Strategy Treatment: Disposable Defense

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I wanted to title this treatment "The Best Defense" because it is based on what really works, not what should work from a perspective of min-maxing trying to plan for every eventuality. I went to a more technical description to prevent pointless bickering over semantics about whether disposability is in fact a defense at all in the context of things like armor and ion effects. Within the game as it is currently though, it is my firm conviction that disposability IS by far the best defense possible in 90% of situations.

FACT 1: Regardless of defenses, a smaller, cheaper dedicated (ie without extraneous systems or armor beyond the essential to distract from all energy being focused on one task) long-range missile ship able to get in range can cripple or kill almost any heavy warship with a very few shots, should countermeasures (PD/AMS) fail, and countermeasures can be overwhelmed or bypassed in a calculated manner.

FACT 2: Real world military ships - modern, top-of-line vessels - are quite literally designed to be disposable and replacable. They rely on range, speed, and area control (air superiority, sea superiority) to eliminate threats before they can be hit, and ECM, EW & SAM suites to prevent enemy munitions from ever reaching them when something does manage to get through because the reality is that often a single shot can sink even a heavily armored warship. Modern warships and armor - DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums

CONCLUSION: Our situation in Starmade is NOT dissimilar. Adding more than light armor & shields means direct cost, PLUS target size increase, speed decrease, additional power demands, additional support system costs (jump, overdrive, jamming), and at the end of the day, a dedicated long-range missile ship can still deliver a few shots that will wreck even very large warships, if ECM & Point defenses fail. Yes, fast ships with cannons are not stopped by PD, but they can be stopped themselves by missile volleys, making long-range and fast fire the best defense against them as well, not 5-layer armor and 20M shield bubbles. Just kill them before they can range in instead of defending against them at vastly greater expense and far less reliability.

STRATEGY: Disposable hardware.

Starmade players often dump days and even weeks into building ships, only to have them wrecked by someone clever. The standard response is to cry foul and often rage quit. This is natural - the commanders of many defeated armies in reality do the same thing, right before putting the barrel of a gun in their mouths. Understandable, but incapable of resulting in victory.

The commanders of victorious armies have learned that hardware and troops are resources to be spent (though not squandered). Expect to lose them, but only do so when their loss purchases something of strategic significance.

We do not put combat troops in the field in head-to-toe, heavy bulletproof armor. We equip them with excellent offense and attempt to give them maximum mobility and assume that there with be losses. Modern warships are not armored at all for the most part, and those that are are not actually relying on their armor to protect them while they blindly face down enemies. There are no "tanks" in the real world - not even actual armored vehicles because a single well-placed RPG or IED will end them. They are armored against small arms only.

The winning defense in Starmade is also about disposability.

If player A builds a warship with heavy armor, shields, and effect systems in addition to substantial offense, and player B uses the same value worth of resources to build 3-5 dedicated attack ships with only the lightest physical defenses but sufficient point defense & thrust, not only will the B ships be faster, more agile, and better at delivering damage, but when they defeat the heavily defended A ship, the result will be a 100% loss for A, and a fractional loss for B. Even should the resources committed to battle be uneven and the B fleet lose, because of disposability, 1-2 ships can be left to lose the fight while intact ships are extracted. A disposable defense can moderate a loss. Disposable ships do not drain coffers so deeply, and are more Quickly replaced as well, so commanders can continue to effectively fight a war even after losing a battle (or 3), whether through error or as part of a strategy.

Losing one battle with a ship that has the resources of several world's poured into it, typically means many hours or even days of lost resources and a slow and difficult comeback... if the massive loss doesn't cause the defeated commander to digitally sepuku by rage quitting the sever altogether. The vastly greater resource loss would be acceptable if it made ships more survivable, but we know it does not. Tricks and tactics can overcome the most most heavily defended ships. The only decision is whether fielding x-DPS worth of firepower should involve risking the minimum of resources, or 5 times that amount to bring to bear the same threat against an enemy.

