• StormWing0's Entry

• OfficialCoding's Entry

• DeepspaceMechanic's Entry

Results are only viewable after voting.
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Basis -

Dear StarMade Dock Community Members,

I have come up with an idea to get creative juices flowing from everyone and to help inspire people to build creations which will vary from stations and ships to rooms and components. Each section of the competition will see a brief Storyline for you to read and will continue from the previous section. Hopefully with this you will be able to look at different sections of building that you might not have thought about before or may just be looking for to add a little extra touch to your creations.

I will be checking this thread frequently and will accept any number of participants in each section. Each section will receive a specific set of rules and at the end of each section we will leave it up to competitors and viewers to vote on their favourite designs and creations.

If you would like to participate at any point, please put a response to the thread along with images of your creations WITHIN spoiler tags, to avoid cluttering the thread with a large slowdown caused by rendering of these pictures. If you have not yet designed your creation and would still like to enter, respond to the post with a 'Reserved For Design' comment - this will be the comment you edit to later include your design/images.

Without further ado, let us get this started!

Section 4 - Material Interest

Your team make a sigh of relief as your field test was an enormous success. Your faction/company were amazed by your confidence and design and you have also gained the attention of outside investors who were invited to see the prototype in action! This surely is a great step for you and a huge step for your company/faction!

The success of the field test leaves you full to the brim with energy and enthusiasm. Such enthusiasm is what you need at this point in time as your faction/company are in need of improvements to the current mining/harvesting/salvaging systems. Your hard work on the reactor power/generator prototype has led them to believe you can vastly improve the designs on these to increase the quantity of resources that are harvested. You understand that with access to more resources, you have more ability to develop and research within your company/faction. You call the team over to the table and begin to discuss your designs and ideas...

In this section of the story you are tasked with designing a mining/harvesting ship. The rules will be as follows:

1. The ship is not a carrier, it is for mining/harvesting/salvaging itself.
    2. The ship is not to feature armaments, it is purely for salvaging.
    3. The ship is a manned vessel, it can hold between 1-5 people/crew (this is up to you on max crew members)
    4. It requires cargo space on the ship.
    5. Size is at your discretion, due to amount of crew you choose the ship to have capacity to hold.
    Your main focus on this is to use your ability to design a small sized ship. As a manned vessel the votes will be taken on both Interior and Exterior of your ship. The ship will be required to hold materials from any harvesting you do, please feature statistics on how much cargo it can hold and how many crew members you designed it to hold (including yourself/the pilot).

Extras:

• You do not need to feature your power reactor/generator, however it may be beneficial to feature it as part of 'production era'. Think of it as multiple models of ships that may feature the same power generator/reactor architecture.

The due date for this section of the competition will be on the 31/10/2019. Extra time has been allowed due to give more room for new competitors to join in. Good luck and most importantly: Have fun building!

Current Voting:
    Section 2 - Generating Developments

Finishing your morning routine and setting yourself up for the day you are ready to head to work. Your team have been working on a prototype for a new series of power reactors. You have designs for this prototype to shape the future of your faction/company's ship building developments and to make drastic improvements to the previous fleet models existing power system.

After several hours of tinkering and modifications your team have finally finished developing the initial prototype, a magnificent work of art even if you say so yourself. It has taken a long time to create the designs and many failed attempts before this new prototype could emerge, but only under your motivational and careful leadership could it finally come to fruition! You and your team gaze upon the prototype, a glint of pride in your eyes...

In this section of the story you have been tasked with designing an aesthetic power generator. The rules will be as follows:

1. Up to a maximum size of 80 power reactor blocks / Level 8 reactor (Other blocks not limited)
    2. Stabilisers not required at this stage (aesthetic on the reactor alone and therefore capped at 25% stabilisation at this stage)
    This task is focused on your detailing of 'feature' components for ships and stations. It is flagged as 'Special' as this current project will feature later in other sections. Stabilisers can be skipped because they may end up subject to change in later sections of the competition (through your discretion).

