Stations with Jumpdrive

Reaction score
    I would really like more mobile stations, but still keep them "station-like" or lacking a true ship's mobility.

I was thinking about letting them install and use jumpdrives.

With that they can jump around to follow a fleet or player, but the lack of thrusters/engines will mean they will still be more or less immobile in a tactical sense.

Of course this functionality should be unavailable for the faction's homebase (as it's not destructible).

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    Um... I cannot see any validity to your proposal. sorry.

Reaction score
    So, a capital ship? What you're describing has already been suggested and is planned, though not exactly like this. And for the record, stations are meant to be stationary, not mobile. Otherwise, they are not stations at all, just a different kind of ship.

Reaction score
    So, a capital ship?
    No, a station that can be relocated but isn't a ship. Jump drive is not an engine that allows precise movement, so you can't really be effective in combat against ships that can simply move around.

What you're describing has already been suggested and is planned, though not exactly like this.
    If I wanted just to install factories/shipyards on ships I would have just added a "mee too" to other similar suggestions (I know how to use search function)

And for the record, stations are meant to be stationary, not mobile. Otherwise, they are not stations at all, just a different kind of ship.
    Many real-life structures are technically movable even if the are supposed to be stationary for most of their service life (oil rigs for example), stations are just another example, they are just big satellites not touching anything else, there is no real reason to have them rooted in place permanently.

That's why I'm saying that allowing to relocate stations with in-game systems like a simple jump drive is cooler than:
    -blueprint it or use the build mode copy-paste function,
    -nuke the whole thing with remove mode of advanced build mode,
    -go somewhere else with a ship,
    -spawn the same station with the same blocks out of thin air (which is what I can do right now).

Or when they eventually remove the blueprint system and move all the building to shipyards or in-game structures anyway (I think this was planned for ships at least), you could have the stations built in there too, and moved to their final location with the jumpdrive.
    [doublepost=1487256336,1487255845][/doublepost]
    Um... I cannot see any validity to your proposal. sorry.
    Why? You prefer having ships with factories/shipyards?
    You think it is exploitable?
    You are fine with having to tear down stations to relocate them?
    Else?

Please explain why, just saying "I don't like it" is not really useful critique.

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    Why? You prefer having ships with factories/shipyards?
    Eh?

You think it is exploitable?
    Entirely.

You are fine with having to tear down stations to relocate them?
    Yes.

Eh?

Please explain why, just saying "I don't like it" is not really useful critique.
    I didn't, I said I cannot see any validity to your idea. That's a critique - like it or not. It is for you to validate your proposal.

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    "I don't like it"
    For the second time - I did not say that.

Stating I cannot see any validity to your proposal is explaning that I cannot see any validity to your proposal.

- and, the exploitation should be obvious.

Reaction score
    I didnt say that.
    Stating I cannot see any validity to your proposal is explaning that I cannot see any validity to your proposal.
    That is still an opinion until you explain why.

I mean, I just asked if you could explain, you can just refuse to, but what you are doing now is just weird.

Last edited:

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    That is still an opinion until you explain why.

I mean, I just asked if you could explain, you can just refuse to, but what you are doing now is just weird.
    Simple. Do you want people to be able to camp homebases together for sieges? Because this would allow for that. Do you want people to be able to move their station the moment people find it? Because this would allow for that. (Absolutely un-killable claim stations.)

Reactions: Sachys
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I could see having a big, expensive system which can jump a station once, consuming that system and its blocks. But that might be better suited to a mod IMO.

Reaction score
    Simple. Do you want people to be able to camp homebases together for sieges? Because this would allow for that. Do you want people to be able to move their station the moment people find it? Because this would allow for that. (Absolutely un-killable claim stations.)
    Of course this functionality should be unavailable for the faction's homebase (as it's not destructible).
    It wasn't even 20 lines!:cry::cry::cry: How!!!

Reaction score
    I could see having a big, expensive system which can jump a station once, consuming that system and its blocks. But that might be better suited to a mod IMO.
    Sure, it may make sense to give this jumpdrive a BIG default recharge time, so the station relocation is far slower than moving materials around with a jumpdrive ship, but consumables are annoying to use and don't really add much anyway (open build mode, place another one with copy-paste, activate).

