Starmade Q&A: Stuff confirmed so far

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Purchased!
    More features for display blocks planned: more tags, logic interaction and LUA scripting.
    hummmMMmMMmmmmm .. interesting... BUT .. how exactly LUA scripting will work? and how it would interact with other entities? ( other logic blocks, other displays blocks for more complexity, wireless blocks ... )

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    hummmMMmMMmmmmm .. interesting... BUT .. how exactly LUA scripting will work? and how it would interact with other entities? ( other logic blocks, other displays blocks for more complexity, wireless blocks ... )
    Not sure... Been a damn long time since I made this list so I don't remember if they mentioned anything else on that...

Reaction score
    If I may, A word of warning with regard to Lua Scripting.

A certain other voxel based building game cheesed off some of its user-base when it added Lua. While it is amazing the things that Lua can do, it should be implemented in a way that doesn't put players who don't use it at a disadvantage. Particularly since this game has more multiplayer interaction, it could could cause issues if all players start feeling they have to learn Lua to keep their ships competitive in combat, as there will almost certainly be sizeable portion of players who have no interest in coding when they play the game.

I'd humbly suggest that if Lua gets added, then the regular logic system gets access to the same triggers as are available to Lua. So if there is a "If enemy within 5000m" trigger/variable, there should be a vanilla logic block equivalent so users who don't want to code don't feel left out.

Also, there is the potential for performance degradation caused by large or badly written scripts, so some servers might want to turn it off entirely.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    If I may, A word of warning with regard to Lua Scripting.

A certain other voxel based building game cheesed off some of its user-base when it added Lua. While it is amazing the things that Lua can do, it should be implemented in a way that doesn't put players who don't use it at a disadvantage. Particularly since this game has more multiplayer interaction, it could could cause issues if all players start feeling they have to learn Lua to keep their ships competitive in combat, as there will almost certainly be sizeable portion of players who have no interest in coding when they play the game.

I'd humbly suggest that if Lua gets added, then the regular logic system gets access to the same triggers as are available to Lua. So if there is a "If enemy with 5000m" trigger/variable, there should be a vanilla logic block equivalent so users who don't want to code don't feel left out.

Also, there is the potential for performance degradation caused by large or badly written scripts, so some servers might want to turn it off entirely.
    It's not only about triggers, it's about the overall mass of the system as well.

Reaction score
    it's about the overall mass of the system
    Which is another good point, as that also was an issue where I've seen Lua implemented before. The miniaturisation possible in a Lua controlled ship can make them infuriating for what you might call "vanilla" players.

Core+power+cannon+luabox x100 and then watch the swarm dismantle a carefully built player ship*. I'm not saying Lua is bad, it can add a lot to a game, but it has to be done carfully to keep the game fun for everybody.

*Or just lag like crazy.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Which is another good point, as that also was an issue where I've seen Lua implemented before. The miniaturisation possible in a Lua controlled ship can make them infuriating for what you might call "vanilla" players.

Core+power+cannon+luabox x100 and then watch the swarm dismantle a carefully built player ship*. I'm not saying Lua is bad, it can add a lot to a game, but it has to be done carfully to keep the game fun for everybody.

*Or just lag like crazy.
    I think LUA should be used for AI exclusively, not block behaviour.

Reaction score
    Great News ! I am looking most for this -----> Visual and audial feedback when your ship is damaged to certain levels.

Reaction score
    With the recent inclusion of sensors, we could pretty much do this now with the inclusion of a sound file block.

For example, a block that would play a klaxon sound could be triggered by a sensor reading that shields were down to 10%. The possibilities are endless...

Reactions: Mariux

Markonius

Head of Finance at OOB
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Great News ! I am looking most for this -----> Visual and audial feedback when your ship is damaged to certain levels.
    Just watch any of battle videos for starmade which were filmed by losing side. You will get plenty of rage...eh I mean 'audial feedback' there.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Just watch any of battle videos for starmade which were filmed by losing side. You will get plenty of rage...eh I mean 'audial feedback' there.
    Yep the Bleeps per second are high with those videos. :P