Starmade Necessary Additions (Communications and Industry)

Should a ship's max speed be based on the weapons, shields, and armor it carries? Shuttles get 100s

• Yes

Votes: 3 27.3%
    • No

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .
    Reaction score
    Thread is to discuss the addition of Communication mechanics and Industry (Factory/Shipbuilding) reworking.

Meaningful in game chat systems.
    /Local /l (Speak in a 20 block radius)
    Useful for speaking to nearby players/giving orders without using the main chat (Default)

/Shout /s (Speak in a 50 block radius)
    For merchants selling products/asking for assistance/recruiting nearby players.

/Whisper /w (Speak in a 5 block radius)
    ̶S̶u̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶e̶c̶r̶e̶t̶ ̶s̶p̶y̶ ̶m̶e̶e̶t̶i̶n̶g̶s̶ Like PMs/Private messages but for a small, nearby group.

/PM /p (Private messaging)-(#Added)
    For sending orders to a single unit or ̶H̶u̶r̶t̶f̶u̶l̶ ̶g̶r̶e̶y̶t̶i̶d̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶t̶a̶l̶k̶i̶n̶g ̶ Important information not ment for global.

/Reply /r (Quickly reply to pm)
    Already have this I believe.

/Mail /m (Maaaail tiiiiime~)-(#Added)
    Sending notes/suggestions/orders/̶e̶x̶t̶r̶e̶m̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶l̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶u̶n̶r̶e̶a̶d̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶m̶e̶s̶s̶a̶g̶e̶s̶ to offline players, or online to be saved for later viewing.

/System /e (Speak to everyone in the same system)
    For when you need to tell the guy to pull over for a speeding ticket. ̶S̶t̶e̶a̶l̶t̶h̶y̶ ̶b̶o̶a̶r̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶h̶o̶s̶t̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶a̶k̶e̶o̶v̶e̶r̶s̶

/Global /g (Oh god it's so annoying)-(#Added)
    We already have this, just please don't make it default!

/Faction /f (We have this too, really useful!)-(#Added)
    "GORGE MELONS, YOU HAD *ONE* JOB!"

/Alliance /a (Faction chat, but for your allies as well)
    Only those given special permissions from their faction may use this chat.

/Distress /q (Send a proximity/system wide message to nearby ships for help)
    One per 30 minutes. Useful for when you're stranded in space after a large battle, or are being attacked by pirates.

Ideas
    Custom Shortcuts/Commands made by users and stored in the prefs.ini

Items
    *Hand Radio (Automatically use when you whisper, shout, or local chat while holding)
    Messages to anyone in the same system using the same channel.

*ShipBoard Radio (Same as the hand radio, but a block that can be placed and activated)
    Messages to anyone in the same ship using the same channel, can also use the same channels as the radio.

Bugs-(#Still Needs Fixed)
    The player looks up and down faster than it turns, creating an unnatural feeling that forces players
    to turn up their sensitivity, which at any time you go to turn, causes the head to bob up and down wildly.
    (Fix the head/body looking/turning, it's so obnoxious that my friends and I cant play.)

More to follow:.....

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    /Mail /m (Maaaail tiiiiime~)
    Sending notes/suggestions/orders/̶e̶x̶t̶r̶e̶m̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶l̶o̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶u̶n̶r̶e̶a̶d̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶m̶e̶s̶s̶a̶g̶e̶s̶ to offline players, or online to be saved for later viewing.
    This is already ingame and works pretty well imo.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    bump the shout to like 150-200 meter radius. 50 blocks is half a football field which I am sure I could hear someone pass the other end if they shouted.

ResonKinetic

SPICY hot dog child
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I had an idea like this, but instead of typing commands into our current chatbox, we write into channels (organized by tabs) in a new, overhauled chat window.

Reactions: SapioiT and Criss
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    /Local /l (Speak in a 20 block radius)
    Useful for speaking to nearby players/giving orders without using the main chat (Default)

/Shout /s (Speak in a 50 block radius)
    For merchants selling products/asking for assistance/recruiting nearby players.

