Read by Council Storage contents transfer

Should there be automatic cargo transfer between docked entities?

• Yes

Votes: 45 95.7%
    • No

Votes: 1 2.1%
    • Don't Care

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    As for using docked rails and storage I would think the best way to configure the direction of pull being like this. (Assuming entity A is docked to B.)
    Entity A has a rail docker as the master with a slaved storage block, on entity B there is a master storage with a slave connection to the rail. The master storage on B would end up pulling from the slaved storage on A, much like how storage transfer works on the same entity.
    That would then allow the reverse to happen, and a master storage on A with the rail docker as the slave would be able to pull from any storage slaved to the rail on B.

After that the control of items following to/from these storage blocks would work like it does now and can be controlled very well with logic.

As for my bit about salvage beams.
    You could have a little salvage beam for pulling items from an exposed storage, which could work both ways to load items from or to a ship or a cargo box. This could be used to ignore the slaving/docking aspects of transfer which would be better for trading between ships of different factions.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    As for using docked rails and storage I would think the best way to configure the direction of pull being like this. (Assuming entity A is docked to B.)
    Entity A has a rail docker as the master with a slaved storage block, on entity B there is a master storage with a slave connection to the rail. The master storage on B would end up pulling from the slaved storage on A, much like how storage transfer works on the same entity.
    That would then allow the reverse to happen, and a master storage on A with the rail docker as the slave would be able to pull from any storage slaved to the rail on B.

After that the control of items following to/from these storage blocks would work like it does now and can be controlled very well with logic.

As for my bit about salvage beams.
    You could have a little salvage beam for pulling items from an exposed storage, which could work both ways to load items from or to a ship or a cargo box. This could be used to ignore the slaving/docking aspects of transfer which would be better for trading between ships of different factions.
    this is what i had in mind

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yeah, I pretty much just rephrased what you stated and added in examples. ^_^
    It is a great idea and I hope it becomes part of the rail system.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    +1

Better than offloading your spoils/ore in astronaut mode.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    I've suggested this before the pulling from storage came out. and really, it is simple, connect a wireless block to each storage and treat it like normal. I also restate, that shops need to be included in this, to have a shop pull from the ship storage would be grand for a shop owner.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    ...shops need to be included in this, to have a shop pull from the ship storage would be grand for a shop owner.
    Make shops sell from linked storage blocks. Instead of having to enter the shop menu and add the things you want to sell, you can just put it in a storage block. I would love this because my shops on servers usually sell advanced armors, so I could set the factories to produce them, and the storage pull would put them in the shop for me. 100% automatic.

Reactions: kookster
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Make shops sell from linked storage blocks. Instead of having to enter the shop menu and add the things you want to sell, you can just put it in a storage block. I would love this because my shops on servers usually sell advanced armors, so I could set the factories to produce them, and the storage pull would put them in the shop for me. 100% automatic.
    Yeah plus you could also set it up to pull stuff from the shop as well (so if anyone gives you ore or capsules you can take them and put them into your factories.

Reactions: Micro753
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Going to go ahead and bump this since its fallen so far down into the pages and this really needs to be part of the game.

To rehash what the OP wants: Slaving storage to rails and rail dockers to act like the storage blocks are slaved to the other object.

We have a fantastic ability to control the flow of items in a cargo area with logic and pull settings, but they don't do jack to help you unload or load a ship up.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I think it would be best for a storage transfer to simply be an option added to the entity menu that becomes available when docked and have two special storage blocks called "Cargo Transfer Unit" that has to be grouped to expand, making a universal source and destination, simply so the devs and the system doesn't have to try and deal with a bajillion different storage box names.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    sorry to bump such an old thread but i was easier than explaining the idea again

i mostly want to ask the devs (Bench) if transferring storage between entities will be possible with the new cargo system and how it will be achieved? i.d. will it be like described in the OP or will it look different? and if it will be different how will it be done?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    It was confirmed in the Q&A, but no details were given. This should probably be changed to planned?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    It was confirmed in the Q&A, but no details were given. This should probably be changed to planned?
    thanks i missed the Q&A because it was all night. can the devs give any indication of how it would work?

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I love the idea of using rails, but we should really just use like a transport beam.

Works like the power drain beam but must hit a cargo area or cargo computer directly. Gotta have shields down or direct access to the area/computer

Simple and still in the games meta.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Works like the power drain beam but must hit a cargo area or cargo computer directly.
    that then makes it nesasery to have your cargo aria exposed on the outside of your ship. i dont think this is such a good thing

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    that then makes it nesasery to have your cargo aria exposed on the outside of your ship. i dont think this is such a good thing
    Not really, You could use a plex door or an awesome rails door.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    plex doors often block beams and rail doors are defensless below 50% shileds