Starmade Q&A: Stuff confirmed so far

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    "- Advanced AI that's capable to dock to carriers and follow waypoints is planned."

WHEEEEEE

Do I need a carrier now? ...I do need a carrier now

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    "- Advanced AI that's capable to dock to carriers and follow waypoints is planned."

WHEEEEEE

Do I need a carrier now? ...I do need a carrier now
    Nope don't need one but we're all going to make one anyways when able. XD

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I don't need a carrier.
    But an automated taxi might an interesting and useful system...

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Thank you for putting this together. I would have done it myself however you beat me by two days. Additionally the video export to youtube is being finicky and I am not sure when the stream will be available there. Hopefully sooner rather than later. Just to clear some stuff up.

procedurally generated
    There are currently 5, maybe 6 factions planned that will be present in everyone's game. Of course you can alter that so they are different for your own server along with any other assets the game uses. You have currently been introduced to two. Procedurally generated factions will be created to fill in the gaps. Additionally those factions will likely use assets created from future contests in order to give them unique assets that are different from the more established factions.

Devs also considered polygonal Space Engineers-like planets.
    It's been considered however no actual talks of changing planet shapes has come about. We want them to be larger and more interesting and varied. We might even achieve a scale that allows us to change the shape. It's not a focus at the moment however so do not expect major changes to the current planet system, just improvements.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Hey devs, are there any changes planned to the way armor currently works? Im sure most players would agree that it is more of a novelty than a useful feature at this point.
    It would be nice to see ships without sheilds (but layerd in armor) viable builds.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Hey devs, are there any changes planned to the way armor currently works? Im sure most players would agree that it is more of a novelty than a useful feature at this point.
    It would be nice to see ships without sheilds (but layerd in armor) viable builds.
    Standard armor has significantly more EHP than a shield capacitor provides. The only issue is that it doesn't cover the entire ship.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Shields are important, however you might be sending less internal space on shields in lieu of crew quarters. Crew will give you benefits, the best crew could make you quite a force to be reckoned with. And with that comes walls lined with (presumably) armor/hull. If by then changes need to happen they will. You would be surprised at what damage you can take when you have a full interior.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Thanks for your reply Criss!
    Do you know if Solar Sails are on the table? (Or in the far future?)
    For us Asthetic builders Solar Sails would be amazing and give our giant Sail 'Look Alikes' some functionality.
    I presume theyd be favoured for long-haul type trips, with low, but constant and low cost acceleration, and could be used in addition to thrusters (While thrusters would be favored by combat-type ships).

For example, my current WIP ship:
    Id love for the sails to actually be sort-of functional XD

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Thank you for putting this together. I would have done it myself however you beat me by two days. Additionally the video export to youtube is being finicky and I am not sure when the stream will be available there. Hopefully sooner rather than later. Just to clear some stuff up.

There are currently 5, maybe 6 factions planned that will be present in everyone's game. Of course you can alter that so they are different for your own server along with any other assets the game uses. You have currently been introduced to two. Procedurally generated factions will be created to fill in the gaps. Additionally those factions will likely use assets created from future contests in order to give them unique assets that are different from the more established factions.

It's been considered however no actual talks of changing planet shapes has come about. We want them to be larger and more interesting and varied. We might even achieve a scale that allows us to change the shape. It's not a focus at the moment however so do not expect major changes to the current planet system, just improvements.
    No problem. Always glad to help. I'll add the new info to the OP.

Reaction score
    I'd love to see a vacuum system and needing a special block to make interiors livable. why have a helmet otherwise? space itself isn't scary at this point

also just wanted to say thank you for slabs

Reactions: Mariux
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Oh, they say they won't be called space whales. But lets face it. Regardless of what they call them, WE will all call them space whales.

Because.

SPACE WHALES.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Cross Entity rail movement is literally the one thing I care about.