And

Section 3 - Prototype Testing

After the developmental stages of your prototype there is only a live field test to do. Although your previous tests have shown that the power reactor/generator does indeed produce power you are eager to press on to the next step - showing your faction/company the true functionality and quality behind your work.

Your team have suggested to use it to power small models but they do not possess the same confidence that you do. You know that this reactor is the future for your faction/company and need to make sure they understand. You personally swap over the current reactor from your personal transportation vehicle for the prototype design. With this level of presentation you are sure to show they made the right choice in giving you the role as head of the Research and Development team! After working to integrate the prototype into your personal transport vehicle you are your team unveil it to those who came to see...

In this section of the story you have been tasked with designing your own Personal Transport Vehicle (PTV) using the previous generator/reactor as a feature. The rules will be as follows:

1. Must have your generator/reactor prototype visible (either outside or inside the vehicle)
    2. ]The PTV must not have weapons or armaments, it is purely for movement only
    3. Designed for a singular pilot (it is not designed to carry multiple people)

This task is focused on your ability to make designs for the body of a smaller ship. There are no size restrictions so you may travel in style and votes will be taken for both the Interior and Exterior of your PTV. Do be aware that the PTV is not intended for cargo hauling, combat or other features outside of travel.

The due date for this section of the competition will be on the 15/08/2019. This should give those entering enough time to come up with a suitable design for their PTV. Voting as with the last section will end on the same date, giving plenty of time to cast your votes for the previous round once the poll opens. Good luck!

Previous Rounds:
    Section 1 - Introduction and Waking Up

You are the head of the research and development team for your faction/company. You've recently acquired this position. It's been a long service that you've committed yourself to but has not been unnoticed. Your directors have seen the depths of your loyalty to the faction/company and know you to be a hard-working and dedicated individual. Finally you have been recognised and rewarded for this!

As part of your role you now live on site at work and have been provided with your own room/suite. No more sharing bunks with others whilst you're at your faction/company home base! You are waking up from the previous day at work and open your eyes to see your new room/suite... but what does it look like?

In this section of the story you are tasked with designing the room you live in at work. The rules will be as follows:

1. Maximum size of 30 x 30 x 30 (length x width x height)
    2. Must contain a bed
    3. Must contain an on-suite bathroom/facilities

Your main focus on this task is the interior and will not be judged on an exterior for the room. All images should be taken from an interior perspective. The room can be located on either a station or planet.

View attachment 53784Kitchen Door is password protected on the outer side btw
    View attachment 53785

First, we have the guest room, where you can host a dinner or discussion with three people, or perhaps even a total of eight, if you bring four extra chairs to the octagonal wooden table, placed between the window and the trophy/liqueur collection:
    View attachment 53832

From the guest room, we enter the office. Whatever office equipment your job as the head of the R&D team might need, be it a personal computer, book self, document archive closet, blueprint printer or coffee machine, this office has it all:
    View attachment 53833

Also approachable form the guest room, is a glass-sealed balcony, where you can drink your morning coffee and enjoy the view of your industrial surroundings in all of its raw, utilitarian glory:
    View attachment 53834
    Having a personal suite of your own means that you not only get to have your own private place to sleep, but also your own private place to eat... and cook... notice the display:
    View attachment 53835

A lounge with a bar, a large table, comfy couches, some electronics and a POOL TABLE:
    View attachment 53836

A gym, not only so that you have the opportunity to compensate your long nights at the bar, but also to maintain a good regular exercise routine, which is always a "must" in space:
    View attachment 53837
    Unlike the lounge at the basement, mostly meant for gathering with friends and colleagues, the living room of the top floor is all your's. Has a large couch, a book self, some studio-level sound gear, an aquarium/terrarium, and a home cinema system:
    View attachment 53838

Coziness amped to the max in this lights-off shot of the bedroom. Sweet dreams:
    View attachment 53839

Approachable from the living room, is a dome-covered garden with sizable trees, flower beds, a koi fish fountain, and an armchair for the times when you really need to collect your thoughts or find your most tranquil state of mind:
    View attachment 53840
    The Winning Entry of this round belongs to DeepSpaceMechanic! Congratulations on your entry!

