Strange obsessions?

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I find ai end up staring at whatever wip I have, too overwhelmed with all the work to do to figure out what to do next. I probably waste a good bit of build time this way.
    My trick there is to work on multiple different things at once. When inspiration strikes on one, I work on it. When I get sick of working on say a ship, I go work on a station instead.

Or I just go play another game entirely for a few weeks. I've actually been playing Destiny 2 recently, and I've gotten some great ideas to incorporate into my own ships from there.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    My trick there is to work on multiple different things at once. When inspiration strikes on one, I work on it. When I get sick of working on say a ship, I go work on a station instead.

Or I just go play another game entirely for a few weeks. I've actually been playing Destiny 2 recently, and I've gotten some great ideas to incorporate into my own ships from there.
    My problem is I have a bad tendency of not completing ships (or at least larger ships). I get overwhelmed, I'll work here and there, I'll jump to another ship or w/e so I don't get myself burnt out focusing on the first thing, and then it takes me forever to actually go back to the previous thing if I do at all.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    My problem is I have a bad tendency of not completing ships (or at least larger ships). I get overwhelmed, I'll work here and there, I'll jump to another ship or w/e so I don't get myself burnt out focusing on the first thing, and then it takes me forever to actually go back to the previous thing if I do at all.
    Oh I know. Its taken me about 2 months to mostly finish my hybrid mining/drone carrier ship because I keep wandering off to do other things.

starmade-screenshot-0000.jpg
    Still have some detailing to do (mostly on the underside), but the main trick I've found to keeping on it is to, well, keep on it. As in, work on at least a small bit of it every time I get on. Even if its only a single detailing feature, or adding a single rough shape section of the hull.

madman Captain

Self-appointet Overlord of the Scaffold
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I had an obsession for large(titan) industrial themed ships (exposed scafholds, pipes, maschinery, tanks, containers) and recently railguns, but I think this pictures speaks for himself.

Reactions: Agame3 and Coyote27
    Reaction score
    I Like to Build oversized and overpowered turrets on my base just to look how they behave while shredding Titan Class Ships ^^
    but mostlyi'm just waiting for the Power update so i can start building my first big ship right after i redesigned my Space station :cry: this will take ages... 1.500m long 1.000m heigh 1.000m width shipyard with i think it was 50 Generators going through the arcs... this will be horrible.

by the way "madman Captain" i really liked your "Shard of infinity" but it was a real lagfest during its destruction with all the doors and turrets going crazy after beeing shot loose from the hull :^D

it even helped me to find a verry strange value in my custom block behavior config mich i could not remember to have made myself o_O
    was really wierd to find out that i could take out a 35million strong Shield with a 2x2block cannon cannon combo in 5 seconds.
    wierd i can't remember giving the cannons a 200.000dmg value per block :censored:

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I Like to Build oversized and overpowered turrets on my base just to look how they behave while shredding Titan Class Ships ^^
    but mostlyi'm just waiting for the Power update so i can start building my first big ship right after i redesigned my Space station :cry: this will take ages... 1.500m long 1.000m heigh 1.000m width shipyard with i think it was 50 Generators going through the arcs... this will be horrible.

by the way "madman Captain" i really liked your "Shard of infinity" but it was a real lagfest during its destruction with all the doors and turrets going crazy after beeing shot loose from the hull :^D

it even helped me to find a verry strange value in my custom block behavior config mich i could not remember to have made myself o_O
    was really wierd to find out that i could take out a 35million strong Shield with a 2x2block cannon cannon combo in 5 seconds.
    wierd i can't remember giving the cannons a 200.000dmg value per block :censored:
    OP much? xD

Reactions: Agame3

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Mobile and semi-mobile faction home bases... I simply cannot allow myself to be tied to one sector.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    If I see an interesting behaviour no matter how small I must peel away every layer of it function until it begs for mercy and tells me how to use it for some clearly unintended purpose.

Reactions: Dr. Whammy
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    After test running a ship off the Dock, I strip all the systems and weapons out to redo them.

Reaction score
    OP much? xD
    yea think about a turret which has about 50k-100k blocks dedicatd to the weapon system ^^
    build one which could shred this ship Shard of Infinity in about 5 minutes
    but i really think that these kind of turrets are not even usable on regular stations ^^
    and mine i think can't be counted to the regular ones :-D
    and this is more or less just a giant shipyard :-D

8 independent Cannon/Cannon weapons ^^ sadly only the AI can use it to its full potential :-D
    (the structur info is from build mode of the space station, not the turrets ^^)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    yea think about a turret which has about 50k-100k blocks dedicatd to the weapon system ^^
    build one which could shred this ship Shard of Infinity in about 5 minutes
    but i really think that these kind of turrets are not even usable on regular stations ^^
    and mine i think can't be counted to the regular ones :-D
    and this is more or less just a giant shipyard :-D

8 independent Cannon/Cannon weapons ^^ sadly only the AI can use it to its full potential :-D
    (the structur info is from build mode of the space station, not the turrets ^^)
    Sadly, my turrets are a bit underpowered atm ;3;
    I knew I wanted the turrets to be large enough to fill out the ship, but I was super limited on depth for insetting the turret base because of how I laid out the interior. As a result, I maxed out power suppy from the base, and was limited on how powerful I could make the turret barrels, resulting in a small bit of unused space in the turret barrel (and space that could be filled with shields and caps in the base).
    turret on ship wip.jpg

madman Captain

Self-appointet Overlord of the Scaffold
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yeah the Shard isnt really PvP ready (or for anything else) crappy builded systems, outdated, plus I never really build efficency.

