Read by Council Storage contents transfer

Should there be automatic cargo transfer between docked entities?

• Yes

Votes: 45 95.7%
    • No

Votes: 1 2.1%
    • Don't Care

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    i was thinking about the tedium of transferring between ship and station after a mining run and thought that it might work to have the storage auto transferred to a station when docking. this would be achieved by connecting a storage to the rail docker as slave or master depending on the direction of cargo flow. there would then be a storage connected to the rail that would have the auto pull and filter settings. when a ship docked to the rail the cargo would be transferred based on the pull settings and tick timer of the storage receiving the cargo. to achieve two way transfer you would need 2 storages on each side of the dock. this would also require the ship to not be moving on the rail that the storage is connected to for the entire extent of the tick to enable the transfer to take place.

please forgive me if this has already bean covered (if it has can you please post link to said discussion).

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    If you look at the top of the screen where you see the shop menu there is something that looks like a trade / transfer button. I so want that to be functional.

This idea would be very nice, and I support it. Could be used to fill a cargo container before sending it off.

Reactions: TomW1605
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    please give me your opinion through ether a vote or comment or both as i would very much like to know if this is popular with the comunity

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm not sure about the actual mechanics and implementation, but the idea has merit.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I'm not sure about the actual mechanics and implementation
    i agree but i think compared to some of the other things in the game it cant be that hard.

devs please correct me if i am wrong

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    If you look at the top of the screen where you see the shop menu there is something that looks like a trade / transfer button. I so want that to be functional.
    Normally they don't put in buttons for features they don't have yet. That's been like the one exception.

Reaction score
    I so very much want this added. I think the idea of linking the storage to rails is not a bad way of going about it. I would make it so the entity that is losing the items has to push them to the other. Not Pull. I could see that possibly getting abused by trolls.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I could see that possibly getting abused by trolls.
    How would you set up the push though? It's something that people need to be careful about when docking to other stations, but I'm not if a push list would be more complex than a pull one.

Reaction score
    I don't know. But I could see people abusing it the other way around. So we need to think of some way to at least limit any possible abuse.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Maybe if the attached storage is deactivated, you can't pull stuff across entities with it?

Reaction score
    dur why didnt i think of this... So you have your main storage and then the storage that can get pulled. When you want to auto unload just turn on the pulling with the storage that can get pulled. Problem solved. What do you think?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1436806049,1436805944][/DOUBLEPOST]Can you turn off pulling with logic? Havent messed with that before. If you can then you could easily make it controllable from within the ship. That would be pretty awesome.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yeah, you can turn storage pull on/off with logic. I've done it before.

Reaction score
    Have a registration system. Person docks, someone with permissions on the station opens up the rail, and clicks "Register docked entity for storage transfer", and now items can go across. This would avert any naughtiness by other factions.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Very complitcated, plus you'd have to register all of your cargo containers on all of the ships you needed.

Reaction score
    No, you'd only need to register each ship, not each storage block, and the registration would be station wide, not per rail. Anyway, just a thought. I can't think of any other means of security, unless you only let factioned ships of like faction, globally.

Reaction score
    it would be much easier just to select the rail docker and link the storage.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This setup would also allow people to use salvaging turrets without needing to clear each turret out.

Now if salvage beams could pull contents from a storage box and we had this system we could make lots of complex storage transfer systems.

Reaction score
    I think we're talking about different things, kookster. I mean in terms of the station allowing a ship to push items into whatever storage might be configured, I don't mean how the storage is configured.

Yes, in the end, one would bind storage on the station to the rail via C-V.