For those of you that missed the due date for previous sections of the competition all is not lost as you are free to join at any section of the competition! This thread has been made to promote designs and building and to inspire the creative works of the community, as such even though you might have missed the due date for a section we would still like to see any work you've done or projects you have worked on! Feel free to post with links or screenshots of designs you've made for previous sections by flagging them in a spoiler titled "Previous Section #" (replacing the # for the number of the section).

Could a moderator please remove the current poll so that another could be placed up please?[/SPOILER]

Last edited:

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    hmm seems like something interesting to mess with. :) I'll see if I can whip something up after I'm done fussing with a side project. :)

Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    • Thinking Positive
    If you have not yet designed your creation and would still like to enter, respond to the post with a 'Reserved For Design' comment - this will be the comment you edit to later include your design/images.
    ~ Reserved For Design ~

Wonderful idea and a very well-written presentation!

I would love to see this competition gaining attention and producing results.

I will start building something for the "Section 1" challenge this week, after finishing with an update I'm working on now, and I'll edit this post to include the completed thing. (Check further down)

Thanks for posting this competition. It's always nice to take up creative challenges that define constraints to what you create, while also giving an elevated sense of purpose to the process of design and its product. I love the story-based idea in general and also the specific introduction part of the story you came up with (y)

It will be fun to design that suite, and the community does indeed need some revivifying inspiration.

Last edited:
    Reactions: AngelusKutona
    Reaction score
    ~ Reserved for Design ~

100% certain mine will be the worst, but at least it's something that suits my normal building, size-wise.

Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    This section of the competition will end on the 12/05/2019 - unless I have enough requests/participants who request a later date to have it turned in by.

It's disappointing to see that this imaginative competition didn't gain much attention, and that none of us have managed to post/build anything before the end date.

My excuse is that my week turned particularly busy last week, while on this week, I just procrastinated the starting of this challenge right until yesterday, due to a particularly enthusiastic and obsession-inducing station modernization project.

But I have good plans and would really-really want to see this competition to come to fruition :)

So I guess we could extend this with another week, right? - AngelusKutona

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    lol totally forgot and was busy trying to figure out why updated pirate stations weren't shooting people.

Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    the end date of this section of the competition will be extended a further two weeks - ending on the 26/05/2019.

Is this reasonable for us all?

Sounds good, even better than a single bonus week, best to be sure.

And I'm going to link this thread in a status message I'm going to post right after this (so that it remains on SMD's front page until five other forumers updated their statuses).

Also, blame the current development stage / activity level for the lack of attention and participation, not the competition itself.

It's really a fun idea already, and I can see very promising possible directions it may evolve in.

OfficialCoding

Professional Quickfire Hater
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Getting my entry in. :)

Reserved for entry

https:// imgur.com /a/ uWZImu5

Remove the spaces, Imgur and forums don't seem to mix too well for some odd reason.
    those are really good. All I have built is as straw lol

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    those are really good. All I have built is as straw lol
    Honestly I usually get outdone by several faction members and so far was learning (AKA Stealing small bits) from them. XD Forgot to add a factory section but with the shop right next to the shipyard computer I don't think it needs one. The funny thing is I managed to cram a shipyard into that 30^3 space but didn't take any pictures of it. XD

Reactions: OfficialCoding

OfficialCoding

Professional Quickfire Hater
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    And since SMD won't let me upload more than 10 images here is the rest
    Safe. Can fit 2 people. Password Protected and heavily armored.
    starmade-screenshot-0637.png
    starmade-screenshot-0638.png

Reactions: DeepspaceMechanic
    Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Missed the end-date by a day, but here's my entry!
    (I'm making a new post for it, instead of editing my reserved post, to bump the thread)

Since the size limit was 30^3, I figured I'll make a 29x29 base and see how many floors I can stack onto each other.

