Subsystems Targeting

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Apologies if this is posted already. I looked but didn't see it.

I propose that we allow for the targeting of subsystems. This would allow a player to target a weapons computer on a ship in order to knock it out.

I would also propose other subsystems. I think we should have a shields system, an engineering core for thrusters, and possibly some others. This would mean that a ship could be disabled instead of destroyed. It's a race to get back to a ship before the core overheats sometimes, especially if you're fighting off several other ships. Right now the core overheats and begins destroying parts of the ship, valuable parts....

I think by taking subsystems offline, maybe not even destroyed, and causing the player to fix them before proceeding, it owuld add a lot of strategy to the game and be something to look forward to when we can incorporate crews into our ships.

Reaction score
    This has sort of been suggested before, though it wasn\'t as clear as this. It would be great, but pointless, cause you could only take the subsystems out when the shields are down, which you could just shoot the core and be done with it all. However, if there was something that went through shields, then, well, yeah, might be a good idea. I like it personally, but wether it is worth putting in, is hard to tell.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    My problem was that when you destroy the core you risk destroying the ship altogether or at the very least severely damaging the ship if the core is buried deeply enough. While this could be the same issue with these other subsystems being buried, you wouldn\'t have to wrry about the entire ship going up if you took to long to dispatch any other ships in the area.

Reaction score
    http://star-made.org/content/comprehensive-starmade-suggestion

Already tackled this issue head one with an army of linebackers

Reaction score
    Nobody should be required to sift through monstrous wishlist posts , those can and should be ignored. In fact , a forum search of \"subsystems targeting\" doesn\'t reference the thread in question.

Subsystem targeting can almost work as a replacement for coring , but it can be fully countered with excessive redundancy (spam weapon computers all over your ship) at a very small mass cost for capital ships , while stealth fighters would suffer greatly.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    That\'s a very important point.

I would counter that most capital ships would realisticly (can we use that word speaking on theoretical sci-fi topics?) contain multiple instances of computers. Also, if cores have to be tied to systems, as we have now with weapons, and can only be tied to one system, then I think it would still be quite viable.

Lastly, if someone were to spam unused computers in order to mask their active computers, well, you could still always core the ship. Then if becomes a matter of deciding if hitting each subsystem is beneficial to the aggressor. Right now, you could do this (minimally), but you have to guess where the weapons system is and destroy each thruster and each shield block.

I think subsysteming could also be good to add to turret targetting. You could tell your turrets to only target subsystems.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Lastly, if someone were to spam unused computers in order to mask their active computers,

Maybe you are able to cripple the weapon systems to cut their range and beat your enemy with superior range too. You don\'t need to attack the computer.

But with over 3k range on 10^3 AMC blocks, I guess we need bigger sectors or another weapon calcluations first.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    EMP Weapons that did nothing to hull, but would weaken and eventually disable systems or blocks connected to systems that it could hit. Doing less damage to linked blocks, but knocking down the whole system in one or two shots if it could hit the controller. Shields computers, engine computers, and power breakers would need to be added, obviously. The EMP could have a wide radius, to allow for some hull penetration. Maybe 6-8 block sphere around the impact point? This would make very thick hulls needed to avoid EMPs, which would make them more useful, as well.