/Whisper /w (Speak in a 5 block radius)
    ̶S̶u̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶e̶c̶r̶e̶t̶ ̶s̶p̶y̶ ̶m̶e̶e̶t̶i̶n̶g̶s̶ Like PMs/Private messages but for a small, nearby group.
    I agree to this, there needs to be a way to only speak within the bounds of a sector/station/room
    /PM /p (Private messaging)
    For sending orders to a single unit or ̶H̶u̶r̶t̶f̶u̶l̶ ̶g̶r̶e̶y̶t̶i̶d̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶t̶a̶l̶k̶i̶n̶g ̶ Important information not ment for global.
    Does already exist
    /Reply /r (Quickly reply to pm)
    Already have this I believe.
    I agree, there needs to be a command to automatically pm the last one who sent a pm to you.
    /Mail /m (Maaaail tiiiiime~)
    Press F4
    /System /e (Speak to everyone in the same system)
    For when you need to tell the guy to pull over for a speeding ticket. ̶S̶t̶e̶a̶l̶t̶h̶y̶ ̶b̶o̶a̶r̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶h̶o̶s̶t̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶a̶k̶e̶o̶v̶e̶r̶s̶
    Same as the other distance related commands.
    /Alliance /a (Faction chat, but for your allies as well)
    Only those given special permissions from their faction may use this chat.
    I like that!
    /Distress /q (Send a proximity/system wide message to nearby ships for help)
    One per 30 minutes. Useful for when you're stranded in space after a large battle, or are being attacked by pirates.
    Why not just spam global chat? :P
    The player looks up and down faster than it turns, creating an unnatural feeling that forces players
    to turn up their sensitivity, which at any time you go to turn, causes the head to bob up and down wildly.
    (Fix the head/body looking/turning, it's so obnoxious that my friends and I cant play.)
    I never encountered that, on the other hand, I am setting my DPI extremely high(can sweep across a 1600x900 screen by moving the mouse a centimeter)

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    can't tell you how many times some one PMed me and i had to control+up/down to backspace and type a reply. so please +1 to a reply

Reaction score
    Updated thread's already implemented features for those who don't realize we know.

But yeah, that "looking" bug and the lack of a local chat is what pushed me to stop playing after the patch.

Was expecting these things to be added/fixed due to the price going up as i'll gladly buy the game when these things are fixed.

Does anyone have any more ideas/suggestions to add to the topic of communication/industry?
    Such as factory mechanics, special blocks, more chat types.ect?

Reaction score
    I would say shout should just send to everyone within the current sector.
    I'd like to see a / shortcut for the shipboard radio too, instead of having to use an item.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    More chat options is nice and all, but what does the poll have to do with the thread?

Reaction score
    If so, he should've made a seperate thread.
    A bit judgmental without understand everything are we?

The poll was to see how people felt about a person's ship's main speed being affected by how powerful it is, allowing smaller, weaker players to flee while giving stronger ships better defensive power overall (Which can be circumvented by long range torps/siegecannons.)

That of course is not part of the discussion here, but a separate question for those whom are curious, like myself.
    A community question if anything to see how everyone as a whole felt about it.

Thank you for your input though.

Furthermore, please do not derail the thread, if you have nothing of value to add we have a global chat on the main site to use when you sign in.

Added idea of custom shortcuts from community member AsherMaximum - Thank You!

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    A bit judgmental without understand everything are we?

The poll was to see how people felt about a person's ship's main speed being affected by how powerful it is, allowing smaller, weaker players to flee while giving stronger ships better defensive power overall (Which can be circumvented by long range torps/siegecannons.)

That of course is not part of the discussion here, but a separate question for those whom are curious, like myself.
    A community question if anything to see how everyone as a whole felt about it.

Thank you for your input though.

Furthermore, please do not derail the thread, if you have nothing of value to add we have a global chat on the main site to use when you sign in.

Added idea of custom shortcuts from community member AsherMaximum - Thank You!
    I'm just saying it's a better idea to have a seperate thread explaining the idea in more detail with the poll. The idea seems quite interesting to be honest.

And please, don't think I'm trying to offend you. I'm just trying to help.