.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    HIja'! Or, as we Aethi say... Na'ii! I fully support this; it sounds great and we've needed something like this for a while.

Reactions: Krutzelpuntz
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Scanners are similar to the weapons, so why not make this an option by cross connecting with other systems? Like if a scanner is connected with a punch system, than it can determine ore content, if its connected with a shield drain, than it can determine a rough location for a jammer.

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Scanners are similar to the weapons, so why not make this an option by cross connecting with other systems? Like if a scanner is connected with a punch system, than it can determine ore content, if its connected with a shield drain, than it can determine a rough location for a jammer.
    That is a good idea.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    That's actually an amazing idea. You might want to expand on that and turn it into its own suggestion thread.

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    That's actually an amazing idea. You might want to expand on that and turn it into its own suggestion thread.
    If you do put it into a separate thread I will link it on the original post on this one if you want.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think its better for the devs not to spam threads everywhere. Hopefully they will read this thread. Though honestly, i sort of feel that this was what they were going for anyway. This is still in very early alpha.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yes, the advanced informational contraptions we've all been waiting for! I'd also like to see mineral analyses for asteroids and planet segments.
    Or could be done with right click f it gets real bad.
    Why not just do that anyway?

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Yes, the advanced informational contraptions we've all been waiting for! I'd also like to see mineral analyses for asteroids and planet segments.

Why not just do that anyway?
    Fair enough. We were just brainstorming ideas for execution. :)