[MORE TO COME - I JUST LOST THE REST OF THIS POST TO AN UN-ANNOUNCED, TIMED LOGOUT ON A MOBILE DEVICE AND MY THUMBS CAN'T BEAR TO REPEAT AT THE MOMENT]

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Also having small fleet ships can take out larger enemy ships(just ask the scavs) our 6 5k and under ships took out there fleet of 15 def ships and 6 attack cruisers with minimal damage

jontyfreack

Pipe-God-Emperor of starmade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    Also, making cheap ships is kind on the production side of things. To engage in combat you don't just need combat ships, you need to be able to make those combat ships first, and you don't want to be constantly running low on materials. A good way of achieving this is to make a ship that can be produced from as few different asteroids as possible, this means you wont have to spread your mining forces thin to find the required resources to produce your combat ships.

My main strategy for a disposable defence is to create a relatively short ranged warp gate network around my home base and to have plenty of combat ships in reserve to move through these gates. The idea is that if an enemy is seen near one of these gates, I can move a sizable fleet of 20k mass destroyers to essentially attack the attacker (because apparently the best defence is a good offence, this does work more often than not). This apparently does work with large faction territories, however this has yet to be tested fully (mainly because I have not got much time for starmade nowadays).

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    STRATEGY: Disposable hardware.

Starmade players often dump days and even weeks into building ships, only to have them wrecked by someone clever.
    I would also argue that a diversified fleet is the best, as one side of the fleet can be designed to make up for the shortcomings of the other, and vice versa. Then you can be the someone clever.

My main strategy for a disposable defence is to create a relatively short ranged warp gate network around my home base and to have plenty of combat ships in reserve to move through these gates. The idea is that if an enemy is seen near one of these gates, I can move a sizable fleet of 20k mass destroyers to essentially attack the attacker
    Can fleets use gates?

jontyfreack

Pipe-God-Emperor of starmade
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    Can fleets use gates?
    ai fleets themselves cannot, however being in a faction helps, as a fleet of 6 destroyers is not something to defend against with a single fighter.

Spoolooni

Token Chinese
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Right now the biggest ship I'm building thus far is 600m+ in height but 700m- in all dimensions. What really makes larger ships effective is when they're guarded by disposable defenses and they are well engineered, thought through and most importantly: *mobile*. The way I see giant ships is, they are large beluga pillars with tons of small immobile ships attached to them, ready to do one task and that is bestow questions that fleets need to answer, or ultimately die trying. It's no doubt that titan sized ships with lavish interior are useless as they are unable to out-value the enemy, it is why I tend to emphasize on the concept of value. If I'm not getting the best value out of my size, I am building a gold sink not an effective combat entity. While some Red Eagle members like myself tend to shitpost about classifications, calling everything a fighter, the dank philosophy is not far from the truth. You can name your ships with the fanciest and most pretentious and well endowed adjectives, nouns or verbs- but at the end of a day, if a ship can't fight well, a ship is pretty-trash or as Gmodism or Drakkart describes as "pretty-crap."

This is why I am refusing to build a ship larger than 700m, and I certainly will start building smaller and smaller until I can get the absolute best value through the least amount of space used. I suppose at the end of the winter months, i'm expecting to have a gradual collection of ships ranging in sizes of a similar art style to the one I am constructing. In my opinion, if one wants to become a good engineer, one must build a ship that 'fights well,' like a fighter~

Last edited:
    Reactions: MacThule

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    This is an unusually accurate assessment of StarMade fleet combat. I'm interested in seeing what else you'll add.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    This is an unusually accurate assessment of StarMade fleet combat. I'm interested in seeing what else you'll add.
    Thanks!

I'll be showing how resource acquisition and manufacturing capability are the true shield and armor here, and discussing why civilian ships should be the most disposable in your armada and how that also makes them the most valuable and essential ship types to have in your BP repertoire, and giving some real-world comparative examples of costs for commercial and military ships to show why sending a $500M frigate into harm's way to retaliate for or even interrupt an attack on a $3M cargo or mining rig is just plain dumb unless the attack is part of something bigger X-D

...tomorrow... hopefully... being on holiday is inspiring, but results in unpredictably limited access!

Last edited:

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    These points would be perfectly true for SM if the current fleet AI we have wasn't so dumb and retarded.

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    These points would be perfectly true for SM if the current fleet AI we have wasn't so dumb and retarded.
    I feel that the weakness of AI directly contributes to the laundry list of reasons players should NOT invest excessive hours of grinding to field ships overburdened with pointless, heavy physical defenses.

