Starmade Visualization

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    In this thread I want to share my first experiences with 3D exporting and also want to encourage you to
    post your own experiences!

So recently Starmade got the feature to export 3D models that can further be used by 3D editing software. So far it doesn't seem to get much attention but personally I got quite hyped when I first read about it!

I think this new option has a huge potential for the presentation of starmade content.
    So far I have very little experiences about visualizing 3D raleted content but Starmade (just as Minecraft, etc..) gives us a great way to quickly create appealing results. Since I will need this kind of knowledge for my future career anyways, this feels like a great start to dig into it.
    [doublepost=1471719960,1471719724][/doublepost]Okey,
    firstly I imported a ship into Vectorworks, a 3D editing software that I use on a daily basis. If you want to start working with .objs and such, I don't recommend this software... I just happend to learn it.
    For this test I used one of my ships made for the Fleet Contest. My plan is to create a proper Presentation of my fleet using non-ingame images. I also chose this ship since it's relatively small and has a nice silhouette :)

Here are some impressions playing with the viewing options...

...After the import, not bad!

As you can see the programm has a an error showing cans. This happens when the software is not reading the alpha channel.

The export also contains docked entities!

First rendered view.

Last edited:

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Awesome stuff! I'm was also experimenting with the new model export. Instead of vector works I used Blender. After a few days of learning I was able to make this.

looks like blender also has trouble with the non block entities as the white sparkling bits are suppose to be blue rod lights. I wonder if theres something schine could do to fix this.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Awesome stuff! I'm was also experimenting with the new model export. Instead of vector works I used Blender. After a few days of learning I was able to make this.

looks like blender also has trouble with the non block entities as the white sparkling bits are suppose to be blue rod lights. I wonder if theres something schine could do to fix this.
    Sweet!
    About the sprites, I used to have a program that let me export Minecraft schematics just like Starmade does now but the exported file had an extra texture that only contained all the alpha channels. If schine somehow integrates those we should be able to fix the issue.
    Does blender have trouble with all non block entities? Because for me it's only the entities made out of two planes that don't show up properly.

Reactions: NITRON100

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Sweet!
    About the sprites, I used to have a program that let me export Minecraft schematics just like Starmade does now but the exported file had an extra texture that only contained all the alpha channels. If schine somehow integrates those we should be able to fix the issue.
    Does blender have trouble with all non block entities? Because for me it's only the entities made out of two planes that don't show up properly.
    Theres pipes in that design and they appear to be ok. looks like its just the 2d blocks like light rods and capsules that blender has trouble with.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2

.... That ship looks so amazing o_o

Spinny things are my weakness.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Good news! I found a way to fix the 2d entities! This should even fix things like metalgrills and such but I haven't tested it.

Here shown with Cinema 4D:

I created 3 alpha channels for the 3 textures in the exported model. Now I haven't used Blender for a long time so I don't remember how you use those maps but I know that there is a way to use them.
    I tried to upload the maps as a .zip folder but this forum doesn't let me :/ I hope imgurs uploads are lossless...

t000alpha: http://i.imgur.com/fuEgor9.png
    t001alpha: http://i.imgur.com/rWs1SVr.png
    t002alpha: http://i.imgur.com/AeBzuv7.png

I suggest you to name the files arccordingly so they don't get mixed up.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    thank you. its a complete refit that i'll hopefully be able to release soon.

I've also done a small fly by animation.

We now need a whole series made using that kind of stuff HOLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTT

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Ohhh yay a 3d thread!
    So i started screwing around with the 3d exporter before it was 'offcially' added.
    I already had my materials/emissives/transparencies sorted out within blender cycles.

Wow whis is very inspiring! How did you make the background? Does it emit light?

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Ohhh yay a 3d thread!
    So i started screwing around with the 3d exporter before it was 'offcially' added.
    I already had my materials/emissives/transparencies sorted out within blender cycles.

leave it to crusade to always be ahead of the curve. how did you manage to get the textures working in blender cycles? whenever i tried to use cycles render the textures never worked.

Darkkon

The Harlequin Builder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    leave it to crusade to always be ahead of the curve. how did you manage to get the textures working in blender cycles? whenever i tried to use cycles render the textures never worked.
    Because Crusade is crazy good at graphics......scarily good.......he is Cru Good.....that was a terrible pun.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    Good news! I found a way to fix the 2d entities! This should even fix things like metalgrills and such but I haven't tested it.

Here shown with Cinema 4D:

I created 3 alpha channels for the 3 textures in the exported model. Now I haven't used Blender for a long time so I don't remember how you use those maps but I know that there is a way to use them.
    I tried to upload the maps as a .zip folder but this forum doesn't let me :/ I hope imgurs uploads are lossless...

t000alpha: http://i.imgur.com/fuEgor9.png
    t001alpha: http://i.imgur.com/rWs1SVr.png
    t002alpha: http://i.imgur.com/AeBzuv7.png

I suggest you to name the files arccordingly so they don't get mixed up.
    Thanks but i managed to figure out how to make them transparent in blender by just using some settings. for anyone whos curious this video taught me how.
    just be sure to have the appropriate material selected in order for the these settings to work.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Here's my node setup for t000 within cycles.

I've created extra maps to define areas of textures that are glass and emissive.
    There's actually 2 emissive maps, 1 for dull things (screens, cannon barrels) and one for bright things (lights, crystals)