Reaction score
    Sadly, my turrets are a bit underpowered atm ;3;
    I knew I wanted the turrets to be large enough to fill out the ship, but I was super limited on depth for insetting the turret base because of how I laid out the interior. As a result, I maxed out power suppy from the base, and was limited on how powerful I could make the turret barrels, resulting in a small bit of unused space in the turret barrel (and space that could be filled with shields and caps in the base).
    i must admit i havent used my shipyard to build anything really useful yet :-D
    i got it ready to work and then thought about how the heck do i supply this freaking thing with enough resources to build anything :-D
    and then ended up building a really not so smaal factory which would process any incomming resources and then build any blocks depending on a sensor controlled storage for every single block type ^^
    and now i have ideas for what i want to build but hey "Power Update" is comming and now im thinking about "soon i have to remove loads of power blocks from my shipyard and capacitors and stuff and then pot the new system somwhere it would supply enough power for the station to work.... and these are a lot... had to change the block config so i could place the arcs farther away from each other becouse the first try sucked up way too much energy and even this one eats about 15m e/s just for the shipyard :'-) 22 shipyard arcs with 100 spacing and each arc has 5 power generators running through them "phew thats gonna take some time"
    Yeah the Shard isnt really PvP ready (or for anything else) crappy builded systems, outdated, plus I never really build efficency.
    that may be so but i think it handled itself quiet well against a turret which has the firepower of a not so small warship just by itself :)

it was quiet capabel to repel constant missile attacks from homing and swarm missile turrets for about an hour befor the missiles even got the shields down on their own (the anti missile turrets worked verry efficient) and there were about 500 missiles lounched at it per minute ^^
    and i really liked the design :)
    Shameless plug, but you might like this: Large Heavy Turret Shell
    Its dangerous to go alone take this: Anti Capital Ship turret SHELL
    They look both really nice but i like to test and design my own things for my own ships :)
    and the things i build to this day are really not designed to look like cool things :-p they are atm just big edgy freaking guns where i tested some combos and how they worked out and especially how much power they ate while in combat ^^

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    i must admit i havent used my shipyard to build anything really useful yet :-D
    i got it ready to work and then thought about how the heck do i supply this freaking thing with enough resources to build anything :-D
    and then ended up building a really not so smaal factory which would process any incomming resources and then build any blocks depending on a sensor controlled storage for every single block type ^^
    and now i have ideas for what i want to build but hey "Power Update" is comming and now im thinking about "soon i have to remove loads of power blocks from my shipyard and capacitors and stuff and then pot the new system somwhere it would supply enough power for the station to work.... and these are a lot... had to change the block config so i could place the arcs farther away from each other becouse the first try sucked up way too much energy and even this one eats about 15m e/s just for the shipyard :'-) 22 shipyard arcs with 100 spacing and each arc has 5 power generators running through them "phew thats gonna take some time"

Haha, right. Issue with this ship is that I'm building it to fend off pirates while working on my battlecruiser... may have to spawn in a second one though to be more reasonable. As for the power update, these turrets are fairly small so will be easy to retrofit, and the ship itself is being built and will be saved as a shell first so that I don't have to remove power blocks from it. (and if I have time, I'll put systems in it, but that probably won't happen. Temporarily I have a bunch of thrusters, shields, and power sitting /outside/ the ship, as I tend to do, so I don't get blown up by pirates while constructing).

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    the ship itself is being built and will be saved as a shell first so that I don't have to remove power blocks from it.
    FYI, SMBEdit - Blueprint Editor makes stripping systems out of your ships very easy. It has an option to totally remove a specified block from a blueprint entirely. Just set it up with a command to remove power blocks, shields, thrusters, weapons, etc and in one command you can revert a finished ship back to a hull.

Saves you a LOT of time when you want to completely refurbish a ship.

Reaction score
    yea pirates :-D

i think i havent seen any pirates ner my station since i claimed the system.

i dont know if its related to the claim on the system or the sheer size of the station and the weapons on it ^^ but i clearly remember when i started on the world i had not even built a smaal starting vessel for mining when i got killed by pirates the first time o_O
    and i know there are at least 4 undamaged pirate stations left in the system ^^
    [doublepost=1506366118,1506365867][/doublepost]
    FYI, SMBEdit - Blueprint Editor makes stripping systems out of your ships very easy. It has an option to totally remove a specified block from a blueprint entirely. Just set it up with a command to remove power blocks, shields, thrusters, weapons, etc and in one command you can revert a finished ship back to a hull.

sure thing that one i'll definitely use to strip my station of its power blocks :) thanks for that!
    without this thing it might have been easier to rebuild the whole thing ^^

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4

Of course; designing it as a shell to begin with though is just as easy though; I tend to wait till the end to give the ship its actual systems /anyway/. I build my ships with a bias towards RP moreso than pvp. (Sadly, I've yet to play online in my years of StarMade due to how irregularly I play, fearing I'd be of no real contribution to a server XD )