In the OP I say "if ECM & Point defense fail"... the reality of unreliable AI means that experienced players should generally expect that PD does fail with terrible frequency, letting through exactly those killer missile attacks that render any defense besides disposable design a nearly futile effort in most engagements.

I love my PD turrets, but I'm sanguine about the fact that they sometimes hopelessly fail, leaving the core issue still a question of whether the ship I just lost took me 15 minutes to source & create, or 5 hours.

How is the weak AI protecting ships from being inevitable losses in SM combat where player opponents are involved?

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Yeah, PD's fail a lot, but that wasn't really my point. My greatest complaining is over fleet AI, which should had changed the meta, killing FridgeMade gameplay by having disposable, smaller and therefore cheaper ai ships performing better than a mil mass brick.

Reaction score
    I've been waiting in the wings since summer to jump back on, and before that, it had been a year or so. It seems to be that ships are essentially a means by which to move guns around space.

I'm sure there is a formula one could create for the optimum cost and mass going into a ship and the percieved effectiveness and value derived from it, perhaps in Credits cost per DPS as the ultimate function, as a value over mass.

[(Damage Per Second of weapons systems)/(Credits used in building a ship)]/Total Mass of the ship = X

Where X is a value representing the efficiency of a vessel in waging war. Higher Damage per second and lower cost of producing a ship grants a higher Cost per DPS rating. A lower C/DPS rating divided by a smaller mass will yield a higher efficiency rating.

I'm not sure what those values are, but I would use this kind of logic when building an empire. I would only splurge beyond basic theme or design elements on a Home planet, home state, or Capital Ship.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Yeah, PD's fail a lot, but that wasn't really my point. My greatest complaining is over fleet AI, which should had changed the meta, killing FridgeMade gameplay by having disposable, smaller and therefore cheaper ai ships performing better than a mil mass brick.
    Man, I wish fleet AI and command interface were better! The fleet GUI needs a serious re-design, giving the ability to customize info displays on fleets, group & nest fleets, set standing orders for fleets when they get loaded while owners are offline, ability to pass shared command priviledge to specific alliances and indivials on a fleet by fleet basis, and the ability to drag particular orders for particular fleets into the vastitude of available hotbar slots we have. Then the fleet AI needs to be brought to a level that it can perform more reliably. Being able to SOMEHOW program fleet AI and tie it to logic would be ideal, so if sensor block on mining station A17 shows damage, fleet Jump_Patrol_4 immediately begins spooling up shields and jumping towards the entity with like a frigate and 20 light fighters or whatever with orders to engage any non-allied entitylies in range (because this could help deal with unfactiined turret/ship exploits against stations too) I'm looking forward to the day fleet AI gets near even 75% of its potential.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I agree with the general idea of disposable defense. Though, I would argue that one should have both a disposable defence(such as the one described), and a larger player controlled attack vessel for taking out those types of fleets.

The main thing said fleet lacks is a jump capability (unless you fit it onto a carrier). Something that has high shielding and firepower that can jump in take at least one enemy out, and jump away before being destroyed. More or less a tactical strike craft.

If you can jump in, unload your salvo and jump out, you may not take any damage at all. It takes time for enemy missiles to get to you, and ai to realize a new target is in range. This doesn't work for ai controlled ships though as they can't use jump engines. Once AI fleets are able to pursue an attacker (by jumping after them), this tactic may become less effective.

Reactions: Spoolooni
    Reaction score
    I agree with the general idea of disposable defense. Though, I would argue that one should have both a disposable defence(such as the one described), and a larger player controlled attack vessel for taking out those types of fleets.

The main thing said fleet lacks is a jump capability (unless you fit it onto a carrier). Something that has high shielding and firepower that can jump in take at least one enemy out, and jump away before being destroyed. More or less a tactical strike craft.

If you can jump in, unload your salvo and jump out, you may not take any damage at all. It takes time for enemy missiles to get to you, and ai to realize a new target is in range. This doesn't work for ai controlled ships though as they can't use jump engines. Once AI fleets are able to pursue an attacker (by jumping after them), this tactic may become less effective.
    Can you make a "jump sled" that has docks for a whole fleet and jumps them to their destination? Or would it have to take the mass of the entire fleet into account for jump modules?

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Can you make a "jump sled" that has docks for a whole fleet and jumps them to their destination? Or would it have to take the mass of the entire fleet into account for jump modules?
    It takes the whole mass.