With my standard 5m ceiling height, and separate layers for the ceiling of one level/the floor of the level above, I built my suite as a triple-decker, with a size of 29x21x29 on its own (and 33x27x33 with its external armor layer plus the surface detailing of the shell).

Let's see the main compartments per floor, plus a bonus shot of the whole thing from outside:

First, we have the guest room, where you can host a dinner or discussion with three people, or perhaps even a total of eight, if you bring four extra chairs to the octagonal wooden table, placed between the window and the trophy/liqueur collection:
    Suite (1).png

From the guest room, we enter the office. Whatever office equipment your job as the head of the R&D team might need, be it a personal computer, book self, document archive closet, blueprint printer or coffee machine, this office has it all:
    Suite (2).png

Also approachable form the guest room, is a glass-sealed balcony, where you can drink your morning coffee and enjoy the view of your industrial surroundings in all of its raw, utilitarian glory:
    Suite (3).png
    Having a personal suite of your own means that you not only get to have your own private place to sleep, but also your own private place to eat... and cook... notice the display:
    Suite (4).png

A lounge with a bar, a large table, comfy couches, some electronics and a POOL TABLE:
    Suite (5).png

A gym, not only so that you have the opportunity to compensate your long nights at the bar, but also to maintain a good regular exercise routine, which is always a "must" in space:
    Suite (6).png
    Unlike the lounge at the basement, mostly meant for gathering with friends and colleagues, the living room of the top floor is all your's. Has a large couch, a book self, some studio-level sound gear, an aquarium/terrarium, and a home cinema system:
    Suite (7).png

Coziness amped to the max in this lights-off shot of the bedroom. Sweet dreams:
    Suite (8).png

Approachable from the living room, is a dome-covered garden with sizable trees, flower beds, a koi fish fountain, and an armchair for the times when you really need to collect your thoughts or find your most tranquil state of mind:
    Suite (9).png

Suite (10).png

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Hello again all!

All entries have been submitted (alas after a busy few weeks I have been unable to submit my entry on time) and the voting will now commence. The original post has been edited to mark these submissions inside of it and to also introduce the next section of the competition:

Section 2 - Generating Developments

Finishing your morning routine and setting yourself up for the day you are ready to head to work. Your team have been working on a prototype for a new series of power reactors. You have designs for this prototype to shape the future of your faction/company's ship building developments and to make drastic improvements to the previous fleet models existing power system.

After several hours of tinkering and modifications your team have finally finished developing the initial prototype, a magnificent work of art even if you say so yourself. It has taken a long time to create the designs and many failed attempts before this new prototype could emerge, but only under your motivational and careful leadership could it finally come to fruition! You and your team gaze upon the prototype, a glint of pride in your eyes...

In this section of the story you have been tasked with designing an aesthetic power generator. The rules will be as follows:
    1. Up to a maximum size of 80 power reactor blocks / Level 8 reactor (Other blocks not limited)
    2. Stabilisers not required at this stage (aesthetic on the reactor alone and therefore capped at 25% stabilisation at this stage)

This task is focused on your detailing of 'feature' components for ships and stations. It is flagged as '
    Special' as this current project will feature later in other sections. Stabilisers can be skipped because they may end up subject to change in later sections of the competition (through your discretion).

The due date for this section of the competition will be on the 26/06/2019 (4 weeks starting the day after this post). This should give plenty of time for people to come up with designs and also allows time for people to make their votes on the previous section, where voting will end on the same date!

If you believe the power reactor block maximum of 80 to be too small we can discuss increasing it to 100 power reactor blocks, however as a prototype smaller models are generally advised. As stated the other blocks you use in your design are not limited in size.

Thank you for your entries so far and I look forward to seeing more entries as we progress together through this storyline.

Last edited: