Starmade Player model

Reaction score
    I prefer Omni\'s model, seems easier to skin properly as well, but I think this one should indeed be available as some sort of mod in the future, for the people that want it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Holy shit, I love these models! Very talented, as shown, and the textures you\'ve done makes this even better! I love this! Way superior over the default models! Great job!

Aze

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    they seem like they both would have a similar amount of dificulty to skin, so skinning them would be rather much a similar effort as their model\'s curvature remains with the same polygon method, this one however has a bit more shape and curvature!

I agree that there should be options and such, and that this should at least become a mod or option for the game at some point.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Actually that player demo there has no actual skin texture, just the face. The rest is grey.

Reaction score
    have you guys not heard about the official new player model? - http://star-made.org/content/new-player-models-coming

Yeah, I\'ve heard of it. I\'ve been making it after all. ;) But there\'s nothing wrong with other people expressing their creativity and showing it to the community! That\'s one of the things StarMade is all about.

Actually that player demo there has no actual skin texture, just the face. The rest is grey.

Correct. To make the boots and gloves darker, I used a grand total of two base colors for the body, haha. In other words, those renders and that news post are only to show the upcoming model\'s existence and give people an idea of the rough shape they\'ll be making their skins on, to get them prepared. The head has a simple texture, but thrown together quickly. (With the only real goal being to make something that strongly resembles the old model.)

I prefer Omni\'s model, seems easier to skin properly as well, but I think this one should indeed be available as some sort of mod in the future, for the people that want it.

While rectangular shapes like those of my model are simple, that simplicity does indeed make them easier to skin. The body shape is extremely straightforward and predictable, allowing skinning to be the same.

they seem like they both would have a similar amount of dificulty to skin, so skinning them would be rather much a similar effort as their model\'s curvature remains with the same polygon method, this one however has a bit more shape and curvature!

It\'s that very shape and curvature which makes it more difficult to skin! It\'s harder to predict what you\'re going to get when the model is more unusually shaped; the more simple, plain and basic the model, the more the texture takes over as what defines the model visually. I love how this model looks: and the texturing is ace as well. ;) It\'s very stylish. However, if you tried to make a bulky alien, you might run into some issues/limitations.

I agree that there should be options and such, and that this should at least become a mod or option for the game at some point.

When I say I believe in options, I mean that passionately. As such, you can expect me to try to make sure as many things can be toggled, changed or customized as possible. And in the same vein, you can expect me to support getting this model ingame, assuming no problems come up. :)

Reaction score
    HEY GUYS! enjoy a update! now with boosters and more guns!! Some time in the future i will post the texture file for you folks to try your hand at editing the textures. I am interested to see what you guys can do with custom textures c:

Reaction score
    Epic work, though once again clearly heavily anime-inspired. Not sure I can really imagine anyone carrying that big gun on the ground as ground troops, but if we go in that aforementioned mecha direction, I can definitely imagine someone flying one of those suits and dual wielding two of those puppies. (Yes, dual-wielding the big cannons.) Probably taking down small aircraft with ease.

To be honest, I\'m starting to be more excited about the thought of what this model could be used for besides StarMade. It\'d still look great in StarMade, but it\'d be amazing in a game of its own. :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You could just change the face and you wouldn\'t recognize it. I personally like a lot the consistency of the body (more than the actual and future models).

Reaction score
    Please tell me this is going to be in the game.

Or at least an option. :D

Reaction score
    These models are unique and pretty cool looking I do like what you\'ve made here with this model especially the weapons you\'ve made for it. I would love to see it as an option in the game to use. Great models though and if not an in-game option for it at least a mod , also I love the guns you\'ve made :D.

Reaction score
    this is incredible, i really hope it gets implemented into the game.

like seriously they look amazing lol

Reaction score
    That is awesome!!

I like the multiple choices of weapons we can use in the game.And that jetpack/boosters too c:

Reaction score
    I love both the style and the model itself, but it\'s given me a few ideas. What if the pink/purple lights on the suit was an option that could be customized to another color like green or blue? I\'d love it if a model like this could be added in-game as an option. That leads me to another point, and I guess a question which would be aimed at Omni. What if we eventually had different player models to choose from in the creation of our player, rather than a default? I\'ve always thought that customization increases a player\'s attachment to their avatar. Anyway, great work Xeno, and I hope to see it in-game soon.

Edit: I also wanted to add that I really like the fact that Xeno added a female model, as my wife plays SM, too, and would appreciate it.

Reaction score
    wow this is so cool i mean wow your doing a grait job i hope this becoems used or atleast a mod

Reaction score
    I like these models, though I do like Omni\'s too (would be nice to see female version of Omni\'s).

What did stand out to me is the females siloutte of her breast/ waist/ hip ratio, which is more realistic than most 3D models out there. Since women tend to have larger hips than the width of the shoulder blades. What makes the measurements almost the same is the size of the breasts NOT the width of the shoulders.

I do tend to agree with Omni on the weapons though.

Adding in a Modding of character would be awesome, but would take a LOT of time. So it could go on the wish list on \"After release\".

The helments looks awesome though.

Reaction score
    Your designs are slightly reminiscent of the game and its sequel. Also, if you have played, you should understand the game has an excellent character editor. Maybe if these models where used you could have the developer change the heighth and width of it by editing it off the character Skelton sort of what has just been done in the indie game Overgrowth. Keep up the good work Xeno. If all else fails you could always create your own game.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like the sleeker design, but I prefer Omni\'s from a (occasional) skinner standpoint simply to make it easy and blocky to design on paper before doing anything on a paint program.

Both are cool though.

Maybe we can have both cakes in-game, or have some way to pick a player model from a dropdown list on world entry? That\'d be pretty fun since it allows for future expansion of player models, encourages more variety of skinning with the inspiration multiple models have.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    i love the cartoonish style much better than the more human proportioned models. i say we should have a vote among the forums on which player model to use and/or have both models optional in development and see which one is more well received. the 8-bit style textures here are also more reminicent of the in-game textures. i would love to see this make waves as a player favorite during development.

Reaction score
    The decision is ultimately left to the developers and the players of the game have absolutely zero say in what they do. That said, hypothetically if those developers, Schema maybe, decided that he likes both this design and the officially one there could be room to implement a system on editing the polygons and skin textures to the same skeleton ( to keep the animations the same of course). This may happen at some point if their is actually pirate AIs in the game anyways.