Storage Remove Confirm Prompt

Q1: easy implementation? Q2: do you want this feature?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    please for the love of god add a prompt when attempting to remove storage blocks with items in saying
    this storage block still has items in it are you sure you want to remove it i cant tell you how stressful and upsetting it is to accidentally destroy it and rush franticly to store everything, not everything can always be saved surely this is a simple feature to implement but it would be WELL received..

Reactions: alij331
    Reaction score
    I Agree. The same prompt could be used for Shipyard computers and factories too, to prevent resources from being lost. I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally deleted a storage block or a shipyard computer, when I'm distracted, or otherwise go derp.

I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to implement, because ship cores already have a prompt like this when being removed.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Very much true, a long time ago we had a similar thought: ⚓ T102 Safety element: Removing blocks

This should not take much effort to implement, but it can take a bit longer to get it just right as there are quite a lot of special cases to account for as mentioned in T102.

Great suggestion to only do it for those inventories that are in-use, seems a no-brainer in hindsight but we definitely didn't think about it back then ^^

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Very much true, a long time ago we had a similar thought: ⚓ T102 Safety element: Removing blocks

This should not take much effort to implement, but it can take a bit longer to get it just right as there are quite a lot of special cases to account for as mentioned in T102.

Great suggestion to only do it for those inventories that are in-use, seems a no-brainer in hindsight but we definitely didn't think about it back then ^^
    Would it be easier to just have a prompt regardless? Then you don't have to worry about compiling a list or generating endless condition code in order to check.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Would it be easier to just have a prompt regardless? Then you don't have to worry about compiling a list or generating endless condition code in order to check.
    Well, you have to check which block you're removing anyway. It doesn't take much more to check for other conditions. There's only 7-8 ish blocks that need this safety check, and half of them already use the exact same system (inventory) to check for.

I mostly overestimated the amount of special cases, it's really not much at all (and it's already implemented now).

klawxx

Product Manager - Roden Shipyards
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Likeable
    Please do this, should be easy to implement...

Reaction score
    Well, you have to check which block you're removing anyway. It doesn't take much more to check for other conditions. There's only 7-8 ish blocks that need this safety check, and half of them already use the exact same system (inventory) to check for.

I mostly overestimated the amount of special cases, it's really not much at all (and it's already implemented now).
    can you clarify? are you saying you have completed a system with similar features ready for implementation in the coming update?

Reaction score
    I tried this in dev .172, and it didn't work.

I built a little storage stack, put in some stuff, let it sit there a while, and then deleted the storage. Game gave no warning whatsoever when deleting a storage that isn't empty, and stuff in the storage ended up in space. Also tried on a couple of factories and a shipyard computer, with the same results. Tried on both a ship and on a station, as well. Clearly it's not working, or there's some setting I missed to enable.

Reaction score
    The safety check is in a dev build already, since a few day ago.
    thank you for listening to myself and the communities thoughts on this matter and for the efforts of yourself and any involved who worked on this feature :)

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    I tried this in dev .172, and it didn't work.

I built a little storage stack, put in some stuff, let it sit there a while, and then deleted the storage. Game gave no warning whatsoever when deleting a storage that isn't empty, and stuff in the storage ended up in space. Also tried on a couple of factories and a shipyard computer, with the same results. Tried on both a ship and on a station, as well. Clearly it's not working, or there's some setting I missed to enable.
    Apparently my changes got lost somehow...I'll re-add it. Thanks for the notice.

Note, the safety check is not applied for astronaut mode removal.

JumpSuit

Lost-Legacy Director
    Reaction score
    Note, the safety check is not applied for astronaut mode removal.
    That would be nice if that wasn't the case, it is quite annoying pressing the wrong key and accidentally deleting a storage with millions of volume worth of cargo into space...

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    That would be nice if that wasn't the case, it is quite annoying pressing the wrong key and accidentally deleting a storage with millions of volume worth of cargo into space...
    You have to hold right click for at least a second or so before the block you're looking at is removed, and your range is about 1 meters. Not really sure how you would accidentally remove something important as an astronaut.

JumpSuit

Lost-Legacy Director
    Reaction score
    You have to hold right click for at least a second or so before the block you're looking at is removed, and your range is about 1 meters. Not really sure how you would accidentally remove something important as an astronaut.
    Oh trust me when i say this: it can most certainly happen... at least make it optional within configs... that'd be very neat-o!

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I mean it can happen, just a bit less likely. Don't see a reason not to have it. Also good for the sake of consistency.