StarMade V0.19476 Transporters, Activation Gates, Optimizations and more

Reaction score
    I think more frequent smaller updates is a better thing over all. It "should" help to reduce released bugs and fix bugs that are in the wild faster. Major changes and updates would most likely still be further apart like adding fauna.

This of course just my opinion.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but when I harvest the beam appears to harvest from the far side, or at least prioritise the far side instead of the first block it hits.

I tend to line up two or more asteroids for my automated asteroid munching harvester. Last night I noticed it harvested the asteroid further away before the one directly in front of it. Interesting, but not logical.

Schema, could this be a beam focussing/processing issue in general?
    [DOUBLEPOST=1446667844,1446667687][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I think more frequent smaller updates is a better thing over all. It "should" help to reduce released bugs and fix bugs that are in the wild faster. Major changes and updates would most likely still be further apart like adding fauna.

This of course just my opinion.
    Like breaking up updates and fixes into two separate categories and process dates? Bug Fixes bi-weekly, feature updates/changes monthly maybe?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    NICE UPDATE!! I've been playing with the Transporter for the last two days. I really wished there was a block that could make your enemies transporter public access during a battle once you've taken down their shields, even if it was for a few seconds just long enough to get one person or a warhead beamed board their ship. Just to have a real Startrek or Stargate like battle. On the TV shows during a battle they would always find a way get access to the other ship's transporter and either beam a on to the other ship or beam a warhead to the other ship and blow it up.. Just something to make PVP battles more interesting.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Anyone going to build a ring transporter yet? :P Wouldn't be too hard to time it to the transport animation. :)

Reactions: Kij421

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    I think the proper way to do transporters is just to follow Star Trek. You have to lower your shields manually (at least briefly) to transport, and there can't be an active shield on the other end. You have to shoot it out or fool someone in the other end into activating one to drop their shields long enough for you to trigger yours. It was balanced for the sake of story in Star Trek and it sounds game-balanced to me as well.
    I don't really follow Star Trek, but isn't Star Trek solely based around shields during combat? Meaning that if your shields are down completely, you're going to get blown up within 10 seconds (aka pre SHP update ^^)?

I've already seen plenty of ships that have just a basic amount of shields, but the rest was high trust and thick armor. Losing the shield on those ships would not be the same as on a ship that exists out of 60% shield blocks. In fact, I think players on those ships would not even care about it.

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I don't really follow Star Trek, but isn't Star Trek solely based around shields during combat? Meaning that if your shields are down completely, you're going to get blown up within 10 seconds (aka pre SHP update ^^)?

I've already seen plenty of ships that have just a basic amount of shields, but the rest was high trust and thick armor. Losing the shield on those ships would not be the same as on a ship that exists out of 60% shield blocks. In fact, I think players on those ships would not even care about it.
    Almost bang on regarding star trek shields, though they do work significantly different from starmade for the most part.
    Shielding in star trek generally reduces and disperses damage if it cant deflect or absorb it, which is why you get scorch and pot marks on the outer hull even with minor encounters.

As stupendously powerful as startrek shielding is, it becomes less effective as it absorbs damage until it collapses.
    Luckily the folks in engineering are already dead from a core breach, half the command staff are in the infirmary for 3rd degree burns and all the red shirts have already been ejected through convenient hull breaches as distractions, so they don't care or need to worry about it.

The reason they need to drop shielding however is because shields are basically a localised field of gravitons, and at higher levels warped space quite significantly.
    Pretty much anything involving gravitons and transporters in canon usually results in bad news.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4

I think a higher likelihood of boarding will probably be a feature of armor-based ships in the future. It makes sense enough, as they are difficult to destroy.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    I'd have shielding anyways even with a higher amount of armor just because I can.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    now we need some one to make a president skroob reversed head skin.
    missed opportunity for a joke in the update trailer, guys XD

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Cargo and/or critter update deserves a yo momma joke or two.

Reaction score
    I noticed something when doing a site to site transport on the same entity. Your gravity status is lost. For example when I transport from the observation deck of my station to the docking deck on the same station I'm no longer in the stations gravity when I arrive. Is this expected? If it is any ideas on how to counter it?

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Sorry to say that, Schine, but this last atch has been for a while your most unstable released build. It almost crashes under its own weight. Even the jump drive activation message is screwed up. What were you guys smoking?

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Sorry to say that, Schine, but this last atch has been for a while your most unstable released build. It almost crashes under its own weight. Even the jump drive activation message is screwed up. What were you guys smoking?
    They broke out the good cat nip

Asvarduil

Builder of Very Small Ships
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I saw what happened in the original Star Trek movie. You won't be seeing me build any transporters. Keep up the good work, and thank you!
    Conversely, I've seen Shuttlepod One on Enterprise. Brushing aside the fact that I've watched Enterprise at all, I won't be building too many shuttles. Transporters make for way less campy sci-fi, and occasionally can do cool things like be set in a loop to compensate for getting stuck on the surface of a Dyson Sphere.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Conversely, I've seen Shuttlepod One on Enterprise. Brushing aside the fact that I've watched Enterprise at all, I won't be building too many shuttles. Transporters make for way less campy sci-fi, and occasionally can do cool things like be set in a loop to compensate for getting stuck on the surface of a Dyson Sphere.
    If anything was "campy," it was that strange technobabble explanation for getting Scotty on a show where he should've been dead. The way it's explained shouldn't have even been possible; if it was then there could just as easily have been a way to just let people sit in the pattern buffers (without cyclical... maintenance cycle... stuff that made no sense) that we might have seen happen at least once or twice somewhere else.

Asvarduil

Builder of Very Small Ships
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    If anything was "campy," it was that strange technobabble explanation for getting Scotty on a show where he should've been dead. The way it's explained shouldn't have even been possible; if it was then there could just as easily have been a way to just let people sit in the pattern buffers (without cyclical... maintenance cycle... stuff that made no sense) that we might have seen happen at least once or twice somewhere else.
    To be fair, that's quite a plot hole. As we all know Federation technology isn't worth the polycarbonate it's made from. Or, from SF Debris' take on Star Trek: Nemesis:

Picard: "Made with pride on Earth...for godssakes!"

Last edited:

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Fair enough. Still, I don't see the problem with using shuttles, though that may just be my Aethi bias. (We still use shuttles and transport pods, and will for the forseeable future except for cases where we need to change over from a shuttlebay to a cargo bay and use transporters instead)

Reactions: Asvarduil
    Reaction score
    schema said:
    One bug that had haunted me for a long time is (hopefully) finally fixed. Players should no longer fall out of moving ships upon sector change.
    well, you say that, but....

its still there, but not as bad. this time I jumped about 30 yards straight up off the deck. i was still in the ships gravity luckily.