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    The number of lines I'm willing to read scales proportionally to the quality of the suggestion. Additionally, I don't like exceptions to systems.

Exceptions are the tumors of gameplay mechanics, while they're bad on their own, they are evidence of a far more serious underlying issue. For this suggestion, that far more underlying issue is cancer.

Reaction score
    And he even got a like by Sachys, Sachys was that the "obvious exploitation" you mentioned mysteriously?
    [doublepost=1487277163,1487276968][/doublepost]
    The number of lines I'm willing to read scales proportionally to the quality of the suggestion.
    You already made a fool of yourself by posting without reading the OP, don't make matters worse .

Additionally, I don't like exceptions to systems.

Exceptions are the tumors of gameplay mechanics, while they're bad on their own, they are evidence of a far more serious underlying issue. For this suggestion, that far more underlying issue is cancer.
    The special exception is that homebases are indestructible, that has to be fixed.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    And he even got a like by Sachys, Sachys was that the "obvious exploitation" you mentioned mysteriously?
    [doublepost=1487277163,1487276968][/doublepost]You already made a fool of yourself by posting without reading the OP, don't make matters worse .

The special exception is that homebases are indestructible, that has to be fixed.
    Oh my feelings are so hurt, people are attacking a singular point of my argument while ignoring another crucial aspect. What about claim stations? You know, the second thing I mentioned in my two line response. I could make a claim station that keeps hundreds of drives charged up to 100%, ready to fire the moment anyone loads the station in. Jump drive inhibitors fail at that point, as the logic loads in faster than the metadata for the JD's.

This suggestion is cancer af, and I figure you're the faith healer to go with it.

Reaction score
    What about claim stations? I could make a claim station that keeps hundreds of drives charged up to 100%, ready to fire the moment anyone loads the station in. Jump drive inhibitors fail at that point, as the logic loads in faster than the metadata for the JD's.
    True dat, but this is not an issue of my suggestion. If inhibitors are not working when they should, that's their own issue and that should be fixed regardless. Or not?

This suggestion is cancer af, and I figure you're the faith healer to go with it.
    Has this forum section been renamed into "Suggestion Dismissing Contest" while I wasn't looking perhaps? ("cancer", "faith healer", lol, really?)

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    This will never happen.

Why? Simple. Have you ever moved a station using admin warp? The game is not happy. Warp gates are instantly broken, the map has a fit trying to work out where it should put the station marker and general retardation ensues.

Before you say "Oh, well the game has to be fixed", remember that the game doesn't change to implement the suggestion, the suggestion needs to fit within the game. Until Schine do a rework of Jumpdrives and similar mechanics, this is how it works and any suggestions need to fit with those mechanics.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If Capitals are so big, that they effectively can't turn faster than a planet and can't even evade an asteroid impact controlled by a little drone, why should they be mobile? (EDIT: with thrust)

Here you have your mobile station. (EDIT with jump)

BTW: Perhaps shine could keep some sectors completely empty for warping stations - so that you can effectively transfer everything in one sector to another empty sector in a neighbour system.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    This will never happen.
    I'm really starting to think this is the "Suggestion Dismissing Contest" forum section.

Why? Simple. Have you ever moved a station using admin warp? The game is not happy. Warp gates are instantly broken, the map has a fit trying to work out where it should put the station marker and general retardation ensues.
    Newsflash, Starmade is Alpha-grade software.

Most stuff is either a placeholder, horribly broken, will need a ton of rework/tuning anyway, or a combination of them, so yeah, when they rework or actually implement stuff and that HAS to happen anyway for other reasons (for example the map is plain broken, updating the navigation names of stations only on relog? No icon colors for friend/foe? I can't friggin see the icon for stations I placed myself? You think they don't need to rework that quite a bit someday?) they can keep in mind suggestions like mine too.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I often think: how can the devs even get the game running on all the different hardware and still have learned so few about balance.

And i would really like a "Suggestion Dismissing Contest" for real - a forum where you can let 3 others look for a flaw before you start a more serious thread about it, having the op fixed.