Stutter Issues

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I've got a strange stuttering issue, seemingly under all different settings and situations. I've tested with almost completely maxed settings, very low settings, and in populated and totally void sectors. No matter what I do I get a half second stutter fairly periodically.

PC specs
    Monitor: 60hz refresh
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.8GHz
    GPU: GTX 970
    RAM: 16gb (a max of 5gb initial and 8gb max that I allocate to the game)

My thoughts are, depending on how CPU intensive this game is, my CPU is the weak link. Rather, I thought so until I realized of the games I tested, only SM seems to give me this problem. I've basically exhausted all troubleshooting methods on external factors like GPU drivers and such, and to an extent in game. Can anyone provide a little insight in where I should go from here? (aside from ponying up for a new CPU)

Reaction score
    • Tester
    Make sure you are running 64bit Java
    Take a look at the Memory settings in launcher under options, maybe increase them to something x1024
    Are you running in singleplayer or multiplayer? if only in MP try to connect to a server with good ping.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hmm, it depends what you call stutter. I've had the experience that in some parts of space when flying the view suddenly jumps position slightly. I also had a targeted pirate that was in my front view more then once suddenly jump to a side in one frame, very noticeable because of the target arrow.
    Personally I don't think this is stuttering due to CPU overload, but a subtle math error in the generation of the universe and or pirate AI...

Fwiw, my experiences are in single-player mode.

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Make sure you are running 64bit Java
    Take a look at the Memory settings in launcher under options, maybe increase them to something x1024
    Are you running in singleplayer or multiplayer? if only in MP try to connect to a server with good ping.
    Yes to 64 bit Java.
    Yes to memory. I should have mentioned I specifically set 8129, 5120, 2048 MB.
    Singleplayer and multiplayer. Multiplayer being run off of my own PC with only one other friend of mine.

Hmm, it depends what you call stutter. I've had the experience that in some parts of space when flying the view suddenly jumps position slightly. I also had a targeted pirate that was in my front view more then once suddenly jump to a side in one frame, very noticeable because of the target arrow.
    Personally I don't think this is stuttering due to CPU overload, but a subtle math error in the generation of the universe and or pirate AI...
    This is what I'm experiencing. It's not fast frequent stuttering, but a momentary stutter that happens maybe once every 1 to 2 minutes or so.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Every one to two minutes is quite often. My experience is much more sporadic and probably very location dependent.
    There was another thread some time and versions ago where I mentioned that, while mining an asteroid, it seemed that its blocks jumped position slightly from time to time and the notion was then that this asteroid was probably right on an edge between two sectors causing this effect.

Greets,

Jan