Starmade V0.158

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Probably not. Right now, shields aren't even necessary, because every core has a low standard shield, and when you get a few ion effect modules (how many depends on the ship mass), you'll have an invincible ship (just don't forget to leave the ion effect modules on, and don't accidentally exit your ship in a fight). And the stop effect module also appears to be bugged, it does the same as the overdrive module does (when used defensively), for almost no energy penalty. Did you use the d1000? Because the other one is a lock-on rocket, so if you accidentally used that one, it could explain why it locks on.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    The new engine update is good in my opinion, it only affects stupidly huge ships and that is completely fine by me.
    Meanwhile anyone who kept their feet on the ground and built sensibly weren't affected at all.

This is a good update, good work once again comrade Schema.
    I have an ship that is only 150 m long I can barely fit two turrets on the neck and my thrust went from 7600 to 2200. To compensate I,ve had to fill every space I can reasonably fill in order to get up to 4900. For me to get to where I was I will have to fill the entire ship with thrusters.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The thrusters behave worse and worse the more you put on - and you DO need to put more on. At over 46K thruster blocks my 20K mass ship barely has a 1:1 thrust/mass ratio and an individual thruster block only gives 0.4 thrust while still taking its 1 power. Over a thousand thruster blocks, the per block efficiency gets dropped like the bass at a dubstep party. Small ships are now oneshot because the new shield scaling, even after the hotfix. The game in its current state is a mess, and forcing players and serveradmins to rewrite the config files in order to make it playable is screwed up level 10 on a scale of 10. I'd also really love to know the creative process behind the idea that only correctly working system in the game (thrusters) needed "balancing", and a brief explanation of why these new values are better than the old ones. Currently, you need double the block count for a correctly set up shield system, at least double the block count in a weapon system to properly function (master/slave/effect), triple the power capacity if you use missiles, and God knows how many times more thrusters, to keep a generally increased mass mobile with the decreased thruster power. Fighters are useless: you can't put functional shields and functional weapons on a low block count ship, because the increased block count of both systems makes it almost impossible to pump out more DPS than a capital's shield regen rate, while your ship gets oneshot by the first lock-on missile turret you come across. The new thruster settings cause a catch 22, because you need a big ship to survive but you can't make your ships big because they won't be able to move. This time, it might be a wise idea to actually revert the settings to an older version (0.156 or 0.157) and work on new content like FTL travel or fix age-old bugs like the Magic Missile bug instead of playing with random numbers and call it "balancing".

Reactions: Unnamed25

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I think i found a bug relating to logic clocks

I was testing my cruse control system when all of a sudden the clock stopped mid flight. i've done a few tests and it seems that they suddenly shut off without warning while a ship is flying.

As a side note ive also found that directional fire from weapons is bugged. before the patch they would fire reliably but after they are inconsistent.

removing the computer and placing it again seems to do the trick but it can be very annoying to do that.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Summary: Game is broken. Volvo fix pl0x.
    Gotta agree. I don't even play StarMade now. It's unplayable, unless I play single and seriously modify both server.cfg and BlockBehaviorConfig. Otherwise, ships are useless, and I can't even refit. Ever since 0.154 every single build forced me to make my ships bigger to keep the same stats and performance. It's totally out of control now because these thrusters simply DO NOT WORK on big ships. After a certain number they can't even compensate their own added mass.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Gotta agree. I don't even play StarMade now. It's unplayable, unless I play single and seriously modify both server.cfg and BlockBehaviorConfig. Otherwise, ships are useless, and I can't even refit. Ever since 0.154 every single build forced me to make my ships bigger to keep the same stats and performance. It's totally out of control now because these thrusters simply DO NOT WORK on big ships. After a certain number they can't even compensate their own added mass.
    Yep... Personally, I'm only still playing because of the dev build, which has a new thrust config with more options. Supposedly the config has placeholder values and isn't 'balanced,' but if this is what unbalanced is I'd rather stick with that. When we said we wanted larger ships to be slower in combat, we didn't ask for an extremely low thrust-derived size cap.

Reaction score
    Hey does anyone know how to change the max values in the advanced build mode?

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    Thank you, I looked in the server.cfg but I couldnt find which one to change
    You're looking for "Player_Max_build_area", the default is 10, change that number to whatever you like. It's line 93 at the bottom of the server.cfg. :)

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Nah, in the next update there should be what's already in there (Crafting update, signs, fixed area trigger rendering in build mode, etc.), plus some kind of farming system. You'll see why. :P

(Chairs, ladders, and other functional furniture would be good in the following update, but meh)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Personally I'd like to see the crafting system and some love for servers. Servers seem to get bogged down as soon as they exceed about 10~15 players.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Crafting system is coming, that's confirmed. Optimizations are essentially confirmed too, though not for this update.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    ** There was a typo in the config
    I've had to enter alot of 0.x integers on the config, and that habit bit me with the thrust setting.

Located at Line 43 -
    <UnitCalcMult>1.1</UnitCalcMult> <!-- multiplied with result of UnitCalcStyle -->

This is the correct setting that should be in your starmade/data/config/blockBehaviorConfig.XML

Instead of adding the .1 (to compensate for the initial 0.9 on the diminishing curve) I typed 0.1
    that was giving small ships a severely reduced initial thrust. Sorry for the slip guys, but if you look in that file, there are alot of numbers to get wrong :(

I'll get schema the updated config ASAP and he'll upload it with the next hotfix (I'm sure you've found other bugs by now, right?)

Further balancing can be done from here if needed.
    . . . .So I didnt need the massive overhaul and upgrade I just finished doing to my entire fleet? . . .dang.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The problem with all this new stuff is that I don't know what ion effect does (without figuring it out by doing a lot of work ingame) and that I haven't found a good description jet.

I am a bit confused of what belongs to the old weapon system and what to the new (confused by things that did not rename to something new).

The block config lost all formatting (indentation) in the new version - very annoying

<PulsePower style="nerf" value="5" linear="true" />
    Is value multiplicated? added?
    Does nerf mean "decrease value" or "making it worse"?
    <Reload style="buff" inverse="true" value="5" />
    What the hell does inverse mean?

Why is push force so different with beams and amcs?
    Why does amc with push effect still do damage?

Why is it sometimes a DumbMissile*** xml tag and sometimes just Missile?

<PowPerThrustCollection>1</PowPerThrustCollection>
    What does collection mean?

<TakeOffEffectPowerConsumptionMult>1</TakeOffEffectPowerConsumptionMult> <!-- multiplied by force -->
    <EvadeEffectPowerConsumptionMult>1</EvadeEffectPowerConsumptionMult> <!-- multiplied by force -->
    not easy here -> nobody usually has an idea what forces to expect.

Do you want something like that?
    • 1k mass = 3% thruster blocks for 1:1 thrust
    • 10k mass = 4% thrusters
    • 100k mass = 5% thrusters
    • 1kk mass = 6% thrustrers
    • 100kk mass = 8% thrusters
    The power regen soft cap will cross your plan to make a formula for that.