Starmade Visualization

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Here's my node setup for t000 within cycles.

I've created extra maps to define areas of textures that are glass and emissive.
    There's actually 2 emissive maps, 1 for dull things (screens, cannon barrels) and one for bright things (lights, crystals)
    sweet! did you create you're own emission maps or did u use the ones in the game files? speaking of which i cant find the EM maps for blocks. would really help make things glow
    [doublepost=1471928504,1471928359][/doublepost]i also made some improvements to the fly by animation.
    i fixed the transparencies of blocks as well as smoothed out the camera movement. I also figured out a way to make blocks like ice crystals glow however the method is very tedious. im trying to figure out a way to make it easier

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Emissive maps are stored in half of the normal map alpha, you'll need to go and separate them out to a separate map.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Emissive maps are stored in half of the normal map alpha, you'll need to go and separate them out to a separate map.
    wait are they actually in the normal map pictures? could i use a program like photoshop to separate them?
    [doublepost=1471929096,1471928951][/doublepost]

We now need a whole series made using that kind of stuff HOLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTT
    hehe. i like the results so far. I'll be looking into making full blown animated shorts as I get better with blender

Reactions: Reilly Reese
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    yeah, open the normal.TGA in photoshop and look at the alpha channel (in the channels tab). It's only half of the channel (either first half black to 50%, or 50% to white) the other half is for specular.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    yeah, open the normal.TGA in photoshop and look at the alpha channel (in the channels tab). It's only half of the channel (either first half black to 50%, or 50% to white) the other half is for specular.
    oh ok I see. Was opening the wrong file. is there a way to save the alpha channel as completely separate image? never messed around with channels before

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Okey so last night I spend several hours creating my own maps just to find out they already exist? .-. Now I feel stupid

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sorry to be spamming up your thread a little bit, but I've added some more 'stuff' to my material setup in blender!
    No worries haha, thats what the thread is about. Wow you are doing exactly what I want to do with the difference that you are succeding xD
    The reflexions in C4D are giving me a headache right now. Recently they changed the way it works and all the tutorials are still made for previous versions :(

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    If this was only the actual ingame lighting ;-;

Gonna try myself on this stuff later :)

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Sorry to be spamming up your thread a little bit, but I've added some more 'stuff' to my material setup in blender!

Once I find a way i'll export the material setup I have for others to use!

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    Ya'll are doing a 3D thread and no one tagged me?! :O Seriously though this is great work everybody, I love seeing what people do with it. Also this is a big reason why sprites are getting a push to be 3D models now, so you won't have to deal with the alpha issues of capsules, light rods, and plants. :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    After further testing I realized that my small ship does no longer help to really test characteristics of all the different settings. Since I have never finished any larger builds I decided to use one of SkylordLuke 's stations :). I mostly played with reflections which you will notice in the open hangars.

Reaction score
    Once again, this silly forum is missing the "Awe-Inspiring" option. Excellent job.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I've recently managed to import both asteroids and planet plates

both were pretty tricky to import as you will need to use Megacrafter127 's Blueprint Converter. Just targeting the planet plate/asteroid and typing the "/save" command should do the trick to get them into your blueprint folder. Then just use the converter to change them into a ship. Then go back into the game and load them up (hint-the converter will make a new blueprint with the prefix "ship_" so search the "S"). now all you need to do it get inside them with a build block and export the normal way although when you import it into blender you will have to manually delete the build block and save the file again.

also some advise. importing a planet plate could be very taxing on your hardware. the one i did was from a R300+ planet and the .obj file for it was over 300mb. It took a minute plus for it to even load into blender. perhaps importing smaller planet plates would be better.

lastly, Saber I'm having trouble opening certain 3d model files for the game such as the player model as well as the other 3d player items. can only certain programs open/import those files? cuz I cant with blender

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I can't wait till the exporter has more options. The old 3rd party 3d exporter (I used UnknownProcess' SM2OBJ program before chunk32 broke it) had options for exporting alpha, emissive, specular, and texture all as separate files, and allowed you to export something without having to jump into it in-game. All of these were major pluses, and if it were up to date, I'd be using SM2OBJ over the in game exporter as it stands now.

Aside from that, I have no pretty pictures because I suck at Blender, and my computer is too terrible to make anything nice looking. I wish I could use Cinema4d like I was taught in school.