Starmade's biggest underlying issue

Reaction score
    This is not a suggestion; there will be no talk of warp drives and wishful thinking. Rather this is a discussion on what may be one of starmade's core and most pressing issues, player engagement.

As human beings we have a tendency to jump straight to solutions instead of trying to understand what exactly the problem is. This is especially true with game development, more importantly public game development and play testing. As many great ideas as there are on the forums, reddit, and well... just about everywhere, from a game developer's perspective these suggestions are pretty meaningless if they don't work towards the very thing video games were made for: fun.

starmade has a problem, a big one. That problem is that it is just not very compelling. time and time again I see people who are interested in the game pick it up and play around with the creative tools, only never to play it again. Why is that? Well it might be that the only really engaging aspect is building, there really isn't much else that defines the game. If you look at some of the most successful creative games; terraria and minecraft , they have all the flexibility of a creative sandbox but they have the reward systems and consistent tension and risk that come within any other well-made interactive experience. What makes these games successful are that people who aren’t creatively inclined or don’t want to play with friends can still see the appeal. This underlying appeal and gamification not only makes the game fun but strengthens the creative aspects and makes our creations that much more meaningful.

We as players need a reason to keep flying. Maybe we keep flying because each new asteroid has the promise of fuel so we can get back home, or maybe we keep flying so we can find the schematic for that really cool missile launcher to counteract some other player’s First Order Optimal Strategy. Maybe the thing that gives meaning to our creations is something we haven’t even thought up yet but makes starmade just that much better.

Simply put starmade has a real engagement issue, and the longer we wait in the development cycle to start working on this issue, the harder and more expensive it will be to fix it. That being said, it is early enough in the development cycle that it hasn't become a huge problem, and I have high hopes for the game and the dev team and can’t wait to see what comes next.

Good luck schema

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The GUI is not Schema\'s main issue right now.

Chat is very basic

The shop has per default all items and does not inherit prices from a category or ability to bulk-edit (basic hull, advanced, etc) and all shops are the same.

There are no valueables. Everything is just too common.

StarMade has no choke-points which are valueable to fight for, as everything can be found everywhere and travel speed is everywhere the same + no AI interceptors.

There is no real downside in using big ships all the time.

Blocks are so big that you can not make interesting interior-details.

I think all above is easy to fix - independent on how far the developement is!

Just the last point may be worse as players worry about their existing ships, but that will be neither worse nor better in future.

It is not perfect to attract players. I prefer this game to Space Engineers mainly for being playable on linux and the reputation of Space Engineer devs and worry the most about artificial building restrictions (like only advanced tools are the 10x10x10 placement and mirrows).

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    understand what stage of game development the game is actually in. If you go by IBM\'s software development cycle, then the game is currently in the alpha phase. In your case, the developer pushes out content to the general public when he feels it is ready, and then uses you to test that content. Since you brought up the successfulness of Minecraft, you do realize that when Minecraft was young it was very plain and very feature barren. Are you suggesting that Schema speed up the pace at which he produces more content in order to compete or something of that nature? In my opinion, I believe Schema has been doing a great job. One can\'t just simply add more fearures at the drop of a hat. (i.e. programming can require large amounts of time and effort)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    One can\'t just simply add more fearures at the drop of a hat. (i.e. programming can require large amounts of time and effort)

I know.

But what I said above is mainly about configuration, less about code. If we get an editable api or interface, the community would fix most things by their own.

You could just register static functions by their name and argument types/count. Either just add \"_IIS\" for the arguments: integer integer string, or add a list of overloads each containing a list of parameters... for a config file.

Or abduct the ship-block and docking codes for a only-render non-collidable ship/station which is a texture-able overlay...

With lua for dynamic parameters, players could build their own menues now :)

Reaction score
    First Order Optimal Strategy

We need a lot less of that. Thanks for knowing your gaming lingo.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    You know this is an alpha?

There are many things to come,
    some things are being worked on, others need implementation, even more are good ideas, we read, but cannot implement right away, since there are many other things that need to be done first.

Compare it to Minecraft in early alpha again. This one is far beyond minecraft alpha status.

- Andy