Strange obsessions?

Reaction score
    So, I was wondering, do any of you have any weird obsessions when it comes to playing the game?

As an example, here's mines: I love ship naming / class naming, and the whole RPish idea of individual ships in a class...I won't just build the 'Defender Class' (just as an example), I'll start a ship, build the basic hull outline, save it as a blueprint, build the first ship and call it 'Defender' , re-load the basic hull, build a new ship around it and call it the 'Attacker' and refer to both ships as Defender-Class....weird, I know :ROFLMAO:

....so, what are your strange Starmade habits? :-p

Reaction score
    Cleaning up interiors. If i don't do it for every single bloc I feel like my build is messed up. D:

Reactions: Scratchmort

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I consider it a strange habit that I must complete an entirely enclosed, airtight room when I start building a new ship, typically the bridge/cockpit/flight control room. As if there needs to be a place where visitors can unseal their helmets, kick up their magboots and relax while watching me build the rest of the ship. You never know when the Queen o' England might show up for a surprise inspection!

What makes this strange? I play single-player.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I too like to build multiple ship types on one hull. It has to have mechanical parts mostly too, not all ships, but I try to have something on every one if I can.

Edit: I'm also a sucker for modular cargo ships.

Reactions: Top 4ce

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    So, I was wondering, do any of you have any weird obsessions when it comes to playing the game?

As an example, here's mines: I love ship naming / class naming, and the whole RPish idea of individual ships in a class...I won't just build the 'Defender Class' (just as an example), I'll start a ship, build the basic hull outline, save it as a blueprint, build the first ship and call it 'Defender' , re-load the basic hull, build a new ship around it and call it the 'Attacker' and refer to both ships as Defender-Class....weird, I know :ROFLMAO:

....so, what are your strange Starmade habits? :-p
    X-plane symmetry and quad-nacelles.

It literally hurts my brain to build asymmetrically or without 4 engine nacelles

Reactions: Agame3

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Absolutely breaking the balance or mechanics.

Also; Girders.

Reactions: Calhoun

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Definitely finding the most ludicrous ways of using new mechanics. Often things too lag inducing to use on a server or too unstable to use in general. =P

Reaction score
    I strongly prefer to have a functional-looking bridge that's operable and visible from the ship core itself, and has not only a good view but an array of computers and blinkenlights to make it feel natural.

I'm also a fan of more abstract, poetic/thematic names, in the vein of Iain M. Banks. Why would I want to drive the "DDG Rapide #8" when it could be called something like "Visible Fist of the Market", "Let the Ravens Feast", "And Then There Were None" or "Sing Your Black Litany" instead?

Pretty sure that this is far more prevalent than just you.

Last edited:

Centauri

Ancient Lurker & Modder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    If I don't finish a ship, I cram it into a random sector on my server, causing there to be random sectors throughout the universe just full of half completed ships/hulls. I occasionally just wander around these sectors months later picking out random things to work on again for a day or so and then put it back.

Reaction score
    If I don't finish a ship, I cram it into a random sector on my server, causing there to be random sectors throughout the universe just full of half completed ships/hulls. I occasionally just wander around these sectors months later picking out random things to work on again for a day or so and then put it back.
    That's pretty awesome, actually! I might have to try that myself ;)

ZektorSK

Poor boi from northern Hungary ^^
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Placing 10 blocks and then logging out of the game, because I am lazy

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    I consider it a strange habit that I must complete an entirely enclosed, airtight room when I start building a new ship, typically the bridge/cockpit/flight control room. As if there needs to be a place where visitors can unseal their helmets, kick up their magboots and relax while watching me build the rest of the ship. You never know when the Queen o' England might show up for a surprise inspection!

What makes this strange? I play single-player.
    Same. I still wonder why I treat this game as if air pressure is a thing. Who really needs like 20 airlocks anyways? And OMG, when you go to someone else's base and it is a power/shield/cargo cube. Ugh, I swear...

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    No matter how symmetrical the shape of the ship I am building, it has to have at least a few asymetric details on it.

Also, brown advanced armour. Good for everything that is supposed to be brown and most things that aren't supposed to be brown.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Carpet.

Virtually everything I do has brown standard armor as the floor because it looks like berber carpeting.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Not finishing ships.
    It's. shame I can only agree once... xD

I find ai end up staring at whatever wip I have, too overwhelmed with all the work to do to figure out what to do next. I probably waste a good bit of build time this way.