Read by Council Stronger Lights

Reaction score
    PROBLEM
    When building large enclosed areas, lighting those areas can become difficult, if not impossible. Beacons give the appearance of being brighter, but affect their environment in the same way that standard light blocks do. Several light blocks grouped together appear brighter, but do not affect their environment in the way you would expect.

SOLUTIONS
    Increasing the lighting area for beacons opposed to standard lights.

When light blocks are placed close together, the area that the light reaches is increased. Many light blocks placed together create a much larger light range.

GOAL
    Large enclosed areas are more evenly lighted without scattering light blocks all over. Less gloomy looking player-created stations. Simulating nature within a station does not require direct light from a sun, or several lights placed all over.

Last edited:

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I just want spot lights. I would be still be happy if they were prerendered with the standard lights, but if this is all we get then I'm cool with it as well.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    I just want spot lights. I would be still be happy if they were prerendered with the standard lights, but if this is all we get then I'm cool with it as well.
    Yea, directional lights would be great as well. Put them on rails to get lighthouses, air raid lights, or the Fox logo Lights
    Gotta get that cool sci fi ship lighting

On the specific topic of this suggestion, a change to the dispersal of the lights we have now would be very helpful.

Reactions: jgames666

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Directional lights would be fantastic.

As for how lights currently work, it's not like Minecraft where there's a specific radius. Lights use rudimentary raytracing to cast beams in all directions.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    turn on you flashlight and witness the drop in fps :p
    can you imagine 100 spot lights on a single ship aahhaha

EDIT*
    tho it would be unfair to dismiss this just because it would cost us heavy on performance (now)
    I too would like both ideas to be implemented :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3

EDIT*
    tho it would be unfair to dismiss this just because it would cost us heavy on performance (now)
    I think that a decrease in performance isn't a reason to dismiss an idea, but an even greater reason to encourage working on that issue so that it is no longer a problem. No sense in sacrificing features because of a problematic system.

Reactions: jgames666
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    I think that a decrease in performance isn't a reason to dismiss an idea, but an even greater reason to encourage working on that issue so that it is no longer a problem. No sense in sacrificing features because of a problematic system.
    the trouble is,you cant do much for raytracing,it MUST work like that.
    The only other solution I see (that doesnt involve raytracing) but might be just as good..is to make it possible to make emmissive maps opaque wherever the "spotlight" is pointed,..so pretty much the same thing you see with computers,weapons,etc. whenyou have emissive maps (they look like they have lights)
    it wouldnt be "real light",but it would look like it is

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Would love this for my new hanger, at the moment its gonna be a pain to light it all without losing out aesthetically

starmade-screenshot-0060.jpg

Reactions: Croquelune
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    [DOUBLEPOST=1455328541,1455328425][/DOUBLEPOST]
    the trouble is,you cant do much for raytracing,it MUST work like that.
    The only other solution I see (that doesnt involve raytracing) but might be just as good..is to make it possible to make emmissive maps opaque wherever the "spotlight" is pointed,..so pretty much the same thing you see with computers,weapons,etc. whenyou have emissive maps (they look like they have lights)
    it wouldnt be "real light",but it would look like it is
    Oh yea, I mean I don't know the first thing about how anything in this game works, I can barely get a working logic door in this game, let alone the mechanics of the raytracing light system. Either way, I'm totally coaching from the side so I have no idea what is implementable, but a spotlight system would be incredible. I could finally build a labor camp for when the inevitable resource mining and alien prisoner penal colony update comes out. I need spotlights to catch the escapees who arent mining my dolom.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1455328609][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Would love this for my new hanger, at the moment its gonna be a pain to light it all without losing out aesthetically

View attachment 22418
    great details man, looks just like the opening scene from Combat evolved all you need are warthogs and scorpion tanks.
    Youre right though, its darn near impossible to light a large room without covering the thing in light blocks.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Oh that's so embarrassing, I can't believe I forgot that. Well, you have to build cairo station then haha.
    I already made a half size version as my homebase on the server I admin for, although its not very detailed. Was planning on making a 1:1 ship version that can't thrust but can turn and setting them up as actual gun platforms after the Leviathan is done :D

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive

EDIT*
    I'm fine with pre rendered directional lights. We don't need defered lighting everywhere, but it would be cool to have it as an option.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'm fine with pre rendered directional lights. We don't need defered lighting everywhere, but it would be cool to have it as an option.
    This.

Dynamic lightening can kill your FPS completely (5 FPS, you still want to play?)

But directional light is not equal to dynamic light. It is just casts the rays that you have to calculate anyway into a given direction.
    (same for lights which overlap at a spot but here it has to scale with 2 dimensions of lightening and distance).

It's a shame you can't build a 2x2x2 cluster and have it cast light twice as far.

Reactions: nightrune