Starmade Player model

Reaction score
    this isnt really a suggestion, more of a offer to the dev team.

i made this last night, i wanted to challange my self to make a super customizable low poly model and i figured i would give the starmade character a shot. i am quite happy with how it turned out. If you guys are interested, i can do some animations and weapons aswell. that is, if you would like to use these. if not, that is fine to :D i had fun makeing them reguardless!! thanks for the hours of fun!

I made them in such a way that you could easyly change the intire look of the character by editing the texture file, much like how minecraft does it.

Reaction score
    I really like your design although it seems a bit blocky and has too big legs (since the bodys are so sleek).

It would be definitively nice to see this ingame sice it is so much better than a Rectangle with movable limbs

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Well, all the idea of this game are... rectangles, so a rectangle head with legs is also the proper idea for a blocks game :D

Reaction score
    maybe you could make a mod that replaces the models for the client:) (of course when the game is finished;))

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Body is kinda small com paired the the legs and head but overall looks great!

Reaction score
    You know, I actually love these models. They are very clearly in an anime/chibi style which I\'m not sure fits the game\'s aesthetic, as well as textured to be of a more sleek and flashy mecha sci-fi universe, but besides that I think they\'re excellent. Perhaps inspiring even. It helps that you did an excellent job on the texture as well as the model. :) (I could nitpick about the efficiency of the arrangement of the UV map but that could always be adjusted.)

I am always a supporter of modding and giving the community options, options and more options. The process of getting models ingame isn\'t as easy as I wish it could be as it creates a bottleneck for modding, especially for things with large numbers of animations. (Such as players.) I obviously have a lot on my plate at the moment, but feel free to PM me to talk about models and animation. I\'m enough of a fan of this model that when I have time I could probably help get it exported in a format the game accepts with a full set of animations. :) That\'d no doubt please quite a crowd of people, and I\'d have no problem if lots of people wind up using your modded model instead of my own when playing. I\'m an avid modder of a wide variety of games myself. The only major problem I can easily foresee would be some skins meant for this model and others for the default model, splitting the skinning community.

In a way, you could say my model, the upcoming new official player model, is intentionally designed to be dull. Earlier iterations had more detail and defined silhouettes, but that proved to not be what Schema wanted. The incredible simplicity of my model has the one major benefit of allowing the texture/skin to define the look, not the shape. It\'s plain and dull by design; it\'s the community that will give it life, and its generic shape assures utmost versatility in a wide variety of circumstances, including both community skinning and ingame animation. It actually felt rather awkward making a model with so little detail and contour; I\'m used to so much more detail.

But hey, Xeno, great work. :) Your little chibi models are stylish, sexy and an interesting new take on what the StarMade player could be. If you want me to work with you on getting it ingame sometime, let me know. (Because I\'d like to see it ingame myself!) On the other hand, I might just enjoy talking about modeling, animating and texturing with you. Send me a PM if you want to talk. :)

If any of the rest of you would like to see this as a downloadable mod, let us know your support. (In this thread. No need to try to \"spread the news\" if he\'s already in direct contact with me.) I can\'t promise anything regarding the model, but it\'s always nice to get the opinions of the community.

Reaction score
    Omni I understand that you are putting a serious amount of time into this but Wall of texts are only scaring people away...

Oh and to get back to my initial post I really love the models but I would love them even more with an higher resolution texture (Comeone that the game consists out of blocks doesnt mean that we can\'t have some nice skins)

EDIT: I read the wall of text so I know what I am talking about -_- It is still SCARY

Reaction score
    Omni I understand that you are putting a serious amount of time into this but Wall of texts are only scaring people away...

If it scares them away, that\'s their problem. The post was directed at Xeno, the creator of the model, and was also actually very positive if you read it. Of course I\'m putting a serious amount of time into this, StarMade. :) I assume you\'d rather have a dedicated and invested team than a slacking one. Though when I say \"invested\", I don\'t mean \"self-conscious\". I posted in this thread because I love these models. ^__^ I\'m enjoying seeing other people make their own attempts at a player model, and this one in particular sticks out as high quality. :)

Oh, and in response to your first post:

I really like your design although it seems a bit blocky and has too big legs (since the bodys are so sleek).

The legs are big as that\'s part of the style, just like the head is huge in proportion. You might not be into the anime/chibi sort of thing, but I\'d say Xeno hit his goal right on the mark. :)

Reaction score
    I didn\'t read the wall of text. great model though

Reaction score
    a little update

i modeled a gun as well as tried a few different lighting effects. I also included a simple image of the mesh for those interested. I plan on makeing more weapons and adding them to the characters texture sheet so that players can have differnt looking weapons to match there outfits, or even factions. You might notice that the guns the characters are holding look differnet (one being a lazor pistol, the other being a revolver) they are infact useing the same mesh with some use of transparency to change there look.

I appreciate the wall of text

Reaction score
    g mod? as in halflife? never played it, sorry. I can definitely see a resemblance tho c:

Reaction score
    Actually, now that you mention it, I can certainly see the resemblance. I always used to use the Combine Elite model when playing Garry\'s Mod.... But Xeno\'s model is pretty clearly inspired by more Japanese sources. Would look perfect in an anime, especially with mecha. Would look perfect in a mecha anime game, while we\'re on that subject.

Oh, and Xeno and I are now in contact via Skype. :) That means in the future you might very well see this sexy little model ingame, though as an optional client-side mod not as an official part of the game. Though if StarMade ever uses Steam Workshop (which I have absolutely no idea if it will, hadn\'t thought about it before), that would be an excellent way to spread the model to a wider audience. (Still unofficial, just easier for StarMade customers to find.) This is all only speculation, don\'t quote me on any of the above.

I am Keaton Pursell, modeler and animator for StarMade, and I approve of this model. *thumbs up* I love what the communities of games come up with. I\'ll be watching for updates!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    i don\'t care if this comes as mod or official i will have it :D i hope :D

Reaction score
    have you guys not heard about the official new player model? - http://star-made.org/content/new-player-models-coming

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    well i have. but still i like this one beter than that... but im not saying that the upcoming skin is bad... it as epic as these ones :) but still i like this style more than upcoming ones

Aze

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I personally think the model is great, I do hate...hate....hate...hate the artstyle though as I\'ve hated it since my early years, but that\'s my opinion so what does it matter!

Anyways, I love the model itself, it\'s got the cubey feel somewhat but not as much as the other, but that\'s the thing, it shows we are not for cubes, but for voxels, and this is definitly voxels!

And with a skinning system, you can change the art style of the skin to what ever you please!

You my good sir have my support all through and through!

EDIT: I like the paint for the suit, but not the head.