StarMade v0.199.214 Auxiliary Power, Better Graphics, Better Textures, and Bugfixes

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I understand where he's coming from, but with new features like fleets, the need for giant ships with docked reactors has lessened. They were a cool way to get past a limitation, but they had there own issues.

This new system, which just came out and needs actual in game testing, might be a good answer to that problem and create new design decisions. Or it might not.

But crying about something you've lost, knowing that they've been looking for other solutions, doesn't help.
    This is only removing features to limit, or restrict the players.

We're not crying, we're saying why this system, why so lackluster? Why add a system which clearly doesn't require the complexity that previous reactor designs required? The whole point of starmade to me is construction, and you just removed 50% of the complexity from it, and replaced it with a lol 10x10x10 block that's covered in advanced armor.

The problem with this entire thing, is this only further promotes titans as "meta" ships as bigger ship = more space = less likely to get hit = more regen = more dps = massive missiles = nothing has changed.

Small ships can't use this new power system, if they did, they'd be blown apart.

I've already heard of people wanting to ghost block these just to get around the fact that they explode.

Reactions: Sachys

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Sorry mate, and you think that having someones ship actually fucking explode is going to be less laggy
    Considering it explodes, slowly, over the course of minutes instead of instantly in a single moment, yes.

Let me suggest this. Let's give it more than an hour or two before we completely throw the idea out the window alright?

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I am saying it as it is. Are you saying that your post is how you respond to criticism from a competent builder?
    I'm saying that having an actual discussion about it, and giving the new system a chance is a start. Crying about it won't help your position.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Sorry mate, and you think that having someones ship actually fucking explode is going to be less laggy
    Considering that collision checks account for a hell of a lot of the lag in Starmade, yes.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Considering it explodes, slowly, over the course of minutes instead of instantly in a single moment, yes.

Let me suggest this. Let's give it more than an hour or two before we completely throw the idea out the window alright?
    Bruv, have you even see a large grouping of these things explode?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    It is less laggy.

1) Dock six large bricks of whatever block inside an even larger chunk of thrusters and power.
    2) Link an activator to all of the rail blocks that are being used to dock the bricks.
    3) Activate the activator.
    4) Observe results.
    5) Once the server's done having a seizure (or once the admin rebooted it after the crash), catch the large 'mothership' somehow or other, or make a new one.
    6) Fire powerful missiles (either Missile/Cannon or multiple computers) at your large brick, with an interval of around 1 second.
    7) Observe results. No need to reboot the server this time, eh?
    [doublepost=1473460500,1473460417][/doublepost]
    Bruv, have you even see a large grouping of these things explode?
    Yes. Aside from nearly killing my ship, it was inconsequential.

Maxajax

Praise the Omnissiah and strike down his foes
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    The elected councilors pushed for a solution, it was a result of discussion between team members and the council.
    So the small-minded fellows who were elected a one or two digit number of votes are to blame for this. Thank you. I will have you know that I am glad that I did not vote for these people.

I ask that they stop representing the demands of incompetent builders, and start giving Schema innovative solutions instead. Maybe then they'll one day represent what's left of the playerbase.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    problem is schine did not solve it, they removed it and replaced it with something that in their eyes works better.
    Guess what docked reactors didn't explode... and each and every turret i had produces it's own energy and the missile turrets store their power they need to fire every 45 seconds in the ship, using the power supply beams instead of trying to store the required power... schine killed that mechanic too and still do not provide a solution to the lag which happens when entitys get shot of. that was their job not trying to make us build different.

so why NERF docked reactors when the "solution" does not fix angled computers and consoles, turrets going loose or in general other docked stuff within ships, enabling us to put our feet below a table... but yeah the generators are the problem...

---

Asking back i was told the community had this "brilliant idea" with aux power ... could we finally agree on that, this entire council, also is a stupid idea and schine better remembers robins vision for what he wanted the game to be like and gets back on track instead of listening to non game designers

Last edited:

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    So the small-minded fellows who were elected a one or two digit number of votes are to blame for this. Thank you. I will have you know that I am glad that I did not vote for these people.

I ask that they stop representing the demands of incompetent builders, and start giving Schema innovative solutions instead. Maybe then they'll one day represent what's left of the playerbase.
    What do you propose?

problem is schine did not solve it, they removed it and replaced it with something that in their eyes works better.
    Guess what docked reactors didn't explode... and each and every turret i had produces it's own energy and the missile turrets store their power they need to fire every 45 seconds in the ship. schine killed that mechanic too and still do not provide a solution to the lag which happens when entitys get shot of. that was their job not trying to make us build different.

so why NERF docked reactors when the "solution" does not fix angled computers and consoles, turrets going loose or in general other docked stuff within ships, enabling us to put our feet below a table... but yeah the generators are the problem...
    The majority of large entities that were causing server issues when they were separated - and the entities that would spend the most time bouncing around inside their chamber lagging the server to hell - were not turrets, not little fancy doors, not turret power-blocks - but docked power injection reactors. That problem is solved. And the behavior of docked reactors immediately losing their benefit for the ship once shot off is simulated by the explosions.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    I actually like that it explodes personally.

Maxajax

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I understand where he's coming from, but with new features like fleets, the need for giant ships with docked reactors has lessened. They were a cool way to get past a limitation, but they had there own issues.

This new system, which just came out and needs actual in game testing, might be a good answer to that problem and create new design decisions. Or it might not.

But crying about something you've lost, knowing that they've been looking for other solutions, doesn't help.
    We're not crying about losing a fucking toy. Docked Reactors had to go. The majority of the playerbase could never use these things without crashing a server. Everyone knew that. We are saying that the solution is unsatisfactory.

There is even a system in the Structure Tab that counts the exact number of individual power axis trees. Why on earth not just give each of those their own soft cap of 1m? Or even 500k? Why glorified warhead blocks?

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    We're not crying about losing a fucking toy. Docked Reactors had to go. The majority of the playerbase could never use these things without crashing a server. Everyone knew that. We are saying that the solution is unsatisfactory.

There is even a system in the Structure Tab that counts the exact number of individual power axis trees. Why on earth not just give each of those their own soft cap of 1m? Or even 500k? Why glorified warhead blocks?
    Well that kind of removes the point of having a softcap in the first place.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    That would mean that building a large ship's power system would just be a question of building the longest/most lines/snakes/power-jellyfish that can be crammed into the ship. This requires actual consideration of how and where you place your reactors.
    Well that kind of removes the point of having a softcap in the first place.
    It does, and I think that's his intention...

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score

From your own update video of all places :P

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 9

Oh, so your rant about all the work and competence was not crying about your lost toys? My misunderstanding then.

The new system adds a layer of decision making and design choices and for all intends and purposes is very new. If you had a better idea that doesn't lead to giganticism, I would be interested in hearing it.

Maxajax

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    They were also never intentional. And until players en-mass started bringing the lag to our attention, we didn't mind. We need to able to actually fly the ships in our game without lag for this entire thing to be considered successful.
    They were horrible, but when used properly, you could have twenty to sixteen of them without any risk of crashing the server. I however, acknowledge that the majority of the players are not good enough to use them properly. I will however repeat that a glorified warhead block is ridiculous.